• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Toe metal protectors

Haemus

Reaction score
I came across some links on a recent thread at thelondonlounge. These were about the nicest pictorials I have seen providing wonderful insight into the art of boot making, resoling, maintenance. I hope Mr Alden and the venerable members of thelondonlounge (and by extension depiedencap member author Monsieur Alexis Boniface) would not object to proliferation of knowledge for the benefit of brotherhood of shoe aficionados:

http://www.net.esa-paris.fr/~alexis_.../souliers.html
http://lil.univ-littoral.fr/~collet/...html#entretien

worship.gif

Wes Bourne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the links, always cool to read articles about shoe refurbishment. Really liked the piece detailing the installation of flush mounted toe taps:
http://www.net.esa-paris.fr/~alexis_...encastres.html
Yet, I'm surprised they entirely dismiss regular metal toe taps. If I were even remotely close to Paris, I'd drop off all my shoes at ATELIER CATTELAN for those flush mounted toe taps, those guys look very competent.

Cary Grant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Does anybody know of a similar site as the above in English?

I otherwise can find no reference to those metal toe taps... I imagine they are custom by thos cobblers? Looking for a solution for a pair of Italian shoes with pointier toes.

grimslade

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I wish I could find someone to do this for $18

Shikar

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by grimslade
I wish I could find someone to do this for $18

+1000

I reeealllly want those metal toe plates!

Regards.

vitaminc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
the flush mounted toe protectors look very nice. can it be done by a normal cobbler?

garmentmerchant

Reaction score
Somebody did a thread on this yesterday I am trying to remeber what the hell they called it. In any case if you live near any military post the cobblers outside base will do it for under $20. when i was in color guard we were required to have metal taps on heels and toes. Anyone in the DC area you will definately be able to get them down by arlington,Va and Ft Meyer everyone in the Old Guard is required to have them as well.

Eustace

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There is a cobbler I go to in Chicago that will do it, but he prefers not to because he has to shave the tip of the sole. I just get the raised metal taps, which I don't find noticeable at all when walking, but the flush taps do look pretty awesome. Today I got taps put on two pairs of shoes, some shoe conditioner and cordovan polish for $11. Not too bad.

kdaust

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Cary Grant
Does anybody know of a similar site as the above in English?

translate.google.com is your friend
smile.gif

Turns it into a readable english version, but as with all online translators sometimes misses the point. Gave me the gist of it though.

K

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
The one issue with flush plates being retrofitted, rather than made with that in mind, is that the welt would have to be cut around the toe.

Seems like a plus minus type of thing: you put the plate on to save the toe, but then you lose the welting to rely just on glue.

If it is made with that in mind, it's rockin.' I get flush rubber toe plates on my MTO Vass, but they finish the welt around that, as they do in the bespoke versions in this thread.

- B

Cary Grant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kdaust
translate.google.com is your friend
smile.gif

Turns it into a readable english version, but as with all online translators sometimes misses the point. Gave me the gist of it though.

K

Yeah- did that.
smile.gif

Talked to the guy regarded as among the best in the Twin Cities... he thought they might be able to fabricate something if I could get the blanks... oh well.

Pengranger

Reaction score
Originally Posted by voxsartoria
I get flush rubber toe plates on my MTO Vass...

I'm looking at getting an MTO G&G in the near future. Does anyone know if G&G will put these on as part of the order?

I've seen a lot of G&G bespoke with them added (however I can't quite afford them yet!)

Haemus

Reaction score
Originally Posted by bengal-stripe
That's a manufacturer (of the Manufactum stuff, I presume):
http://www.gowi.de/
Go to "Schuhbedarf"

They probably only sell wholesale.

There is a retailer in Vienna for shoe stuff of all kind:
http://www.schuhpfleger.at/

they do a range of irons:
http://www.schuhpfleger.at/show_subc...araturmaterial

In the latter link go to Gruppe - search Eisenartikel, Beschlage - there is your hardware.
By the way 'Stossplaetchen' & 'Stossplatten breit' made by Triumph (produce of above gowi.de) are not to be mounted flush, for those fainthearted about possible welt damage. On the other hand Triumph brand seems to be among the best in business (seen pictures of G&G, EG used Triumph). Only 'Einbauplatten' are used for flush mounting, where 'Stossplatten' are slightly concave.
Re schuhpfleger.at I met Mr Pawlik in person at the brick and mortar shop, quite a pleasant and knowledgable gentleman, also fluent in English. They sell retail, so perhaps you may try a phone call. Vienna is GMT+1 for those across the pond.
Lucky are those who could walk without toe protectors and yet have the sole at the toes to seem taken care for.

Haemus

Reaction score
Andre Yew;1323533 said:
Some G&G love for a change: recently-arrived bespoke brogues.

ggbrogue2.jpg

and another alternative to toe protection, which should not be welt detrimental at retrofitting - brass nails. It is also bespoke.
eh.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads