• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official MMA thread

Matt

ex-m@Triate
Reaction score
Big MMA weekend ahead guys

EliteXC's debut on CBS headlined by Kimbo Slice and his dedicated diver.

Far more interest to fight fans (but less general appeal) is Sunday's WEC headlined by Faber v Pulver.

Big weekend...Im looking forward to the downloading - may throw a pizza night for the boys and bring home the projector on Tuesday (cos Sunday is Monday my time)

Any thoughts, opinions or random ramblings on the two shows?

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was going to start a thread on this very topic, Matt, but you beat me to the punch (no pun intended).

I'm planning on watching both shows. Kimbo-Thompson is a freakshow. Thompson is best known for having a glass chin and bullrushing his opponent at the beginning of the fight. Aleksander Emelianenko (Fedor's younger brother) knocked him out in 11 seconds. I put the over-under on the fight's length at 1 minute. There are some good fights on the undercard, however. Robbie Lawler is generally considered a top-ten MW, and Scott Smith is a game opponent. The fight between Phil Baroni and Joey Villasenor should be a slugfest.

WEC's main event, the featherweight championship fight between Urijah Faber and Jens Pulver, has all the makings of a classic. The young gun who has lost only once in 21 fights and is one of the best P4P fighters in the world against the cagey veteran who has never lost at featherweight. Miguel Torres, who is defending his bantamweight title, is a lot of fun to watch if you like BJJ.

odoreater

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The Pulver-Faber fight should be a good one. I've watched alot of Faber's past fights and he's very impressive. I hope he finally puts Pulver out of his misery and makes him retire.

bigbadbuff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
IMO, the WEC is consistently more entertaining than any other org right now. EliteXC has had some good events, but they are going in a direction I don't like. The UFC killed itself for me long ago. WEC cards are always really good. Who really cares that you may not have heard of the fighter if they're a) good and b) put on a good fight?

I'll be watching both this weekend, always great to see Faber fight- his last was such a terrific one.

Mauro

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I will be in DC to watch the fights on saturday in if anyone wants to meet up.
AC??

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Gina Carano weighed in 4.5 pounds over the weight limit (of a weight class that was created specifically for her). This is apparently not the first time she has failed to make weight. Oh well, if you're a pretty girl, the rules don't apply to you.

Mauro, I already agreed to attend a friend's EliteXC watching party. Let's try to get together at an MMA event in the future.

Mauro

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
cool.
What time are the fights tonight???

Reaction score
The womens fight was a good watch and the title fight could have pulled the night together greatly had it not gone nc. Kimbo did not disappoint in the sense that his mma commitment is evident. Re: Thompson's ear. I sat and wondered if it was filled with confetti and stardust so once popped it would shower the "fans" with the remains of manufactured hype. In a word, shallow.

somecallmebj

Reaction score
The announcer was making me cringe throughout the show.

"He's got an open guard trying to make a closed guard."

I understand it's probably meant for the new viewers, but still.

I felt that some of the fighters were pretty unconditioned, especially poor Kimbo. I mean damn, it seemed like he was taking punches on the ground just so he could lay there for a few minutes.

The women seemed pretty out of it too, and I have to agree that Gina was pretty unprofessional about it. I know they're professional fighters, but it didn't look like it in the ring. And I lol'd at Gina's post-fight interview.

"I tried to take her out with the... gogoplata I think it's called? That was fun."

Many of them seem unrefined and untrained.

On the other hand, I'm looking forward to the Faber-Pulver bout. I love watching Faber in the ring, and I hope he shuts Pulver up.
boxing[1].gif

odoreater

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wow, that EliteXC event was just bad. Like i said, the outfit is just a freak show with people who don't actually know how to fight (the Smith-Lawler fight excluded).

Brad

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by odoreater
Wow, that EliteXC event was just bad. Like i said, the outfit is just a freak show with people who don't actually know how to fight (the Smith-Lawler fight excluded).

+1.

Matt

ex-m@Triate
Reaction score
it is so hard to get torrents this week! Thought EliteXC would be easy since it was free to air, but still nothing. Someone sent me a login to some private site with links, but I have to play around with my port settings for that, and since I cant remember the password to my router....
frown.gif
Sounds like I didnt miss much.

shimmyt

Reaction score
Originally Posted by odoreater

+2

Let the man have his 5 minutes to recover, what kind of garbage is that to stop the title fight like that. Seriously though I want to see a real fighter go against Kimbo. Hell even Frank Mir I think would destroy him.

shimmyt

Reaction score
Originally Posted by m@T
it is so hard to get torrents this week!

Thought EliteXC would be easy since it was free to air, but still nothing. Someone sent me a login to some private site with links, but I have to play around with my port settings for that, and since I cant remember the password to my router....
frown.gif

Sounds like I didnt miss much.

get your port settings working! I'm watching the one that they had since I only gave my tivo an extra half hour instead of a full hour. Great quality indeed. Still a garbage card though.

micbain

Reaction score
What did you guys think of Kimbo? I was honestly impressed (I had very low expectations) but I don't think he'd survive against a fighter versed in submissions.

What was with the other guys EAR? The reminded me of:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 45 40.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 44 39.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 5 4.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 18 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 25 22.5%

Forum statistics

Threads