or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › General › General Chat › Stop the Texting People...
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Stop the Texting People... - Page 2

post #16 of 101
Are text messages retained in the system? Could the NSA root them out?
post #17 of 101
I quite like texting because sometimes you may be in a situation where you can't just pick up the phone and start jabbering at something (such as a meeting or something). Texting, on the other hand, is almost unnoticable.

JB
post #18 of 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaeljkrell View Post
Is anyone else completely sick of text messages. Instead of calling someone up and saying what you need to say, you trade a series of text messages that last 30 minutes when the conversation would have only lasted like 2 minutes. Or you are talking to someone, and there phone goes off and they try to carry on conversation while they are typing out something on their phone.

Am I old-fashioned?

I'm with you; I don't send text messages and got sick of getting unwanted text messages when people could just call me or send an email at work. A quick call to my phone company and that problem is solved; they can change your settings so that you can't receive or send texts.
post #19 of 101
Text messages are good, but remember don't use them for criminal activity, it's easy for the government to read them.
post #20 of 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orsini View Post
Are text messages retained in the system? Could the NSA root them out?

Yes. Frankly, I don't think that the NSA really cares. However, my wife is a divorce lawyer and text messages between a cheating spouse and their paramour are now often subpeonaed and presented as evidence in divorce cases. I would think that in any official court proceeding where they are relevant someone can get at them. With a phone call they have to be actively taping the call in advance to get it and, of course, most states regulate that in some way.
post #21 of 101
I am certainly a texter. For one thing, I have a lot of friends that I know casually, but don't feel like we are on the level of "chatting" on the phone. Texting takes the emotion out of these situations. It's easier to text someone saying, "hey, whats up? whats doin later?" than it is to call and have an awkward 30 second conversation with them. I also find that texting allows me to do other tasks at the same time. Typing short text messages takes only a few seconds every other minute or so. When I am on the phone, I find that I can't multitask if I am actually trying to meaningfully listen to the other person. Texting is also convenient when you don't want other ppl. to hear what you are talking about. I like to keep my business as my business.
post #22 of 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaeljkrell View Post
Or you are talking to someone, and there phone goes off and they try to carry on conversation while they are typing out something on their phone. Am I old-fashioned?
This is a big time asshole move. I can't stand people who do this. I was hanging out with a buddy who wouldn't put the blackberry away even after I told him it's rude and annoying like 10 times. Eventually I just decided to ditch him and go home and told him it was because of the blackberry.
post #23 of 101
If I need to write a message to someone, I'll write it with a fountain pen on fine stationary, wax seal it and send it via carrier pigeon.
post #24 of 101
Thread Starter 
At least someone still has some class... I'll have to see what Miss Manners has to say about texting. The last book I read of hers didn't mention it...
post #25 of 101
I love texting, for many different reasons and in many different situations. I think anyone that doesn't like it or understands its usefulness is probably an old fuddy-duddy.
post #26 of 101
Clearly, it can be rude to text during social times. Recieving calls can be annoying too though.
post #27 of 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark from Plano View Post
Yes. Frankly, I don't think that the NSA really cares. However, my wife is a divorce lawyer and text messages between a cheating spouse and their paramour are now often subpeonaed and presented as evidence in divorce cases. I would think that in any official court proceeding where they are relevant someone can get at them. With a phone call they have to be actively taping the call in advance to get it and, of course, most states regulate that in some way.

Yes, the soon to be ex Mayor of Detroit had a problem of this nature.
post #28 of 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by flashback View Post
I love texting, for many different reasons and in many different situations. I think anyone that doesn't like it or understands its usefulness is probably an old fuddy-duddy.

ya probably dude LOL
post #29 of 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by edmorel View Post
If I need to write a message to someone, I'll write it with a fountain pen on fine stationary, wax seal it and send it via carrier pigeon.

Takes about the same amount of time as it does for you to reply to a text.
post #30 of 101
Texts are useful but not when people are on the damn thing all day long. I believe we rely on them too much and waste too much time, when a simple call would suffice.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Chat
Styleforum › Forums › General › General Chat › Stop the Texting People...