or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Venting
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Venting

post #1 of 12
Thread Starter 
What do you prefer? Side vent jackets or center vent. Has anyone changed opinions over the last year to what they prefer?
post #2 of 12
I think side is more elegant and practical. I think center if done right is great too, but it will never be as elegant or as practical as side venting.
post #3 of 12
agreed
post #4 of 12
I think your question should be side or none. I'd go with side as a standard, ventless for more formal/less practical wear, and only occasionally center for "sporting" jackets.
post #5 of 12
Quote:
I think side is more elegant and practical.  I think center if done right is great too, but it will never be as elegant or as practical as side venting.
Exactly how I feel about the subject.
post #6 of 12
Quote:
I think side is more elegant and practical.  I think center if done right is great too, but it will never be as elegant or as practical as side venting.
Practical, I agree. I just bought a long topcoat with a center vent, and it demands quite a few contorsions when sitting down in my car to make it comfortable and to prevent wrinkles. Elegant, though, not necessarily: have you ever walked behind a man wearing a blazer with side vents? Up and down, up and down, goes the piece of fabric against the lower back... It is a different matter with a topcoat, but the flow of the fabric as I walk in my new topcoat is something I find quite elegant.
post #7 of 12
The "up down, up down" IS what makes it elegant.
post #8 of 12
Quote:
The "up down, up down" IS what makes it elegant.
Oh, really? It sort of makes me smile... It has a cuddly quality, I don't know.
post #9 of 12
If I've told you once, I've told you a million times: No vents.
post #10 of 12
Quote:
I think your question should be side or none. I'd go with side as a standard, ventless for more formal/less practical wear, and only occasionally center for "sporting" jackets.
i used to feel this way too, until very recently. i still prefer side vents as a matter of practicality, but i'd rather have a center vent than no vent at all. i just don't like the way ventless jackets look anymore. thanks to brian sd for changing my mind on the subject.
post #11 of 12
No vents for skinny tall men only. I am an average build and wear side vents.
post #12 of 12
Quote:
No vents for skinny tall men only.  I am an average build and wear side vents.
so 'skinny tall men' don't sit down or put there hands in their pockets? if the suit fits you, the your choice of vents should have nothing to do with your body type.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Venting