• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Recent Purchases (Classic menswear - formerly Men's clothing)

A Harris

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
The SW&D "Recent Purchases" thread has been something of a success: http://www.styleforum.net/showthread.php?t=13460 So I figure MC could use one. Let's see what you guys have been buying lately, it's great for ideas/inspiration. Please post or link pics if possible.

Last edited by a moderator:

Journeyman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Andrew,

Since you proposed the idea, you should tell us what you've been buying lately!

Coincidentally, one of my recently purchases was a lovely pair of Stefano Branchini shoes, purchase from a certain eBay seller called "worldclassconsignment". Very nice indeed.

Otherwise, I hope to soon pick up one or two Corneliani suits from Sierra Trading Post, particularly if I can find a discount voucher for STP floating around. I'll have to post picks when I purchase them.

J Simulcik

Reaction score
Just a couple of belts and a pocket square from Vineyard Vines' end-of-season sale.

edit: Also a pair of VV white cotton trousers from B&S, whusurdadi.

Trying to save a little for the pre-cruise spree in November.

Cravate_Noire

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That's actually not recent, but the pic was cool in pimpish way:
34yxnux.jpg

The panama's band that can be seen in the pic is navy and was changed to my request (it had a slimmer black band) about half an hour before the shop closed and 6 hours before the hat went on holiday (well, and I).
The man who owned the shop was about 400 years old and he wasn't 100% if he would find his wife in time, so that she could sew on the band
laugh.gif

Wes Bourne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ Cravate_Noire, the knit ties are very nice and I like what you did with the picture too. Not fond of horizontal stripes on dress shirts though.

As for myself, I received my first pair of C&J (benchgrade Westbourne) from P. Lal yesterday.
http://www.styleforum.net/showpost.p...3&postcount=47
bounce2.gif

Earlier this month, I bought a pair of discontinued Grenson Footmaster semi brogues made on their 77 last. Very similar to the current Grenson Radley (96 last) pictured below. I was told the newer 96 last is basically the same as the 77 in shape and proportions. As for other features, mine have channelled soles and a full rubber toplift vs stitched aloft (believe that's the term when the stitching is exposed) soles and combination dovetail heels on the Radley.
smile.gif

maxnharry

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Wes Bourne
^ Cravate_Noire, the knit ties are very nice and I like what you did with the picture too. Not fond of horizontal stripes on dress shirts though.

As for myself, I received my first pair of C&J (benchgrade Westbourne) from P. Lal yesterday.
http://www.styleforum.net/showpost.p...3&postcount=47
bounce2.gif

Earlier this month, I bought a pair of discontinued Grenson Footmaster semi brogues made on their 77 last. Very similar to the current Grenson Radley (96 last) pictured below. I was told the newer 96 last is basically the same as the 77 in shape and proportions. As for other features, mine have channelled soles and a full rubber toplift vs stitched aloft (believe that's the term when the stitching is exposed) soles and combination dovetail heels on the Radley.
smile.gif

That's a good looking shoe and I don't think I have ever seen a chiselled Grenson like that. Where did you find that?

JordanB

Reaction score
I'm having an odd jacket made at Mr. Ned in an olivey-tweedy fabric with a burgundy and tan windowpane.

I'm also having a charcoal shirt-jacket made at CEGO.

Both should be good once it gets a tad chilly.

maxnharry

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by RIDER
As a responsible taxpayer, apparently 37 bad mortgages.

wonder if I'll ever get to visit the properties.......

We're going to wish it was 37 whole mortgages and not the head-cheesy bits of mortgages that we're actually buying.

fuji

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I bought a pair of Churchs slippers last week. This weekend i should be buying 2 hermes scarves and a hugo boss money clip.

bmulford

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by RIDER
As a responsible taxpayer, apparently 37 bad mortgages. wonder if I'll ever get to visit the properties.......
I'd be surprised if we really see the bulk of the taxation come from income tax. Chancellor Paulson is an avid proponent of Keynesian economics, and thus will primarily hit us via an involuntary currency tax; inflation. That is because most "mainstream" economists believe an intervening government must spend their way out of a recession and reduce individual taxation to stimulate consumption. Our Fed/Treasury has the added bonus of denying inflation even as it happens (e.g., mortgage speculations were not considered inflation by the Fed). Not to mention the foreign central banks that have been coerced into financing so much of this fiasco. It's like the US Fed is starring on the economic version of Jerry Springer. "Jerry, I did not know that she wasn't a Woman, or my sister". Ok I'm ranting... I for one welcome our new United States of France model. -------------- Back to something I can drown my sorrow's in; Purchases: Kiton Sartorio Sportcoat - Nordstroms Rack on Clearout Bespoke Navy Suit A few Luciano Barbara Wool Ties, and Kiton 7 fold ties - all on discount/clearout RLPL sweaters - clearouts Several RLBL fall sportcoats - factory closeouts Pocket squares - all on discount RLBL Flannel Pants - closeout And on order... Two bespoke Wool/Cashmere/flannel pants Black Suede Bal's from RM Still seeking... Black/Cream Houndstooth suit or sportcoat on serious discount (I mean like sub $500) Travel Style Bag in Cognac or Scotch Leather. Loop handles and top zipper so I don't have to bring my trashy briggs and riley workhorse into client meetings. Dark Brown medallion Bontoni, EG, Vass or Borgioli shoes - again on massive discount. If it weren't for retail discounts/clearouts, I'd have no wardrobe at all.

Cravate_Noire

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Kiton Sartorio Sportcoat - Nordstroms Rack on Clearout
Bespoke Navy Suit

A few Luciano Barbara Wool Ties, and Kiton 7 fold ties - all on discount/clearout
RLPL sweaters - clearouts
Several RLBL fall sportcoats - factory closeouts
Pocket squares - all on discount
RLBL Flannel Pants - closeout

And on order...

Two bespoke Wool/Cashmere/flannel pants
Black Suede Bal's from RM

If it weren't for retail discounts/clearouts, I'd have no wardrobe at all.
Regarding the content, that is not correct
laugh.gif

Wes Bourne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by maxnharry
That's a good looking shoe and I don't think I have ever seen a chiselled Grenson like that. Where did you find that?

^ Thanks! It's actually not that chiselled at all; it's accentuated in the picture I attached because of the flash hitting the toecap. I think it qualifies as a soft square toe; in person, the overall lines are quite soft from any angle. Of the shoes I own, C&J's 348 last is the most chiselled, followed by Tricker's 4537 last (be careful with that one, I find it has a lot of volume in the vamp area). When I hold those shoes and look at them straight from the front, I definitely see hard angles, which is not the case with the Grenson.

So if you're keen on those, just Google `Grenson Radley`, you'll find a multitude of sources as well as plenty of pictures from other angles. I've read many good reviews from other members about Pediwear (haven't tried them myself...yet). You might also enjoy this thread:
http://www.styleforum.net/showthread...hlight=Grenson

whacked

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ The Borrelli ties you have are beautiful.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 45 40.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 44 39.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 5 4.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 18 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 25 22.5%

Forum statistics

Threads