Recent Images In This Thread
- topicClothingtagged by SYSTEM, 7/18/11
- categoryDress Pantstagged by SYSTEM, 7/18/11
- categoryFootweartagged by SYSTEM, 7/18/11
- categoryShirtstagged by SYSTEM, 7/18/11
- topicShoestagged by Cleav, 2/21/15
- topicShoes Explainedtagged by Cleav, 2/21/15
- topicShoe Sizingtagged by Cleav, 2/21/15
- categorySuitstagged by SYSTEM, 7/18/11
Related Forum Threads
- Rock Your Socks- show your sock, shoe & pant combos Last post on Yesterday at 4:16 am in Classic Menswear
- NEW MEMBER INQUIRIES & QUICK QUESTIONS- CLASSIC MENSWEAR: WK OF APR 20, 2015 Last post on 4/26/15 at 5:41pm in Classic Menswear
- The Grad Lounge Last post on Today at 7:51 am in Classic Menswear
- Noodles' Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe) Last post on Today at 7:58 am in Classic Menswear
- The Best of B&S - Someone should buy this! Last post on Today at 8:00 am in Classic Menswear
What Should I Ask My Groomsmen to Wear?
Last edited: 9/2/13
- Tokyo Diaries, Day 1: It Begins! Ring Jacket, Petrosolaum, and Jun...Last edited: 6/22/15
- How Should I Start My Business Wardrobe?Last edited: 5/16/13
- Mad Men Is Totally Wrong About Suits and I Hate ItLast edited: 5/7/15
- Lanieri Presents: Deep Into the BlueLast edited: 4/13/15
- Andrew Lock
- The Armoury
- Bespoke England
- Buttons 'n' Threads
- Blue Owl
- David Fin
- David Reeves Bespoke
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Elite Suits
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- Foster & Son
- Franco Ercole Bespoke
- Geil Mode
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- Gordon Yao, Hong Kong
- The Hanger Project
- Henry Carter Neckwear
- Howard Yount
- John Elliott + Co
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- M Classic 101
- Meermin Mallorca
- Need Supply Co.
- Neo Nouveau
- No Man Walks Alone
- Oak Room
- Oscar Hunt
- Paul Evans
- Percy Ivor
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Temple of jawnz
- Thurston Bros.
- Uncle Otis
- Vastrm Fashion
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Wolf vs. Goat
- Wrong Weather
- Yellow Hook Necktie
- Zampa Di Gallina
Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear) - Page 679post #10171 of 309469/22/11 at 1:59pm
Styleforum Top Pickspost #10172 of 309469/23/11 at 4:47ampost #10173 of 309469/23/11 at 7:27amI came across a black DB trench coat in a thrift yesterday with no label other than the size (40R) and the fabric content/care instructions. No country of origin and no maker's label. It had a blue felt liner that buttoned in instead of zipping. It also had a detachable blue felt collar that buttoned on above the real collar. There were two inside buttons for the db and the belt had additional strapping to hole it in place in the belt loops. All of the buckles on the straps were black but the color was wearing off to show some ivory underneath.
It looked like this, exactly except for the color of the lining and there was no coat hook chain.
Honestly, it looked 30 years old if a day but was in very good condition. The thing that jumps out, though, is that the raincoat's main lining was in a Burberry print! Would an older model not have a label? I can't even see where it may have been removed. The whole thing was probably the highest quality piece of rainwear I've ever tried on.
Any opinions?post #10174 of 309469/23/11 at 7:54amProbably Burberry. Mighta been removed, or they might not have bothered at that point. A lot of high quality menswear prides itself on staying discrete, burberry very well might have been one of those at one point.
Also, let this be a lesson to you: if it's high quality and you like it, buy it regardless of the brand. Odds are that coat isn't there anymore.post #10175 of 309469/23/11 at 8:06ampost #10176 of 309469/23/11 at 9:19amQuote:Originally Posted by New Shoes1
Am I missing something on the Brooks Brothers Friends and Family sale or are several items more expensive during this sale? One example are the wool gabardine trousers, which are normally 2 for $230 ($115 per pair), but are now $126 (25% off the $168 price) and no discount for buying two pairs. Same goes with shirts, which are more expenisve now than if I use the 3 for $220 deal and my corporate 15% membership. Am I missing something?
