or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Entertainment and Culture › The Official MMA thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The Official MMA thread - Page 358

post #5356 of 5436
Hendricks has a puncher's chance against GSP, nothing more. I see GSP jabbing him to death for 25 minutes like he did to Koscheck.

Highlight of the evening was Machida rocking the 'stache. He and Anderson (or was that the judge from the X Factor?) looked like a pair from a cop-buddy movie.
Edited by Ambulance Chaser - 11/18/12 at 9:49am
post #5357 of 5436
Went to watch the fight in a bar last night. Looked over at the table next to me and Jason Statham and Bobby Rich were sitting there watching the fight. I was just waiting for the token drunk tough guy to start a fight with one of them.
post #5358 of 5436
Who is bobby rich? (potentially dumb question).

Disagreed with the Carmont decision. I was rooting for him, but he did not deserve that fight.
post #5359 of 5436
Watching Kampmann fall like lumber was mind-blowing.
post #5360 of 5436

Kampmann is a great technical fighter who makes very few mistakes but you can't drop your hands for a second in the cafe with a fighter like Hendricks.

post #5361 of 5436
My friend and BJJ coach Ryan Hall won is first pro MMA fight by TKO. NIce work , Ryan.
post #5362 of 5436
Serious question: I've been watching these Youtube videos where a "karate expert" does a neck chop on a willing student, the student falls like a sack of bricks, and is out cold. If this move is for real why don't we see it in an MMA fight? I realize that in these videos the student just stands there while the sensei performs the chop and that in a real fight that you actually have to get past your opponents defenses to perform the maneuver, but still, for such a highly effective move you'd think you'd see it happen more often.
post #5363 of 5436
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggskip View Post

Serious question: I've been watching these Youtube videos where a "karate expert" does a neck chop on a willing student, the student falls like a sack of bricks, and is out cold. If this move is for real why don't we see it in an MMA fight? I realize that in these videos the student just stands there while the sensei performs the chop and that in a real fight that you actually have to get past your opponents defenses to perform the maneuver, but still, for such a highly effective move you'd think you'd see it happen more often.

Works the same as getting kicked or punched hard in the neck. Similar to cranking a choke as well.

Nothing magical. You don't see it in MMA because it's much easier to kick, punch, or choke your opponent's neck.
post #5364 of 5436
Nate Diaz has always had trouble with strong wrestlers, but I did not expect him to get manhandled so easily by Ben Henderson. I don't see anyone beating Henderson for awhile.
post #5365 of 5436
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_drizzle View Post

Works the same as getting kicked or punched hard in the neck. Similar to cranking a choke as well.
Nothing magical. You don't see it in MMA because it's much easier to kick, punch, or choke your opponent's neck.

Or rather, no one has figured out how to do it effectively yet. MMA is an evolving sport. Until recently, you never saw people get KO'ed by elbows, though it's fairly common in Thai boxing, but it happens all the time now. Same with the front snap kick (as opposed to the teep.) Look at older fights. No one knew how to post up and use the fence to protect their back as they got up. It's more common than the wall walk now.
post #5366 of 5436
Quote:
Originally Posted by LA Guy View Post

Or rather, no one has figured out how to do it effectively yet. MMA is an evolving sport. Until recently, you never saw people get KO'ed by elbows, though it's fairly common in Thai boxing, but it happens all the time now. Same with the front snap kick (as opposed to the teep.) Look at older fights. No one knew how to post up and use the fence to protect their back as they got up. It's more common than the wall walk now.

This seems more reasonable to me. That said, somebody need to get on this tip. I realize that technique is everything, but in the videos these guys do not use a lot a force. It seems like a maneuver that anybody who had their opponent in side control should be able to execute fairly easily.
post #5367 of 5436
Quote:
Originally Posted by LA Guy View Post

Or rather, no one has figured out how to do it effectively yet. MMA is an evolving sport. Until recently, you never saw people get KO'ed by elbows, though it's fairly common in Thai boxing, but it happens all the time now. Same with the front snap kick (as opposed to the teep.) Look at older fights. No one knew how to post up and use the fence to protect their back as they got up. It's more common than the wall walk now.

I disagree.

It has several disadvantages over the normal means of striking:

-Very low percentage strike vs someone with their hands up, more so than techniques like jabs/hooks/uppercuts due to larger target area (head, neck, and body vs just the neck) and quicker execution.
-Telegraphs your move even more than a wild haymaker...while delivering much less force and likely leaving you more vulnerable to a counter.
-Low cost-benefit ratio. Why train for a low percentage technique that has no proven track record in MMA and full contact striking in general. Things like elbows aren't comparable...elbows have a proven track record to KO in other sports.

As far as elbow KOs go, do you have any stats to cite? Because if you are including all MMA organizations then you have to consider than elbows were banned in PRIDE.


My biggest concern is that videos of martial art "masters" hitting compliant students in the neck, and claiming some sort of super secret mythical technique, is enough to spark interest for some of you.
post #5368 of 5436
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotel Guy View Post

I think its funny how Nate gets the shot after Rory absolutely teabagged him. I understand it was at 170, but I still see the bigger, stronger Bendo chopping Nate down with leg kicks and walking right through him.

Prophecy of sorts???

Just kidding, I enjoyed the fight.
post #5369 of 5436
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_drizzle View Post

I disagree.
It has several disadvantages over the normal means of striking:
-Very low percentage strike vs someone with their hands up, more so than techniques like jabs/hooks/uppercuts due to larger target area (head, neck, and body vs just the neck) and quicker execution.
-Telegraphs your move even more than a wild haymaker...while delivering much less force and likely leaving you more vulnerable to a counter.
-Low cost-benefit ratio. Why train for a low percentage technique that has no proven track record in MMA and full contact striking in general. Things like elbows aren't comparable...elbows have a proven track record to KO in other sports.
As far as elbow KOs go, do you have any stats to cite? Because if you are including all MMA organizations then you have to consider than elbows were banned in PRIDE.
My biggest concern is that videos of martial art "masters" hitting compliant students in the neck, and claiming some sort of super secret mythical technique, is enough to spark interest for some of you.

Why would you be concerned by this? I just happened to come across the video while wasting time on Youtube one night and thought that a possible application within MMA seemed reasonable. As Fok mentioned, the sport will always be evolving and using a single chop to instantly defeat your opponent might be something worth looking into.
post #5370 of 5436
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggskip View Post

Why would you be concerned by this? I just happened to come across the video while wasting time on Youtube one night and thought that a possible application within MMA seemed reasonable. As Fok mentioned, the sport will always be evolving and using a single chop to instantly defeat your opponent might be something worth looking into.

I'm concerned because when you apply reason and logic, that technique fails to go beyond the threshold of novelty.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Entertainment and Culture
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Entertainment and Culture › The Official MMA thread