or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Do you look down on the way strangers dress?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Do you look down on the way strangers dress? - Page 2

post #16 of 86
I'd like to think SF has made me more open minded, not less. But I do notice when people are dressed inappropriately -- or, more specifically, failed to make any effort to dress appropriately.
post #17 of 86
I find myself looking up to people more often than not, seeing as I'm so teensy tiny.
post #18 of 86
The only time I look down on anyone is when they wear a bad suit, both in quality and/or fit. It you are going to wear a suit there is no excuse for sloppiness. Seeing a creased, wrinkled up suit or worse, a suit worn incorrectly, such as without a tie to a wedding (for the love of god) is a complete head shaker.
post #19 of 86
I've mellowed a lot in this respect. The only real no-no for me are the monstrosities that get seen at 'black tie' events.
post #20 of 86
No. However, I can't help but notice when people dress inappropriately for special or certain occasions.
post #21 of 86
I don't care about the prevailing opinion on SF, nor do I look down on people for their dress -- though I used to. Life is too short.
post #22 of 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayJay View Post
No. However, I can't help but notice when people dress inappropriately for special or certain occasions.

Exactly.
post #23 of 86
I do not look down on people at all. I am though often disappointed when I see someone eating at a restaurant wearing a t-shirt, ball cap or combination, which in Chicago, is just about everywhere.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Augusto86 View Post
Not usually, unless it's actually offensively bad.

A final level of hell is reserved for those who try to dress well, fail abysmally, but think they are the bee's nipples or whatever. A guy at a party two weeks ago was wearing:

Black Men's Wearhouse-ish pinstripe orphaned jacket; a pale pink shirt with contrast white FC's and cutaway collar; baggy, faded Express denim; scuffed, crumpled, square-toe bit loafers; a poorly-tied, no-dimple solid red tie; and, like the fetid, rotting, sickly maraschino cherry on a vomited wedding cake, a polyester-looking solid red pocket square.

I look down on that.

I find nothing to look down on in this circumstance. The guy thought he looked good and made an effort. Your attitude seems to be that if someone doesn't make an effort, you'll be good enough not to judge them. But, if they do, they had better meet your standards (du jour) or else you will look down on them.

Does it occur to you there may have been someone at that party dressed fully bespoke, mocking those (including you) that did not meet his sartorial standards, because according to your theory, that would be acceptable.
post #24 of 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by iammatt View Post
No.

you are a better man than me, my friend.

the other day I saw a guy in a gray suit and red satin shirt, and a maroon tie. my first thought was something along the lines of "idiot". of course, I wouldn't consider him a bad person or anything, but my first thought was to look down on him.


so, yeah, sometimes I do get a reaction where I look down on people for how they dress.
post #25 of 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by rach2jlc View Post
I agree; clothes/style/fashion/whatever are a personal interest and I don't expect everybody to care nearly as much as I do.

I only put them in their place when they have attitude about what they are wearing.
post #26 of 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocHolliday View Post
I'd like to think SF has made me more open minded, not less. But I do notice when people are dressed inappropriately -- or, more specifically, failed to make any effort to dress appropriately.

My feelings exactly.
post #27 of 86
Yes I do. I believe that it is a sign of moral turpitude. I also wish that ugly people would wear masks.
post #28 of 86
I never thought that I'm better than others because they dress like shit. But still there are days when you see somebody and you say to yourself, what the hell?!
post #29 of 86
...
post #30 of 86
In the last couple of years, beside reading SF every day, I've also payed closed attention to how people dress. What I gained was an inside about people background by just looking at their clothes. It's quite accurate most of the time. The NYC diversity certainly helped.

Do I look down on people? Not usually. Although sometimes, it's clear when people are wearing inappropriate clothes, most of the times culturally, i.e., I don't like it when people who should know better, don't know how to dress.

--trajan
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Do you look down on the way strangers dress?