or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › How do these shoes stack up?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

How do these shoes stack up?

post #1 of 43
Thread Starter 
Hi guys. I know the price is probably really steep, but I was wondering what you guys thought about the quality? I think they are very nice looking. http://ferragamo.neimanmarcus.com/store....&cmCat=
post #2 of 43
They are nice looking. But the price--oh, my.
post #3 of 43
Those cost the same as a pair of Crockett & Jones Handgrade captoes (Whitehall, Audley, or Belgrave -- see http://www.crockettandjones.co.uk/New%20Pages/handgrade.html) at full retail, a shoe I'd much prefer.  You may not agree with me on that particular choice, but I don't think it's a stretch to say you could probably get a lot more value for the your $600 if you have a little bit of time to shop around. Regards, dan
post #4 of 43
For Italian shoes, member Ron Rider has gotten a lot of good press here for his Martegani product, at half the price. I'm told too that another shipment of the Grenson Masterpieces are on the way- bought a high-quality black captoe in December for $150.
post #5 of 43
I've seen these Ferragamo at Mitchell's of Westport. They are beautiful -- not a lot of antiquing effect, but good leather nonetheless. Also a nice last shape -- much nicer in person than in the pictures. I will say that the heel is fairly tall for a dress shoe though. Honestly, it's probably a better shoe for use with odd pants than it would be for suits.
post #6 of 43
Second that opinion. For 600 bucks, buy C&J handgrade captoes (pick whichever one you like, either the Whitehall or the Audley) from Plal or Pediwear and then use the balance to buy yourself a Borrelli shirt from Ian Daniels (vintageusa) or Lance Hughes (discostu). You'll end up with a much better shoe and a world class shirt for the price of a designer lace up. That's a bit harsh, since I think Ferragamo's styling is quite nice, but your are paying out the nose for an inferior product (especially a captoe, which is more of a conservative look anyway).
post #7 of 43
Thread Starter 
I agree with everyone about the price. I thought it would be interesting to get peoples opinion on the styling since I usually say a cap-toe is a cap-toe and I thought this shoe stood out to me in the picture. But, I can't see myself paying $600 for a shoe that I can't be sure will last me for at least 10 years. However, what are peoples general opinion on the quality of a shoe like that? I see a lot of EG, C&J and Alden talk. Not too much Italian shoe talk
post #8 of 43
FYI, I have seen this Ferragamo shoe on Ebay for $200-250. If you have to have it, you might scan the auctions before taking the NM plunge. Personally, I'm waiting for the Grensons and planning to order the Marteganis.
post #9 of 43
NM is always a desperation move, in my book, because method of payment is a bit restrictive. I did break down before joining this forum and purchase a pair of E-Zegna (made by Ferragamo) monk straps last fall at NM. The price wasn't as dear as that pair you've found on their site, but they were exactly what I wanted, well-made, and no where on e.bay. In hindsight, I'd have bought these in black calf: http://www.crockettandjones.co.uk/Ne...es/savile.html
post #10 of 43
Quote:
I see a lot of EG, C&J and Alden talk. Not too much Italian shoe talk
I think the Northampton and American shoes are more of a predictable, known quantity over against the Italians. Were I someone looking into quality Italian shoes I would go with forum member Rider as I believe I would get excellent price to quality with him. He also has a special order system that allows you to get things you would be hard pressed to find otherwise. If you've got the money, I have no issue with dropping $600 for shoes. I just think buying a designer brand from NM at retail isn't the most cost effective way to go.
post #11 of 43
Quote:
In hindsight, I'd have bought these in black calf: http://www.crockettandjones.co.uk/Ne...es/savile.html
John, I love those Saviles as well, although I would go with the brown.
post #12 of 43
Quote:
Quote:
(johnapril @ Jan. 20 2005,08:31) In hindsight, I'd have bought these in black calf: http://www.crockettandjones.co.uk/Ne...es/savile.html
John, I love those Saviles as well, although I would go with the brown.
I find this a tough question: brown or black shoes? Because I love both. To make matters trickier, most recently, my clothing choices have demanded something else entirely from a shoe: cordovan (the color). The brown suit, the charcoal suit with just as much navy, the golden leather colored corduroy. All demand a shoe with a bit of ox blood in it, no? It is difficult to describe what I am really looking for to a shoe salesperson in Midwestern America, and the ones who do understand are suffering from the lack of shoe choices here as well. Often the right color is on a poorly-made shoe. Or the well-made shoes are the saddest of dark browns. The cordovan Aldens suggested by many on this forum are the closest I have come to what I am trying to describe. But when I see shoes with antiqued finishes, in reds and goldens and browns and walnuts, I just want to throw my Aldens to the back of the closet.
post #13 of 43
Quote:
I agree with everyone about the price. I thought it would be interesting to get peoples opinion on the styling since I usually say a cap-toe is a cap-toe and I thought this shoe stood out to me in the picture. But, I can't see myself paying $600 for a shoe that I can't be sure will last me for at least 10 years. However, what are peoples general opinion on the quality of a shoe like that? I see a lot of EG, C&J and Alden talk. Not too much Italian shoe talk
I know that Gamos' aren't all that popular on this site, but I must confess to being in love with the Ferragamo "style". Yes, they're pricey (or overpriced, depending on your point of view), but I don't think you can go wrong -- style-wise, at least -- buying a Gamo'. Also, IMHO, the quality of Ferragamo's Tramezza Collection is quite high. Personally, I'm quite taken by this shoe, and next time I'm at NM or Nordstrom, it's mine. ;-) JV
post #14 of 43
Quote:
I find this a tough question: brown or black shoes?  Because I love both.  To make matters trickier, most recently, my clothing choices have demanded something else entirely from a shoe: cordovan (the color).  The brown suit, the charcoal suit with just as much navy, the golden leather colored corduroy.  All demand a shoe with a bit of ox blood in it, no?  It is difficult to describe what I am really looking for to a shoe salesperson in Midwestern America, and the ones who do understand are suffering from the lack of shoe choices here as well.  Often the right color is on a poorly-made shoe.  Or the well-made shoes are the saddest of dark browns.  The cordovan Aldens suggested by many on this forum are the closest I have come to what I am trying to describe.  But when I see shoes with antiqued finishes, in reds and goldens and browns and walnuts, I just want to throw my Aldens to the back of the closet.
I'm not sure if you're looking for a shoe with a base color of cordovan or with cordovan highlights.  I haven't seen a whole lot in the way of quality shoes in a cordovan color with an antiqued finish.  I don't recall seeing any in C&J's Handgrade line.  There may have a been a very few pairs in the last Grenson shipment.  EG and Vass have some, but I haven't reached that spending level on shoes, yet. For the time being, I'm going to try adding an antiqued effect to my cordovan AE Park Avenues.  I also have a dark brown Martegani from Ron Rider that has some hints of red in the finish which makes for a nice overall effect. dan
post #15 of 43
Keep in mind (1) that Alden shell cordovans do have hints of antiquing in the color, and (2) that shell cordovan naturally takes on a rich patina with wear. My C & J cordovan bluchers from Polo were mildly burnished at the toe area when I got them; after about 10 wearings that are totally multihued now.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › How do these shoes stack up?