• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

kookydooky

Reaction score
Ive been wanting a pair of boots and Dr Martins seem like something I would like to check out The cherry red ones are the ones I am more attracted to but Im not sure if its a color I should go with for my first pair. How well do they go with things and would they go well with pretty much anything (its a pair of shoes I am planning on using often since I am getting sick of sneakers). Should I just opt for the vintage red color instead? Ive see Get Smart wear them and they just look too awesome but Im still new to the whole color coordinating thing. Also anyone want to make a statement on them comfortwise? Do your feet heat up badly in them and does your ankle feel comfortable bending around in boots?

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
comfort-wise, yes they will be one of the most comfortable shoes you've ever worn, once they're broken in and the leather has had a chance to bend and crease along the ankle

kookydooky

Reaction score
Gee wee, I never knew Dr Martens had that much connotation. I always just saw them as just shoes lol.

Im not sure if I should get them anymore since I am not sure about the black pair. What other boots are there around Doc Marten prices that are decent to get, something you can walk all day in.

GS do you ex/skinheads get annoyed or anything if you see anyone else wearing them who "shouldnt" be, because I dont really the type that likes to start trouble without even realizing it or draw attention in for the wrong reasons :S

mainy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have a few pairs.... they are ridiculously comfortable and pretty durable. Really the only boots I wear, not the most stylish, but I always end up wearing them anyway.

izlat

Reaction score
Yes.

I should get a new pair myself, haven't had them in over 7 years, after I wore out my previous pair in 5+ years of non-stop wear w/o care.

Comfort - weren't the most comfortable shoes / boots I've had but not bad either. Really depends on your feet
smile.gif

The only thing stopping me is that I don't think the new ones are too durable
frown.gif

R-H

Reaction score
I have a pair of old Dr Martins that refuse to die. They are extremely durable and have held up well under constant abuse.

The down side is that most Docs are bulky, heavy clunky beasts.

R-H

Reaction score
Originally Posted by kookydooky
Would they be bad for walking around the whole day??

I stopped wearing mine because I was sick of wearing these heavy steel-toed boots all day.

Also, they aren't as versatile as other footwear.

kookydooky

Reaction score
Do you think anyone can really pull off doc martens? What do you think of this color? Would it be more versitile than the the other colors (im not too sure about getting black, seems too "school shoey" to me) What is this color called? Also people who have DM's do they have the shinier look like GS's ones? Because thats the way I would want it but in pictures I have seen they look duller.

waxy

Reaction score
I'd love to own a pair, but I can't pull em off. Not my style I guess.
smile.gif

dave

Reaction score
If you get them, spring for the extra $$$ and get the MIE ones.They are worth it. i have a newer pair of black 1460s that are MIC and they REFUSE to break in. They never get worn now because of it. My MIEs al;most felt broken in from the day I got them. And go for the Navy if you don't dig the black. The navy is a really cool color that I actually wear pretty regularly. Not as much as my cherry reds but you can check the other thread for my opinion on the cherrys.

They are seriously some of the most comfortable boots/ shoes I've worn still. once the break in is done (which you don't even have to worry about if you opt for the 1461s) you can wear them all day long and your feet won't hurt. My GFs mom is a cop and she wears them w/her uniform if she knows she's going to be standing on a detail for a long time.

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
GS do you ex/skinheads get annoyed or anything if you see anyone else wearing them who "shouldnt" be, because I dont really the type that likes to start trouble without even realizing it or draw attention in for the wrong reasons :S
realistically, no you wont get harassed for wearing skinhead style Docs....but skins attract an asshole breed of guy, so it's good to at least know what you're referencing so that if you do get hit up and harassed you'll know why. It's less of a stigma now in 2008, than say in 1988 when I was into that whole scene. Back then good chance you would have been hit up and then probably hit if you didnt have the "suss"
What do you think of this color? Would it be more versitile than the the other colors (im not too sure about getting black, seems too "school shoey" to me) What is this color called? Also people who have DM's do they have the shinier look like GS's ones? Because thats the way I would want it but in pictures I have seen they look duller.
the navy is a cool color, a good alternative to black. Mine are shiny because I polish the **** out of them after every 2 wears. Again, old school skinhead habits die hard. For being correct grain leather they actually take polish pretty well and get really shiny. You can get the blue ones MIE on the dmusastore.com site

bbaquiran

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Also people who have DM's do they have the shinier look like GS's ones? Because thats the way I would want it but in pictures I have seen they look duller.

My black ones are always polished to a high gloss. My brown ones are also polished, but not as often so they're a bit duller.

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
depends on the leather you get too

that "bark grizzly" or the oil leathers wont ever shine up (I doubt the red vintage will either). stick with the standard leather (black, navy, cherry red)

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads