• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Conditioning the lining of the shoes?

koolhistorian

Reaction score
Ok, probably I'm running completely crazy but today, when putting some Crema Alpina on a pair of shoes (after wear, before trees) I've put some conditioner also on the lining, thinking that it has also to be nourished. Some other people done that before?

Roger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've thought of doing that and think that it's an excellent idea.
smile.gif
After all, the lining is exposed to wear too, and to the potentially-degrading effects of perspiration. I guess we don't do this much because we don't want to get conditioner on our socks, but I think that if you really rubbed it in and then removed all the excess carefully, by the time you wore the shoes again, very little, if any, residue would end up on the socks. I think I'll start doing this too. And Crema Alpina is a really great conditioner. I've used it for some time, but now the stuff I'm getting from Franco's is called Crema Nubiana--which Franco's say is the same thing renamed.

koolhistorian

Reaction score
Yep, Crema Alpina is Nubiana rebranded for Bata store, in fact is one of the few things worth to be bought from them!

lee_44106

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You guys are nuts, pure and simple.

Guys polishing the soles of shoes and now conditioning the lining? WTF? It's a pair of shoe, not some national treasure.

grimslade

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Conditioning the linings seems unnecessary.

taktikz

Reaction score
Originally Posted by lee_44106

Guys polishing the soles of shoes and now conditioning the lining? WTF? It's a pair of shoe, not some national treasure.

LOL

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by grimslade
Conditioning the linings seems unnecessary.

Depends on the age. Not bad once in a while.

Eccentric

Reaction score

If it can prolong the life of a shoe, then it isn't nuts. This is especially true considering the price many forum members pay for shoes.

lee_44106

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Eccentric
If it can prolong the life of a shoe, then it isn't nuts. This is especially true considering the price many forum members pay for shoes.

I've got the ultimate solution for preservation of shoe life:

DON'T WEAR THEM. Store on shelf, admire once in a while, polish as needed and take pictures.

Cravate_Noire

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have *********** shoes to make them feel well.
Get them creamed once a month (or week, year etc. depending on you rotation) and once day you will have many healthy shoebabies.
But pls care for avertion or you will come in a situation like aportnoy, who has become a case for the young shoes welfare office.
If adoption will be necessary then, pm me and I will take of any unwanted children.

mimile

Reaction score
I've got the ultimate solution for preservation of shoe life:

DON'T WEAR THEM. Store on shelf, admire once in a while, polish as needed and take pictures.

Originally Posted by Cravate_Noire
I have *********** shoes to make them feel well.
Get them creamed once a month (or week, year etc. depending on you rotation) and once day you will have many healthy shoebabies.
But pls care for avertion or you will come in a situation like aportnoy, who has become a case for the young shoes welfare office.
If adoption will be necessary then, pm me and I will take of any unwanted children.

+1 !!!!!
worship.gif

Eagle

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Eccentric

Based on my experience and on what I have read in these fora, it would seem that those who pay the higher cost for high end shoe brands, have so many pairs of shoes, they will never be able to wear them out, whether they take care of them or not!
wink.gif

lee_44106

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DocHolliday
How often have you had to stop wearing shoes because the lining was dried out? I can worry about these things only so much.

Beyond that, seems like adding more moisture to the interior of a shoe is counterintuitive.

Doc,

You're like that experienced voice that comes in late and make an issue black and white instead of the multiple shades of gray.

Your point is very pertinent. We tree ours shoes for the stated purpose of keeping the inside DRY.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I've never conditioned my linings, and haven't even considered doing so. My linings are all in good shape and I don't recall having any ever wear out.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads