or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Oxxford clothes discussion
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Oxxford clothes discussion - Page 8

post #106 of 126
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynMike View Post
Is Oxxford's pricing lower because they use less-fancy fabrics?

I think their fabrics are pretty good - many are from Moxon and Gladstone.
post #107 of 126
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynMike View Post
Is Oxxford's pricing lower because they use less-fancy fabrics?

It offers a wide range of cloths from several makers. But, to answer your question, yes, the offered cloths in its opening price point will be less-fancy.
post #108 of 126
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eustace Tilley View Post
I think their fabrics are pretty good - many are from Moxon and Gladstone.

Oh I definitely think the fabrics they use are great.
post #109 of 126
Quote:
Originally Posted by bowtiemeow View Post
While I have no quarrel with the quality and worksmanship of an Oxxford suit, I do want to point out my frustration with its made-to-measure program. I have more than ten of those suits made, but for every single one, Oxxford screwed something up. On the order form, the sales associate was very thorough in detailing all the specifics and I hate to say that for every suit, at least one or two specifications were missed. For example, I requested quarter lining and the suit came with full lining. I requested extended waist band, and the trouser arrived with a different style (and no loops). I even told the CEO when he came to a trunk show. That's my two cents...and also that explains why I have stopped ordering suits from Oxxford.

It sounds like bespoke is the only way to go for you, bowtiemeow.

Most people in your position just give up completely on made to measure and just go bespoke (but only if it is from a tailor that is of the caliber the tailors, of which, there were several, that I mentioned in one of my reply messages-the one that I had to edit extensively because of most of the information being incorrect).

However, when going bespoke, tailors that are of the caliber of the ones that I mentioned in one of my reply messages posted yesterday (you know, the one that I edited extensively ) are the only way to go. Just expect to pay a minimum of $4K (maybe more or much more than that) for a suit if you go this route. If you have already gone this route, then you probably know all of this.
post #110 of 126
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eustace Tilley View Post
I think their fabrics are pretty good - many are from Moxon and Gladstone.

Oxxford also offers fabrics from Holland & Sherry and Scabal.

The Holland & Sherry fabrics are the best fabrics that Oxxford offers, IMO.
post #111 of 126
Quote:
Originally Posted by OxxfordSJLINY View Post
The H&S fabrics are the best fabrics that Oxxford offers.

Why do you say that?
post #112 of 126
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad View Post
Why do you say that?

Message edited.
post #113 of 126
Quote:
Originally Posted by OxxfordSJLINY View Post
Message edited.

I'm not suggesting you're wrong, I'm just curious.
post #114 of 126
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad View Post
I'm not suggesting you're wrong, I'm just curious.

I edited my message again and typed IMO at the end since that is what I meant. Human error, I guess.
post #115 of 126
Quote:
Originally Posted by OxxfordSJLINY View Post
Oxxford also offers fabrics from Holland & Sherry and Scabal.

Oxxford and Holland and Sherry are in the same organization - Individiualized Apparel Group. Oxxford normally buys from H&S because they have an inter-company relationship.

http://www.individualizedapparel.com/

To learn more about Oxxford, please read this informative post...

http://www.askandyaboutclothes.com/f...+handwork+part
post #116 of 126
Quote:
Originally Posted by OxxfordSJLINY View Post
No. Oxxford is simply the best brand on the planet (not just the best brand in North America; at least this is the case in terms of handwork and overall construction quality if not in fit, drapery, comfort and appearance). AFAIK, to do better than Oxxford anywhere in the world (again, at least in terms of handwork and overall construction quality if not in fit, drapery, comfort and appearance), you need to not just go bespoke, but you need to go bespoke from the following tailors: Rubinacci, Campagna, Caraceni, Westmancott, Huntsman, Richard Anderson, Limited and the following North American tailors: Fioravanti, Shattuck, Raffaelli and Logsdail, all of whose starting prices for bespoke suits are several thousands of dollars, now $4K to start for a bespoke suit at the very least, for some of these tailors, more or much more than that (this has been confirmed by several members of SF and AAAC). Oxxford's made to measure starting price for a suit is $2.7K (I know for a fact that this is 100% correct because I was told by several stores that sell Oxxford; several members of SF and AAAC have confirmed the same thing).
Just for the record, do you own pieces from each of these makers you cite? Are you speaking from first-hand experience? How can you know that these are the only tailors capable of out-performing Oxxford? I patronize a tailor who is not on your list, but makes jackets that fit me much better than my Oxxford MTM pieces and I also prefer the silhouette (and therefore the appearance) to Oxxford. He charges about 1/2 the price of Oxxford MTM and sews by hand. The downside is that I travel to my tailor, whereas Oxxford MTM is available locally. Although I do like the Oxxford trousers and I love the H&S fabric of my MTM Oxxford suit, my tailor has fabric books from H&S, Scabal, Gladstone, Loro Piana, Zegna, W. Bill, and others, and he does CMT. So I think my days of ordering Oxxford MTM are over.
post #117 of 126
Quote:
Originally Posted by thinman View Post
Just for the record, do you own pieces from each of these makers you cite? Are you speaking from first-hand experience?

