or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto › Rolls Royce Automobiles.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Rolls Royce Automobiles. - Page 11

post #151 of 163
^^^Nice, indeed.
post #152 of 163
There was also one Bentley version produced (requiring a one-off wider version of the grill to be produced).





And here's a custom soft-top/headlight version...





There are some other Oil-Sheik toy abominations...but they shouldn't be looked at.
post #153 of 163
Quote:
Originally Posted by freshcutgrass View Post
There was also one Bentley version produced (requiring a one-off wider version of the grill to be produced).





And here's a custom soft-top/headlight version...





There are some other Oil-Sheik toy abominations...but they shouldn't be looked at.
I read that it was originally designed as a Bentley model.

images HERE
post #154 of 163
Don't hate me too much guys ....but I really like the Phantom

(from Flickr)


post #155 of 163
Quote:
Originally Posted by hypersonic View Post
Don't hate me too much guys ....but I really like the Phantom

They're nice cars, especially the convertible. Not my taste though.
post #156 of 163
I can see liking the Phantom, but those front lights are a dealbreaker for me. I was really hoping the Ghost would tone things down a bit more, while still having presence; that's what was lost between the Shadow and the Spur, imo.
post #157 of 163
Quote:
Originally Posted by epb View Post
I still wish I'd kept mine, and I plan to get another (coupe - ideally, a Park Ward, but there are only 15.

Revived to correct the above - I meant a James Young coupe,of which there are only 15 left-hand drive models, iirc. Below is a rhd one on eBay. Most people prefer the MPW version, and I like them as well, but I like how this preserves the lines of the sedan.

post #158 of 163
Thread Starter 
That's quite lovely.
post #159 of 163
Quote:
Originally Posted by LabelKing View Post
That's quite lovely.
I agree, very elegant.
post #160 of 163
I can't help but post... I love reading posts pertaining to Rolls Royce, Bentley... Really anything that is considered British Luxury. I read them for the content, but.. in complete honesty, I read them for the vocabulary. "Nice" is transformed to 'elegant, beautiful, etc" "Car" is transformed to "automobile, motorcar, etc" I don't quite know if people are trying to sound more refined, when speaking of a topic which is in itself quite refined... Or if these threads bring forth a new poster, and leave the "ricer boys" to chat about the newest intake for the RSX... Either way, quite entertaining. Quite smashing, elegant, luscious motorcars, those Rollers!
post #161 of 163
Quote:
Originally Posted by xpress View Post
I can't help but post...
I love reading posts pertaining to Rolls Royce, Bentley... Really anything that is considered British Luxury.

I read them for the content, but.. in complete honesty, I read them for the vocabulary.

"Nice" is transformed to 'elegant, beautiful, etc"

"Car" is transformed to "automobile, motorcar, etc"

I don't quite know if people are trying to sound more refined, when speaking of a topic which is in itself quite refined... Or if these threads bring forth a new poster, and leave the "ricer boys" to chat about the newest intake for the RSX...

Either way, quite entertaining.

Quite smashing, elegant, luscious motorcars, those Rollers!

Quite similar to what happens when people talk about italian cars.
post #162 of 163
Quote:
Originally Posted by xpress View Post
I can't help but post...
I love reading posts pertaining to Rolls Royce, Bentley... Really anything that is considered British Luxury.

I read them for the content, but.. in complete honesty, I read them for the vocabulary.

"Nice" is transformed to 'elegant, beautiful, etc"

"Car" is transformed to "automobile, motorcar, etc"

I don't quite know if people are trying to sound more refined, when speaking of a topic which is in itself quite refined... Or if these threads bring forth a new poster, and leave the "ricer boys" to chat about the newest intake for the RSX...

Either way, quite entertaining.

Quite smashing, elegant, luscious motorcars, those Rollers!

I think this is very perceptive.

Although, from a technical stance, Rolls-Royce vehicles have often failed to live up to their popular reputation as "The best cars in the world", the brand's image has been brilliantly managed over the decades.

Although I am often quite irritated by blatant snobbery and class-ism, I think Rolls-Royce has used these things very cleverly to best effect.

We all know that Rolls-Royce is all a myth -- just an abstract concept -- an idealized fantasy of fine living and prestige in the form of a car. After all, is it not rather silly to build a machine and furnish it with elaborately inlaid cabinetry, hand-stitched leather upholstery, heavily chromed metal, and finished off with a finely cast Art Nouveau sculpture of a half naked woman?. It really borders on kitsch. And yet, it all seems to make perfectly rational people go all lyrical and poetic. I know Rolls-Royce is not enjoyed by everyone -- but I am glad that such things do still exist ...regardless of how unnecessary they are.

Rolls-Royce has almost exclusively kept alive an old-fashioned romantic idea of the automobile as an "automated carriage", rather than just mere transportation -- and that is something special and worthy of respect.
post #163 of 163
Quote:
Originally Posted by hypersonic View Post

Rolls-Royce has almost exclusively kept alive an old-fashioned romantic idea of the automobile as an "automated carriage", rather than just mere transportation -- and that is something special and worthy of respect.

This should be published
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto › Rolls Royce Automobiles.