or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Entertainment and Culture › Bands You Want to Like More than You Actually Do
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Bands You Want to Like More than You Actually Do

post #1 of 130
Thread Starter 
There are probably certain bands/artists that you recognize as producing quality music, and yet for whatever reason, you can't seem to get into them as much as you feel like you should. For whatever reason, you really WANT to like their music more, but it just doesn't strike a chord with you.

What are some bands that fall into this category for you? Here is a short list off the top of my head:

Radiohead
The Replacements
Sigur Ros
Bad Brains
Belle & Sebastian
The Beatles
post #2 of 130
With the caveat that I may very well get into these in the future as I continue going back to their albums: My Bloody Valentine Pavement LCD Soundsystem/Justice/electronic bands like that Portishead
post #3 of 130
radiohead sigur ros wilco my morning jacket arcade fire iron and wine vampire weekend all bands most of my friends really love and make me feel stupid for not liking.
post #4 of 130
I wonder how many times Sigur Ros is going to pop up in this thread. Also, for those who have listed/will list Radiohead, is it their entire body of work or just there more electronic-influenced stuff from Kid A on? I wouldn't think The Bends is that hard to get.
post #5 of 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian278 View Post
I wonder how many times Sigur Ros is going to pop up in this thread. Also, for those who have listed/will list Radiohead, is it their entire body of work or just there more electronic-influenced stuff from Kid A on? I wouldn't think The Bends is that hard to get.

Seconded. Even OK Computer is pretty easy to get.

My list would be:

- Post-KidA Radiohead
- Animal Collective (they REALLY grate on me, but a lot of my friends with good taste love them)
post #6 of 130
I guess I am weird but Kid A is the only Radiohead album that I own and actually find interesting. The others (mostly older ones) I borrowed and just felt bored by them. Amnesiac and onwards doesn't really click with me either, despite that one actually being from the same recording session.
post #7 of 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by clarity View Post
I guess I am weird but Kid A is the only Radiohead album that I own and actually find interesting. The others (mostly older ones) I borrowed and just felt bored by them. Amnesiac and onwards doesn't really click with me either, despite that one actually being from the same recording session.

+1

I'm treading lightly here as not to disturb Radiohead fanboys.
post #8 of 130
I have never been able to see the alleged genius involved in either The Beatles or The Rolling Stones.
post #9 of 130
Coldplay The Beatles (I'm so glad someone said it) Yellow Card The Killers
post #10 of 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by m@T View Post
I have never been able to see the alleged genius involved in either The Beatles or The Rolling Stones.

+1 i never did either
post #11 of 130
Post-OK Computer Radiohead
Sigur Ros (who's that BTW?)
Belle and Sebastian (another ?)
Steve Miller Band
Jimmy Buffett and the 12 songs he plays at every concert.
Spice Girls
Queen
Post-Eliminator ZZ Top
post #12 of 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas View Post
Post-OK Computer Radiohead
Sigur Ros (who's that BTW?)
Belle and Sebastian (another ?)
Steve Miller Band
Jimmy Buffett and the 12 songs he plays at every concert.
Spice Girls
Queen
Post-Eliminator ZZ Top

You want to like Jimmy Buffett and the Spice Girls more?
post #13 of 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by grundletaint View Post
radiohead sigur ros wilco my morning jacket arcade fire iron and wine vampire weekend all bands most of my friends really love and make me feel stupid for not liking.
Your friends are all hipster douchebags.
post #14 of 130
+ on Sigur Ros, Rolling Stones, Belle and Sebastian

Over the Rhine, Beth Gibbons (Portishead), Flaming Lips, Prince, Devendra Barnhart

-the flipside is in these similar styles, I do like the Beatles (well, you gotta grow up with it, I guess), Nick Drake, Innocence Mission, Massive Attack, M. Ward, Zero7.
post #15 of 130
+1 on LCD Soundsystem Flaming Lips Wilco Interpol Grateful Dead Edit: Right, I forgot about Prince. I respect the hell out of him...I just don't listen to him.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Entertainment and Culture
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Entertainment and Culture › Bands You Want to Like More than You Actually Do