or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Recent Purchases
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Recent Purchases - Page 75

post #1111 of 14965
Quote:
Originally Posted by andyliu52 View Post
ahh im so stupid. things are worth whatever they retail for.
Actually they're worth whatever you'll buy them for. To me that means Balmain jeans are worth $0, to Socal it appears they were worth at least the retail price. It seems people do agree with him as Balmain has been doing really well, in no small part due to the Vogue France girls rocking it everywhere.
post #1112 of 14965
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuuma View Post
Actually they're worth whatever you'll buy them for. To me that means Balmain jeans are worth $0, to Socal it appears they were worth at least the retail price. It seems people do agree with him as Balmain has been doing really well, in no small part due to the Vogue France girls rocking it everywhere.

truth
post #1113 of 14965
its true that things are worth what people are willing to pay for them, but when a company makes a pricing decision they still need to take into account what other competitors are pricing their goods at

eg balmain sells jeans at 1000euro, dior sells similar jeans at 500euro, so people buy dior jeans and use the 500 euro for something else

so if balmain decides to sell jeans at 1000euro, there has to be some sort of differentiation between it and the 500euro dior jeans that makes them think they can still attract consumers at 1000euro

so i guess my question is, what differentiates balmain from other designer jean brands that justifies a 500euro price difference

i can understand the answer about vogue girls wearing it
post #1114 of 14965
Quote:
Originally Posted by andyliu52 View Post
its true that things are worth what people are willing to pay for them, but when a company makes a pricing decision they still need to take into account what other competitors are pricing their goods at

eg balmain sells jeans at 1000euro, dior sells similar jeans at 500euro, so people buy dior jeans and use the 500 euro for something else

so if balmain decides to sell jeans at 1000euro, there has to be some sort of differentiation between it and the 500euro dior jeans that makes them think they can still attract consumers at 1000euro

so i guess my question is, what differentiates balmain from other designer jean brands that justifies a 500euro price difference

i can understand the answer about vogue girls wearing it

the fact that they are 1000 euro jeans differentiates them
post #1115 of 14965
lol
post #1116 of 14965
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCal2NYC View Post
the fact that they are 1000 euro jeans differentiates them

True. That is actually a big part of the pricing strategy.
post #1117 of 14965
I spent last week in London, and picked up a number of different items:



* Umbrella from James Smith & Sons
* Three wool sweaters from Uniqlo
* Mens Ex magazine
* Beaufort jacket from Barbour
* Slippers from Shipton & Heneage
* Black cap toe shoes from Edward Green
* Clothes brushes from Kent
* Wool ties from Ingles Buchan (black, brown), Budd (blue, red), Dunhill (gray)
* Bow tie from Benson & Clegg
* Cashmere scarf from House of Scotland
* Two pairs of cufflinks plus a cufflink and stud set from Benson & Clegg
* Robe from Derek Rose
* Pen from Waterman
* Pyjamas from Harrods
* Suspenders from Turnbull & Asser
* Three irish linen pocket squares from Turnbull & Asser









Let me know if you have questions about any of the items.
post #1118 of 14965
My very first Hart Schaffner & Marx grey pinstripe 2 button suit last week. To complement that suit, bought a Tommy Bahama, Hugo Boss and Hickey Freeman dress shirts.

Today, got me a 7 for All Mankind white, long sleeve, single pocket buttoned shirt and a Puma track jacket.
post #1119 of 14965
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCal2NYC View Post
the fact that they are 1000 euro jeans differentiates them

I agree. The market is what the market wants. Balmain, if you like it or not, charges 1000 EU for a pair of jeans and that's what makes them worth 1000 EU.

SoCal is aces in my book.
post #1120 of 14965
It has been a quiet summer ... other than a few replacement staples ... there is only a new hat ... slightly different but colored the same as the one pictured below.



Now in late September there will be a visit to Arny's ... that may change things.
post #1121 of 14965
NYC/NJ trip purchases:



pocket squares


wedding ties?


socks


Unfortunately, the J.Press suit I picked up doesn't photograph well.
post #1122 of 14965
Rick Owens unstable cotton l/s tee Rick Owens cotton drop crotch pants with leather skirt attached Ruby Kobo evil eye black diamond necklace/bracelet Ruby Kobo black diamond strand necklace/bracelet Balmain modal/cashmere scarf Balmain black, grey and white tshirt Balmain grey zip hoodie Balmain distressed black cords
post #1123 of 14965
Perhaps this should go in the "thrift store" post, depending on your take on JCPenney.

Couldn't resist the 100% cotton American Living standard white dress shirts for just over $7. For that price, you can almost throw them away after a few wearings. Also found some plain jane chinos for $2.49 on "absolute, last chance clearance" according to the clerk.
post #1124 of 14965
I'm interested to see those Rick Owens pieces in action.
post #1125 of 14965
Just paid for one of these:

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Recent Purchases