Recent Images In This Thread
- topicClothingtagged by SYSTEM, 7/18/11
- categoryDress Pantstagged by SYSTEM, 7/18/11
- categoryFootweartagged by SYSTEM, 7/18/11
- categoryShirtstagged by SYSTEM, 7/18/11
- topicShoestagged by Cleav, 2/21/15
- topicShoes Explainedtagged by Cleav, 2/21/15
- topicShoe Sizingtagged by Cleav, 2/21/15
- categorySuitstagged by SYSTEM, 7/18/11
Related Forum Threads
- Rock Your Socks- show your sock, shoe & pant combos Last post on 8/27/15 at 8:52am in Classic Menswear
- NEW MEMBER INQUIRIES & QUICK QUESTIONS- CLASSIC MENSWEAR: WK OF AUG 24, 2015 Last post on Today at 4:46 pm in Classic Menswear
- NEW MEMBER INQUIRIES & QUICK QUESTIONS- CLASSIC MENSWEAR: WK OF JUL 20, 2015 Last post on 7/28/15 at 1:12pm in Classic Menswear
- NEW MEMBER INQUIRIES & QUICK QUESTIONS- CLASSIC MENSWEAR: WK OF JUL 6, 2015 Last post on 7/12/15 at 5:06pm in Classic Menswear
- NEW MEMBER INQUIRIES & QUICK QUESTIONS- CLASSIC MENSWEAR: WK OF APR 20, 2015 Last post on 4/26/15 at 5:41pm in Classic Menswear
What Should I Ask My Groomsmen to Wear?
Last edited: 9/2/13
- The Styleforum Brief: July, 2015Last edited: 7/12/15
- Carmina Shoes Presents: Five Shoes for Five WeddingsLast edited: 7/12/15
- Tokyo Diaries, Day 1: It Begins! Ring Jacket, Petrosolaum, and Jun...Last edited: 6/22/15
- How Should I Start My Business Wardrobe?Last edited: 5/16/13
- Andrew Lock
- The Armoury
- Buttons 'n' Threads
- David Fin
- David Reeves Bespoke
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- Geil Mode
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- Gordon Yao, Hong Kong
- The Hanger Project
- Henry Carter Neckwear
- Howard Yount
- John Elliott + Co
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- M Classic 101
- Meermin Mallorca
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- Oak Room
- Paul Evans
- Percy Ivor
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Temple of jawnz
- Thurston Bros.
- Uncle Otis
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Wolf vs. Goat
- Wrong Weather
- Yellow Hook Necktie
- Zampa Di Gallina
Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear) - Page 679post #10171 of 311689/22/11 at 1:59pm
Styleforum Top Pickspost #10172 of 311689/23/11 at 4:47ampost #10173 of 311689/23/11 at 7:27amI came across a black DB trench coat in a thrift yesterday with no label other than the size (40R) and the fabric content/care instructions. No country of origin and no maker's label. It had a blue felt liner that buttoned in instead of zipping. It also had a detachable blue felt collar that buttoned on above the real collar. There were two inside buttons for the db and the belt had additional strapping to hole it in place in the belt loops. All of the buckles on the straps were black but the color was wearing off to show some ivory underneath.
It looked like this, exactly except for the color of the lining and there was no coat hook chain.
Honestly, it looked 30 years old if a day but was in very good condition. The thing that jumps out, though, is that the raincoat's main lining was in a Burberry print! Would an older model not have a label? I can't even see where it may have been removed. The whole thing was probably the highest quality piece of rainwear I've ever tried on.
Any opinions?post #10174 of 311689/23/11 at 7:54amProbably Burberry. Mighta been removed, or they might not have bothered at that point. A lot of high quality menswear prides itself on staying discrete, burberry very well might have been one of those at one point.
Also, let this be a lesson to you: if it's high quality and you like it, buy it regardless of the brand. Odds are that coat isn't there anymore.post #10175 of 311689/23/11 at 8:06ampost #10176 of 311689/23/11 at 9:19amQuote:Originally Posted by New Shoes1
Am I missing something on the Brooks Brothers Friends and Family sale or are several items more expensive during this sale? One example are the wool gabardine trousers, which are normally 2 for $230 ($115 per pair), but are now $126 (25% off the $168 price) and no discount for buying two pairs. Same goes with shirts, which are more expenisve now than if I use the 3 for $220 deal and my corporate 15% membership. Am I missing something?
