or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Entertainment and Culture › Ask Me About Magic
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Ask Me About Magic - Page 4

post #46 of 279
Will you always remember Lance Burton?
post #47 of 279
Dear Magician, Why is it that one of my socks always disappears in the dryer? Are you or someone of your ilk taking them? You know, they're not cheap... one lost Pantherella every few weeks really starts to add up in this economy. Pretty soon, I'm going to have to start downgrading to Ovadafut. Yours, "Sockless" in Cinci
post #48 of 279
Do you make up your own tricks?
post #49 of 279
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by acidicboy View Post
Do you like Doug Henning? them unicorn jumpsuit is wicked.
Henning was well before my time, but I imagine I would have had the same issues I have with Criss Angel. If you substitute skulls and goth-lite for hippies and new age nonsense you can see that. And after looking at some images of both I can't tell which performer dresses more poorly.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbaquiran View Post
Is there a current Best Magician in the World?
I think the best magician out there is English performer Derren Brown. His work has had quite an influence on me and my magic, and he has attained a pretty high level of fame and success while retaining a lot of integrity. He has a magnificent sense of theatricality and style that you can see in not just the magic but his scripts, timing and wardrobe. (Yes he's gay...no he's not single)
post #50 of 279
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by West24 View Post
i hate criss angel. hes the billboard for douchebag. his shit is so over the top and those people are all actors. they talk and they just scream C actor. why are most magicians either A) socally retarded or B) think it will get them girls when its probably one of the last things that will get them girls. 99% of magicians cant make their virginity disappear.
Very loaded question and yet I share similar sentiments. I think I already addressed Criss Angel so let's get to the second bit. Magic attracts a unique brand of social misfit - you have to be awkward and lonely enough to spend ungodly amounts of time learning this stuff but enough of an attention whore to want to get up and perform for people. This is absolutely understandable, even charming in a young kid but becomes disastrous if it persists past adolescence. A lot of people cal it the sort of ultimate "nerd's revenge" Here is an area where you have power, you can do things that the jocks can't do - and magicians get carried away. Fortunately most magicians aren't like this, but there are enough out there to sour everyone to the concept. Still every single person I perform for I feel I'm doing my part to portray magic as a serious and resonant art. (like I said, the whole getting girls thing is it's own issue. Magic can actually be almost creepily useful when it comes to dating...but most people who are drawn to this this are exactly the hopeless nerd's we've so exorciated.)
post #51 of 279
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbadbuff View Post
What do you think of that guy on the Fox 'magic's secrets revealed' show, and do magicians know who the guy is? Has he been threatened with a 'real' disappearing act?
He is an actor from Vegas named Val Valentino and I personally have no issues with him. Overall I think it was good for the art to have magic in the public eye like that. He did really piss off the magic status quo - which is almost a good thing in my book.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntsman View Post
When I was quite young I used to watch Harry Blackstone on TV. I really enjoyed his work. My parents took me to see him when he appeared near us -- I remember nothing of the show except how much I enjoyed it.
Blackstone was the consummate professional. Set a very high standard in old school performance.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HORNS View Post
Will you always remember Lance Burton?
Burton is a fine performer of the classical tradition and I hope to see his act live some day.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rach2jlc View Post
Dear Magician, Why is it that one of my socks always disappears in the dryer? Are you or someone of your ilk taking them? You know, they're not cheap... one lost Pantherella every few weeks really starts to add up in this economy. Pretty soon, I'm going to have to start downgrading to Ovadafut. Yours, "Sockless" in Cinci
Despite years of research and study, this is a dilemma that goes well beyond my understanding of the Dark Arts. These gentlemen may be the best equipped to help you.
post #52 of 279
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dedalus View Post
Do you make up your own tricks?
More and more as I advance as a magician. I would say right now I'm doing about %70 original material and %30 other peoples. MY goal is more like %90 mine %10 others. It is quite difficult to create original, strong magic but it is also much more rewarding to perform. No trick will suit your character and dramatic premise better then one you create. Especially as I move more in to mindreading and hypnosis there is much room for creativity and original magic.
post #53 of 279
is the last part of a trick really called "the Prestige"?

I would imagine a magician could make a great street con-man as a side career
post #54 of 279
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magician View Post
Despite years of research and study, this is a dilemma that goes well beyond my understanding of the Dark Arts. These gentlemen may be the best equipped to help you.
Thank you. I emailed them with my query, but they blew me off, saying that they had more important concerns at the moment. Something to do with the "big bang." What the hell is up with that? I think my expensive Swiss socks are much more important. Anyway, I'll keep trying and hopefully someday figure this one out. Personally, I still think you're covering up something. I'll bet you have a very well-stocked sock drawer... By the way, will I reveal what a big dork I am when I say that I thought the mention of "Lance Burton" was a joke, because I wondered WHY someone would think Geordi from Star Trek was a magician...
post #55 of 279
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Get Smart View Post
is the last part of a trick really called "the Prestige"? I would imagine a magician could make a great street con-man as a side career
The structure put forth in the prestige was very accurate in terms of Magic Theory. i'm not sure if that was the exact parlance they used but Ricky Jay, probably the most knowledgeable magic historian alive, advised for the film, so the degree of historical accuracy is actually higher then one might expect. The techniques of the con artist are of course very similar to that of the prestidigitator and many of my strongest tools come from con men, not magicians. Let's just say both in general magic and my personal career there has been much cross-pollination and leave it at that....
post #56 of 279
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by rach2jlc View Post
Anyway, I'll keep trying and hopefully someday figure this one out. Personally, I still think you're covering up something. I'll bet you have a very well-stocked sock drawer...


Shhh......


Quote:
Originally Posted by rach2jlc View Post

By the way, will I reveal what a big dork I am when I say that I thought the mention of "Lance Burton" was a joke, because I wondered WHY someone would think Geordi from Star Trek was a magician...

Ahh. You are thinking of Levar Burton, not Lance, the accomplished Vegas illusionist. To my knowledge the former Burton has never dabbled in magic, but you'd be surprised at some of the celebs that have. Jason Alexander from Seinfeld, the late great Johnny Carson, Neil Patrick Harris and Woody Allen in fact.
post #57 of 279
Ok, I have to ask. How do you feel about Penn & Teller?
post #58 of 279
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas View Post
Ok, I have to ask. How do you feel about Penn & Teller?
Easily some of the best magic of our generation. Teller has also almost contributed some very valuable scholarship and theory to the magic literature. I was lucky enough to do a sort of meet and greet with Teller just prior to the premier of his Macbeth at the Folgers in DC, and he has such an impressive knowledge of not just magical, but cinematic and theatrical history, it's no wonder there act is as good as it is.
post #59 of 279
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magician View Post
Easily some of the best magic of our generation. Teller has also almost contributed some very valuable scholarship and theory to the magic literature.

I was lucky enough to do a sort of meet and greet with Teller just prior to the premier of his Macbeth at the Folgers in DC, and he has such an impressive knowledge of not just magical, but cinematic and theatrical history, it's no wonder there act is as good as it is.

post #60 of 279
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magician View Post
Easily some of the best magic of our generation. Teller has also almost contributed some very valuable scholarship and theory to the magic literature.

I was lucky enough to do a sort of meet and greet with Teller just prior to the premier of his Macbeth at the Folgers in DC, and he has such an impressive knowledge of not just magical, but cinematic and theatrical history, it's no wonder there act is as good as it is.

On top of being great magicians, Penn and Teller are EPIC WIN in my book for:
1) Being skeptics/Csicops
2) Bullshit the show.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Entertainment and Culture
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Entertainment and Culture › Ask Me About Magic