or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Do you look down on the way strangers dress?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Do you look down on the way strangers dress? - Page 6

post #76 of 86
I don't look down on others unless there is something in particular that offends my sensibilities, like sagging pants or something vulgar. I do however judge others by the way they dress. It's not a conscious decision but I paint a picture in my head of a person's socio-economic status, culture, and sometimes hygiene as soon as I look at them. At times I wish I didn't care at all what others wear but I can't help drawing certain conclusions about someone as soon as I look at them.
post #77 of 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tried and True View Post

Most docs are like mechanics; they don't wear their Sunday best to work. Need I explain why?

but if that's your explanation then doctors should just show up wearing jeans and a t-shirt. the reality is that doctors work in an environment that requires them to show professionalism, so dress clothing underneath a white lab coat would be the norm. if we're going to say, 'doctors get covered in blood, piss, shit and vomit everyday, therefore they shouldn't wear the appropriate attire,' then they should give up.
post #78 of 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by gaseousclay View Post

but if that's your explanation then doctors should just show up wearing jeans and a t-shirt. the reality is that doctors work in an environment that requires them to show professionalism, so dress clothing underneath a white lab coat would be the norm. if we're going to say, 'doctors get covered in blood, piss, shit and vomit everyday, therefore they shouldn't wear the appropriate attire,' then they should give up.

Any doctor who does get covered in all that is probably in the OR in which case he would be changed and scrubbed prior to going in.

For every doctor covered in all that there are several who are office based and thus COULD dress as formally as they wish. Most of th eolder generation I know still wear suit or dress trousers, shirt, tie and lab coat on office days, although many (usually younger) are in the button down shirt, khakis and loafers now.
post #79 of 86
I do look down on men wearing suits to work. Let's face it; in today's world it's the dregs of society who wear suits, the lowest of the low- politicians, lawyers, bankers, brokers, CEO's, etc. Most decent people don't even wear suits to church anymore.
Then there's the people who wear shorts in the winter, or tennis shoes. Frankly, past a certain age (25? 30?) no man should ever wear shorts unless he's on the tennis court or at the beach.
I'm not as judgmental about women. They can wear shorts and flip-flops all they want, as long as it's appropriate for the occasion- not while riding a motorcycle, for example.
post #80 of 86
Looking down on anyone, let alone strangers, is pretty fucking stupid.
post #81 of 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by embowafa View Post


In the other scenario discussed, it's a bit frustrating when the topic of mens clothing comes up because "we" are generally out numbered. Most of the time, I just bite my tongue and let them believe what they want. For example, I got into a conversation with a coworker about suits and what the "staples" should be. I told him Navy and Charcoal. He responded with Black...of course. I said that Black, while suitable for waiters and undertakers, aren't as visually pleasing (and versatile) as a Navy or Charcoal or even Brown suit would be. He ignorantly said "Nah, black works". All I could do is say, "Maybe you're right".

I used to despise black suits, but I've changed my thinking on this. A clear concensus of women that I've talked to about this is that men look good in black suits. To me, that absolutely trumps any discussion of how visually appealing black suits might or might not be. Men, like those whose opinions you see here, might disagree with this, but given the choice of looking good to men or looking good to women, I'll take the later of the two. 

 

So if I wear a black suit to work, the men roughly think, "yep, he's wearing a suit" while the women roughly think "wow, he's hot." If I wear a non-black suit to work, the men roughly think, "yep, he's wearing a suit" while the women roughly think "yep, he's wearing a suit." And I personally find one of these alternatives to be greatly perferable to the other. 

post #82 of 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by lwmarti View Post

I used to despise black suits, but I've changed my thinking on this. A clear concensus of women that I've talked to about this is that men look good in black suits. To me, that absolutely trumps any discussion of how visually appealing black suits might or might not be. Men, like those whose opinions you see here, might disagree with this, but given the choice of looking good to men or looking good to women, I'll take the later of the two. 

So if I wear a black suit to work, the men roughly think, "yep, he's wearing a suit" while the women roughly think "wow, he's hot." If I wear a non-black suit to work, the men roughly think, "yep, he's wearing a suit" while the women roughly think "yep, he's wearing a suit." And I personally find one of these alternatives to be greatly perferable to the other. 
I don't think you can generalize the taste of an entire sex. A lot of women probably find some douche wearing a black v-neck t-shirt and a fedora hot but that doesn't mean it doesn't look terrible.

And I would venture to say how attractive a guy looks in a suit would depend more on the fit and pairings with the suit and not simply the color. A guy can look like a schlub wearing an ill fitting suit in any color.
post #83 of 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrpoizun View Post

I do look down on men wearing suits to work. Let's face it; in today's world it's the dregs of society who wear suits, the lowest of the low- politicians, lawyers, bankers, brokers, CEO's, etc. Most decent people don't even wear suits to church anymore.
Then there's the people who wear shorts in the winter, or tennis shoes. Frankly, past a certain age (25? 30?) no man should ever wear shorts unless he's on the tennis court or at the beach.
I'm not as judgmental about women. They can wear shorts and flip-flops all they want, as long as it's appropriate for the occasion- not while riding a motorcycle, for example.
This reminds me of a time I was heckled when visiting some friends in a really laid back liberal arts college for wearing a tie. I think judging someone negatively for wearing a suit or tie to be more square than wearing a suit itself. A truly open-minded and freethinking person wouldn't put someone in a box for what they perceive to be the uniform of the dregs.

Damn hippies.
post #84 of 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by lwmarti View Post
 

I used to despise black suits, but I've changed my thinking on this. A clear concensus of women that I've talked to about this is that men look good in black suits. To me, that absolutely trumps any discussion of how visually appealing black suits might or might not be. Men, like those whose opinions you see here, might disagree with this, but given the choice of looking good to men or looking good to women, I'll take the later of the two.

 

So if I wear a black suit to work, the men roughly think, "yep, he's wearing a suit" while the women roughly think "wow, he's hot." If I wear a non-black suit to work, the men roughly think, "yep, he's wearing a suit" while the women roughly think "yep, he's wearing a suit." And I personally find one of these alternatives to be greatly perferable to the other.

The problme with this is that most women just think they know what looks good on a man, and are just so used to the typical fashion bullshit that they get from their magazines that theyre prone to shoot back what they read, but if you showed up in front of a woman in a black suit vs showing up in charcoal/navy suit, more often than not theyre actually going to prefer the charcoal/navy unless it is for a night out setting.

post #85 of 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by bourbonbasted View Post

Looking down on anyone, let alone strangers, is pretty fucking stupid.
Quite. A shrink would explain that behavior as being rooted in insecurity and self-esteem issues.
post #86 of 86
People not dressing nice just means they aren't dressed nice. It isn't a reflection on socioeconomic status or virtue, despite how much some people on here want it to be.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Do you look down on the way strangers dress?