I was able to purchase four sweaters at the normal two-for $499 price x 2 and using discount code 11FRIEND I obtained the 25% discount also - 09FRIEND didn't work for me. I recall reading on the BB site that one can't bundle the corporate and friends & family discounts, but you know it's always worth a go.post #10177 of 311689/23/11 at 10:32amQuote:Originally Posted by cptjeff
Probably Burberry. Mighta been removed, or they might not have bothered at that point. A lot of high quality menswear prides itself on staying discrete, burberry very well might have been one of those at one point.
Also, let this be a lesson to you: if it's high quality and you like it, buy it regardless of the brand. Odds are that coat isn't there anymore.Quote:
You guys are probably right since it's been raining torrents this morning. I drove by on the way to somewhere else but didn't stop back in to check. As good as it looked on me, it seems that somewhere in the past two months, I've become a size 38 and I'm trying to be more selective in my thrifting. It either fits, is extremely flippable or it goes back on the rack.
My question was more informational than anything else, I guess.post #10178 of 311689/23/11 at 12:25pmpost #10179 of 311689/23/11 at 12:37pmpost #10180 of 311689/23/11 at 12:39pmpost #10181 of 311689/23/11 at 1:22pmpost #10182 of 311689/23/11 at 1:36pmpost #10183 of 311689/23/11 at 2:00pmpost #10184 of 311689/23/11 at 2:50pm
I just bought a pair of Varvatos shoes, after wearing them for a couple hours I realized they're too tight in the right foot (left is fine). They only come in length sizes, not width. It's hard to say by how much they're too tight, but I can't imagine it's by much (i've never had shoes that were too tight before). They were a one-off, half price at the Rack, so I can't size up... should I just return them or will they stretch? They're suede, and I'm pretty sad I might have to bring them back.post #10185 of 311689/23/11 at 2:59pmQuote:Originally Posted by KingJulien
I just bought a pair of Varvatos shoes, after wearing them for a couple hours I realized they're too tight in the right foot (left is fine). They only come in length sizes, not width. It's hard to say by how much they're too tight, but I can't imagine it's by much (i've never had shoes that were too tight before). They were a one-off, half price at the Rack, so I can't size up... should I just return them or will they stretch? They're suede, and I'm pretty sad I might have to bring them back.
You can stretch leather shoes a little in the width, just be careful that you do it only a little at a time so you don't do it too much. Either buy a shoe stretcher or take them to a cobbler.
- Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)
Styleforum Top Picks
- The Styleforum Brief: July, 2015
- › Official Sales Alert thread 2 minutes ago
- › Makr Ruck Sack 2 minutes ago
- › Truman Boots 5 minutes ago
- › The official thrift/discount store bragging thread - Part II... 6 minutes ago
- › Fjallraven Kanken Backpack - Laptop 15" 14 minutes ago
- › Suitsupply NYC 18 minutes ago
- › John Elliott + Co - official affiliate thread 19 minutes ago
- › The What Are You Wearing Today (WAYWT) Discussion Thread, Part II 30 minutes ago
- › Things that are pissing you off. 31 minutes ago
- › The new official TOJ thread - updates, complaints, etc... 31 minutes ago
- › Human Scales Braided Dark Brown Belt by Mrvaerk
- › Human Scales Carlos Red Stripe Sweater by Mrvaerk
- › Carmina for Epaulet Grey Suede Steinbeck Boot by Patek
- › Human Scales Denny Suede Double Monkstraps by Mrvaerk
- › Brathwait - The classic slim wrist watch by Mrvaerk
- › Ps Paul Smith Laced shoes by yucaseca
- › Tom Ford FT5237 Eyeglasses Color 098 by Mrvaerk
- › Irish Setter Men's 838 Wingshooter 6" Waterproof Lace-up... by seanhorween
- › Borsa Long sleeve shirt by techstyles
- › Neil Barrett - LEATHER TROUSERS by newway
- › Announcing the winner of the Kent Wang...
- › Styleforum Visits Viberg Boot Company
- › Mohair: A Little-Known Hot-Weather Cloth
- › The Myth of the Nice Guy: Baseball’s...
- › Three Gin Cocktails for Summertime
- › Styleforum Visits Blue Blue Japan
- › Styleforum Eats its Way Through Tokyo
- › David Looks Back at Pitti Uomo 88
- › Streetstyle: The Best Pictures From Pitti...
- › The Styleforum Brief: July, 2015