I was able to purchase four sweaters at the normal two-for $499 price x 2 and using discount code 11FRIEND I obtained the 25% discount also - 09FRIEND didn't work for me. I recall reading on the BB site that one can't bundle the corporate and friends & family discounts, but you know it's always worth a go.post #10177 of 309469/23/11 at 10:32amQuote:Originally Posted by cptjeff
Probably Burberry. Mighta been removed, or they might not have bothered at that point. A lot of high quality menswear prides itself on staying discrete, burberry very well might have been one of those at one point.
Also, let this be a lesson to you: if it's high quality and you like it, buy it regardless of the brand. Odds are that coat isn't there anymore.Quote:
You guys are probably right since it's been raining torrents this morning. I drove by on the way to somewhere else but didn't stop back in to check. As good as it looked on me, it seems that somewhere in the past two months, I've become a size 38 and I'm trying to be more selective in my thrifting. It either fits, is extremely flippable or it goes back on the rack.
My question was more informational than anything else, I guess.post #10178 of 309469/23/11 at 12:25pmpost #10179 of 309469/23/11 at 12:37pmpost #10180 of 309469/23/11 at 12:39pmpost #10181 of 309469/23/11 at 1:22pmpost #10182 of 309469/23/11 at 1:36pmpost #10183 of 309469/23/11 at 2:00pmpost #10184 of 309469/23/11 at 2:50pm
I just bought a pair of Varvatos shoes, after wearing them for a couple hours I realized they're too tight in the right foot (left is fine). They only come in length sizes, not width. It's hard to say by how much they're too tight, but I can't imagine it's by much (i've never had shoes that were too tight before). They were a one-off, half price at the Rack, so I can't size up... should I just return them or will they stretch? They're suede, and I'm pretty sad I might have to bring them back.post #10185 of 309469/23/11 at 2:59pmQuote:Originally Posted by KingJulien
I just bought a pair of Varvatos shoes, after wearing them for a couple hours I realized they're too tight in the right foot (left is fine). They only come in length sizes, not width. It's hard to say by how much they're too tight, but I can't imagine it's by much (i've never had shoes that were too tight before). They were a one-off, half price at the Rack, so I can't size up... should I just return them or will they stretch? They're suede, and I'm pretty sad I might have to bring them back.
You can stretch leather shoes a little in the width, just be careful that you do it only a little at a time so you don't do it too much. Either buy a shoe stretcher or take them to a cobbler.
- Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)
Styleforum Top Picks
- Tokyo Diaries, Day 1: It Begins! Ring Jacket, Petrosolaum, and Jun...
- › John Elliott + Co - official affiliate thread 42 seconds ago
- › SPIER & MACKAY - Official Affiliate Thread 1 minute ago
- › Noodles' Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe) 1 minute ago
- › The official thrift/discount store bragging thread - Part II... 2 minutes ago
- › Kent Wang - Affiliate thread 2 minutes ago
- › "The Rake" magazine 3 minutes ago
- › The Grad Lounge 4 minutes ago
- › Random fashion thoughts - Part II (A New Hope) 8 minutes ago
- › The Official Beer Thread 9 minutes ago
- › What necktie would you wear with a buffalo plaid shirt and navy suit? 9 minutes ago
- › Human Scales Denny Suede Double Monkstraps by Mrvaerk
- › Brathwait - The classic slim wrist watch by Mrvaerk
- › Ps Paul Smith Laced shoes by yucaseca
- › Tom Ford FT5237 Eyeglasses Color 098 by Mrvaerk
- › Irish Setter Men's 838 Wingshooter 6" Waterproof Lace-up... by seanhorween
- › Borsa Long sleeve shirt by techstyles
- › Neil Barrett - LEATHER TROUSERS by newway
- › Mandarina Duck City Messenger by josh89
- › Quoddy True Penny Loafer by ppith
- › Timberland Men's Authentics 3-Eye Classic Lug Boat Shoe by Basil Ecurie
- › Tokyo Diaries, Day 4: Epic Tokyo Photo Dump -...
- › Tokyo Diaries, Day 3: The StyFoJapan Meetup!
- › Tokyo Diaries, Day 2: Quick Photo Dump!
- › Tokyo Diaries, Day 1: It Begins! Ring Jacket,...
- › Tokyo Diaries, Day 5: We Dye Stuff Blue
- › Tokyo Diaries, Day 6: Junky Special,...
- › Tokyo Diaries, Day 7: This Is The End
- › The #StyFoJapan EDC
- › The Styleforum x Huckberry Father's Day...
- › Fok's Gift Guide for Dads Who Refuse to...