How can you know that these are the only tailors capable of out-performing Oxxford? I patronize a tailor who is not on your list, but makes jackets that fit me much better than my Oxxford MTM pieces and I also prefer the silhouette (and therefore the appearance) to Oxxford. He charges about 1/2 the price of Oxxford MTM and sews by hand. The downside is that I travel to my tailor, whereas Oxxford MTM is available locally. Although I do like the Oxxford trousers and I love the H&S fabric of my MTM Oxxford suit, my tailor has fabric books from H&S, Scabal, Gladstone, Loro Piana, Zegna, W. Bill, and others, and he does CMT. So I think my days of ordering Oxxford MTM are over.

Your tailor sounds really cool... can I get his name? I would mind getting some of that action.
post #118 of 126
Quote:
Originally Posted by thinman View Post
Just for the record, do you own pieces from each of these makers you cite? Are you speaking from first-hand experience?

How can you know that these are the only tailors capable of out-performing Oxxford? I patronize a tailor who is not on your list, but makes jackets that fit me much better than my Oxxford MTM pieces and I also prefer the silhouette (and therefore the appearance) to Oxxford. He charges about 1/2 the price of Oxxford MTM. The downside is that I travel to my tailor, whereas Oxxford MTM is available locally. However, I think my days of ordering Oxxford MTM are over.

I have to be honest, I am going by what most of the members of SF and AAAC (especially iammatt, as he seems to have the most extensive experience and overall expertise) have said based on their experiences (which have all been extensive). I have absolutely no experience myself, to be honest.

Consequently, I can almost guarantee that my experience with a multitude of different brands and tailors worldwide would be exactly the same or, at the very least, 90% the same and 10% different (with the levels of similarity being significant and the levels of difference being marginal).

Plus, I trust most (but certainly not all, though the people on SF and AAAC that I don't trust are very few and very far between) of the members of SF and AAAC dearly and sincerely for information about any kind of clothing, regardless of country of manufacture, type of clothing (dresswear, casualwear, fitnesswear and etcetera), quality of clothing, etcetera.

However, it seems that the extensive experiences from one SF and AAAC member to the other generally differs very little (at least this is the case when it comes to handwork and overall construction quality if not in fit, drapery, comfort and appearance). The fit, drapery, comfort and appearance of any article of clothing from all brands and tailors will vary very, very greatly from one person to the other.

In fit, drapery, comfort and appearance, Oxxford and other American brands are a bad to horrible choice for many people because they are often, square and sack suit like because they have the American silhouette (which mostly makes Oxxford full cut and loose fitting or looser fitting and square). For these people, Italian and English brands and tailors are a much better choice (and a good to excellent choice, overall) as the European silhouette is all of the following: round, the opposite of sack suit like, slim cut, close fitting and, of course, European. The Italian silhouette is noticeably more of the following than the English silhouette (which itself is very largely the following): round, the opposite of sack suit like, slim cut, close fitting and European.

But for some people, The American silhouette is a better choice (and a good to excellent choice) because it is square, sack suit like, full cut and looser fitting. For these people, the European silhouette is bad because it is round, the opposite of sack suit like, slim cut and close fitting. Also, for these people, the Italian silhouette is noticeably worse than the English silhouette (which itself is a bad to horrible choice for these people) because the Italian silhouette is, again, noticeably more round, the opposite of sack suit like, slim cut and close fitting than the English silhouette (which itself is very much of these things).

In the end, it is all simply a matter of preference. I know that you are thin (and possibly tall), hence your username being "thinman". I am 5' 9.5" tall with a big muscular frame (which makes my normal weight 185 pounds). Right now I am 210 pounds (which makes me 25 pounds overweight, FTL).

IMO, the European silhouette works best for all people with the possible exception of those who are overweight (or ten or more pounds overweight). For those who are overweight (or ten or more pounds overweight), the American silhouette most likely (if not definitely) works better than the European silhouette (especially when comparing the American silhouette to the Italian silhouette for the reasons that I mentioned before).

Of course, when I say overweight, I mean overweight because of fat. Overweight because of muscle (like actors Arnold Schwarzenegger, Terry Crews, Jr. and Tom Tiny Lister, Jr. a.k.a. Zeus) most likely look best in English clothing but also look excellent in Italian clothing. People who are muscular but neither overweight nor underweight (being muscular and being underweight are mutually exclusive I think) looks excellent in both of the aforementioned European silhouettes but probably look a bit better in Italian clothing or in English clothing. American clothing, 1,000,000-1, would probably look bad on all muscular people (especially muscular people who are at their normal weight).
post #119 of 126
Quote:
Originally Posted by OxxfordSJLINY View Post
....In the end, it is all simply a matter of preference. I know that you are thin (and possibly tall), hence your username being "thinman". I am 5' 9.5" tall with a big muscular frame (which makes my normal weight 185 pounds). Right now I am 210 pounds (which makes me 25 pounds overweight, FTL).

IMO, the European silhouette works best for all people with the possible exception...

I do indeed prefer a more European, Brioni-like, silhouette since I'm 6'3" and 185 lbs. and this is one reason I prefer custom to Oxxford MTM (although IMO the Oxxford Crest and Radcliffe models are trimmer and flatter me more than some of their other models).
post #120 of 126
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad View Post
It offers a wide range of cloths from several makers. But, to answer your question, yes, the offered cloths in its opening price point will be less-fancy.

That is correct. But isn't this true for all brands and most or all tailors?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Oxxford clothes discussion