or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Entertainment and Culture › The Official MMA thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The Official MMA thread - Page 299

post #4471 of 5436
http://sports.espn.go.com/extra/mma/...ory?id=6457106
Fight metrics are interesting...apparently shields connected more punches than Shields. Takedowns was key for GSP's victory.
post #4472 of 5436
i saw the break down on that earlier this evening. apparently he landed more punches, but nothing remotely devastating. Takedown defences/successes, cage aggression (haha in this fight,) leg kicks, and control all go to gsp. still a 50-45 fight.
post #4473 of 5436
btw super jealous you got to check it out live. sick card and enviro.
post #4474 of 5436
Yeah it was great but the crowd was pretty tame imo. I went to Koshchek vs GSP and the crowd was crazy. Perhaps Rogers Centre was just so big that the crowd was getting drowned out but the people in Montreal do not stop cheering for anything. Most passionate (and perhaps most irrational) fans I have ever seen and experienced. If you guys get the chance you should check out the Rory MacDonald vs Nate Diaz fight. Its a prelim but imo the fight of the night.
post #4475 of 5436
Quote:
Originally Posted by reezy View Post
Just got back from the fight. Walked around looking for a cab for a good 2 hours but it was very interesting to say the least.

Noticed a dude wearing a white shirt that had "YES YES YES" on it and I thought of Diego and it turns it was him! Walking beside him was BJ Penn. Diego was drunk and could barely walk. Got to a hotel to try to hail a cab and Anderson Silva, Nog, and Jon Jones was there. Ended up riding a cab back home with Belfort's and Penn's agent. Sick night.

Nice. Aren't BJ and Diego fighting? I wonder what goes through your mind when your next opponent is hanging out with staggering drunk.

Sounds like fun, how was the crowd?
post #4476 of 5436
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCal View Post
Nice. Aren't BJ and Diego fighting? I wonder what goes through your mind when your next opponent is hanging out with staggering drunk.

Sounds like fun, how was the crowd?

Yeah I was surprised too...but when I got in the cab with Penn's agent, he was telling me how they were buddies before their fight happened. Guess they drifted for a bit and they made up after. They were pretty buddy buddy based on the banter I overheard.

The crowd was loudest when Randy was present. The guy got the biggest ovation. Mad respects to that man. Machida is still the man though and the only guy in the LHW that would have a chance to beat Jon Jones .
post #4477 of 5436
yeah, it seemed the rogers arena might be a bit vacuous for an event. looking at the pan-outs on ppv, couldn't believe how many people were in there. fewer people passionate about the sport? (Corporate seats etc?) would love to go to a fight in montreal! dl'ing the prelims right now. sounds like the undercard was quite good. looking forward to them. (especially diaz getting domed.) Hominick did better than i anticipated. i was predicting a 2nd round k.o. on that one.
post #4478 of 5436
Yeah Hommnick is tough. That bump was nasty! I was really impressed with him but I feel like Aldo was taking it easy on him in the last round...need to re-watch it. Hommnick entrance was pretty sick. Love it!
post #4479 of 5436
Found this pretty funny lol

http://s3.amazonaws.com/twitpic/phot...mKt%2BWM1go%3D

Randy Couture heading to his afterparty in an ambulance lol...
post #4480 of 5436
ha, that's awesome! good sport. (the 129k bonus probably helped!) Aldo seems go either get very sympathetic in championship rounds, or very gassed. he did the same thing with faber, though he was still dominating in the final 2 with faber. On another note ben henderson is quickly climbing the list of people i would like to see get KO'd.
post #4481 of 5436
any input on the nick diaz gsp matchup? i'm not too familiar with diaz as a fighter. must brush up.
post #4482 of 5436
Quote:
Originally Posted by hrb View Post
ha, that's awesome! good sport. (the 129k bonus probably helped!) Aldo seems go either get very sympathetic in championship rounds, or very gassed. he did the same thing with faber, though he was still dominating in the final 2 with faber.

On another note ben henderson is quickly climbing the list of people i would like to see get KO'd.

Yeah it wasn't Aldo's best performance but I expect him to be better in the next fight.

Yeah Hendo looks like a douche. The kid is tough though and has an iron chin as well. Did you watch the fight with him and Pettis? Hendo should have been knocked out at least 5 times in that fight.

You from Toronto?
post #4483 of 5436
Quote:
Originally Posted by hrb View Post
any input on the nick diaz gsp matchup? i'm not too familiar with diaz as a fighter. must brush up.

That match up would be pretty good. Nick Diaz would give GSP a lot of pressure. Any fight he's in is exciting imo. Great boxing...strikes in the body and head a lot (good mix-up). Very good ground game which is expected since he trains with Shields. Watch him against Paul Daley in the last Strikeforce event. Great recovery and good chin. Much better than his little brother.

Apparently he is going to try boxing. I doubt it now since he would want revenge for Shields?
post #4484 of 5436
yeah he's good, and, to be honest, a great fighter. i actually really liked him until he opened his mouth. Aldo should dominate that div for some time. Not sure who is going to contend with him.. think they're talking about a rematch with those two. Pettis looked hungry for another one. From Van if i were in t.o. i definitely would've picked up tickets for this one. was contemplating a flight out for it a visit, but didn't come to fruition. how were the site lines from inside? that was another aspect on the RA i was thinking may be an issue..
post #4485 of 5436
Quote:
Originally Posted by hrb View Post
yeah he's good, and, to be honest, a great fighter. i actually really liked him until he opened his mouth. Aldo should dominate that div for some time. Not sure who is going to contend with him.. think they're talking about a rematch with those two. Pettis looked hungry for another one.

From Van if i were in t.o. i definitely would've picked up tickets for this one. was contemplating a flight out for it a visit, but didn't come to fruition. how were the site lines from inside? that was another aspect on the RA i was thinking may be an issue..

Here's my seat view.
http://a3.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphot..._4415839_n.jpg

Pretty good. Closer than it appears.

You heading to 131? If I can get some vacation, I might go west. Been following Lesnar since his WWE days. Want to see him bounce back.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Entertainment and Culture
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Entertainment and Culture › The Official MMA thread