or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Opinions on Beater Watch - Seiko or Longines?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Opinions on Beater Watch - Seiko or Longines?

post #1 of 18
Thread Starter 
Need a go to watch for work & travel. Opinions on these, used Longines vs. new Seiko? Thanks.



post #2 of 18
You're doing pretty well if you'd consider either of these a beater watch. I'm a fan of Longines and the one you picture is very nice, but the Seiko is highly regarded here and is considered quite a value at it's price. You win either way.
post #3 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grayland View Post
You're doing pretty well if you'd consider either of these a beater watch. I'm a fan of Longines and the one you picture is very nice, but the Seiko is highly regarded here and is considered quite a value at it's price. You win either way.
+1. Both lovely watches. The Seiko has an in-house movement whereas the Longines will have an ETA (assuming it's a current model) - if that is of any significance to you.
post #4 of 18
I think they're both good looking and suitable for work/travel but I really like that Longines, What style is that and how big is it?
post #5 of 18
I like the longines much more. Am I right in thinking Longines is also a more prestigious brand then Seiko?
post #6 of 18
I would not buy a watch without a second hand, so I vote for the Seiko. Both are attractive watches. Also, if the Seiko doesn't come with a Sapphire crystal, I would have one installed. Personally I would prefer a watch with luminous hands and hour markers. I wonder if there is a model similar to these that is perhaps a bit more sporty and has that.
post #7 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by cvac View Post
I would not buy a watch without a second hand, so I vote for the Seiko. Both are attractive watches. Also, if the Seiko doesn't come with a Sapphire crystal, I would have one installed. Personally I would prefer a watch with luminous hands and hour markers. I wonder if there is a model similar to these that is perhaps a bit more sporty and has that.

The Spirit does come with Sapphire crystal.


re: sportier model, I really, really like the Alpinist, also casing Seiko's new 6R15 movement

http://www.seiyajapan.com/product/S-...t_SARB017.html
post #8 of 18
Longines is a nice watch. But, bang for your buck, can't beat a Seiko.
post #9 of 18
im am partial to Longines.......but really you can't beat the Seiko, it gets my vote!
post #10 of 18
Personally, I found the Longines just a bit more elegant. Admittedly dunno much about the mechanics of watches, though...
post #11 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by fuji View Post
I like the longines much more. Am I right in thinking Longines is also a more prestigious brand then Seiko?
i think the prestige of seiko....or perceived prestige is hampered by the company's commitment to producing watches at each end of the spectrum. A $75 seiko 5 and a 10K GS bears the seiko name. Longines is a great company with a very rich history, but makes nothing comparable to a GS in both accuracy and finish. Longines, IMO, is a lower end of the luxury brands with most of their watches in a relatively small pricepoint. If I had to compare the two brands, seiko would be VW and longines, lexus....but the VW group also makes the Bugatti Veyron....get my drift? do you all think this is a fair evaluation? with respect to these two specific models.....the seiko comes out on top...
post #12 of 18
I don't believe in beater watches. Between those two I would go for the seiko, but I wear my planet ocean everywhere and all the time unless I have a reason to wear another watch. The biggest issue I have with your choice (again, considering the word beater) is that those are leather banded models. When it is pouring down rain and you are 4000 miles from home in some other country, do you want to leave your beater watch back in the hotel? What about when you are out in the garden pulling weeds and forgot you had your watch on? Just my opinion... Take it for what it is (not) worth. Scot
post #13 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by whacked View Post
The Spirit does come with Sapphire crystal.


re: sportier model, I really, really like the Alpinist, also casing Seiko's new 6R15 movement

http://www.seiyajapan.com/product/S-...t_SARB017.html

Wow, gorgeous. Seiko really does make some of the most beautiful watches out there attainable at a reasonable price. Frankly, they make some of the most beautiful watches out there at any price.

The only thing that hangs me up a bit on them is the Seiko brand name. I know I'm committing the cardinal sin of caring about what other people think, but no matter how gorgeous the watch is, other people are going to look at it and think, "Oh, Seiko. I guess that's pretty, but it's a cheap mall watch."
post #14 of 18
IMO, Seiko > Longines. Plus, don't care much about how Longines promotes its heritage when the present Longines has no connection whatsoever with the old Longines except for the purchased right to own the name.
post #15 of 18
I've personally owned that Spirit. It kept time very well, and a pleasure to look at. Two things though: it's a little small at 37mm, and the case is a bit thick. I finally got rid of it (twice, since I liked it so much) because I wanted a thinner dress watch. Actually, everytime I see a used copy available, I still think twice about buying it, again. BTW, the leather strap is shell cordovan, which is a nice bonus. The Longines looks elegant, but like others have said here, it's probably not as good as the Seiko. That said, I am nostalgic for old Longines--like one my grandfather bought some 40-50 years ago that I hope will be mine one day.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Opinions on Beater Watch - Seiko or Longines?