• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Polishing the sole of a shoe

culverwood

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I noticed watching North by North West yet again what a polish CG has on the part of the sole of his shoe which does not touch the ground. How many people polish their shoes there?
Lousy suit though!

R-H

Reaction score
I spit polish the sides of the soles on my dress shoes. This is an OCD habit I learned while in the army.

Fortunately, I've managed to ween myself off spit polishing the tongue or blackening the stitching on the underside of my shoes.

culverwood

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
When he is falling asleep drunk at the police station early in the film you see the underside of his shoes. They are worn where they touch the ground but have a good polish where they do not.

professorlo

Reaction score
i polish that part of the underside, it probably doesn't matter but i think it looks good

adagio

Reaction score
I only polish the edges of the soles. Can't see the point in polishing any part of the bottom of the sole.

I saw a video on you tube recently in which a butler was illustrating how to polish one's shoes. He did polish the part between the heel and the sole.

His rationale was that it is better if one's legs are crossed or if one is kneeling, that part of the sole is exposed, and the dirt on the sole shold not be seen, a polished sole being better. I just think this is likely to ruin any piece of carpet that you might walk on.

A

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I do, strangley enough, this is one of the only things that I remember my father teaching me that his father tought him - he said that it was important when kneeling in church, and I don't do much of that, but I still polish that way.

Golf_Nerd

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by globetrotter
I do, strangley enough, this is one of the only things that I remember my father teaching me that his father tought him - he said that it was important when kneeling in church, and I don't do much of that, but I still polish that way.

Are the soles creamed, too? Or is it only polishing??

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Golf_Nerd
I don't use cream on the edges, just polish.

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Golf_Nerd

I use the same cream on the strip of the sole that I use on the upper - I use another product for the edge, I think that is called edge dressing

Droog

Reaction score
I briefly dabbled in polishing the shoe bottom but quickly ceased becaused it posed a hazard to slipping underfoot, especially on wet surfaces. At present I dye the bottom.

ohm

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
No, because I would rather not leave polish tracks around the office.

wow, the_butler. just wow.

edmorel

Quality Seller!!
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by the_butler
I always polish the instep of good leather shoes as it preserves the leather which is prone to cracking over a long period of time.
george%20boots.jpg

Not patent leather BTW.
smile.gif

Many here like the mirror polish and you obviously have it down to a science but I do not like my shoes polished and don't see why anyone would polish the soles, apart from the fact that you can't see them and the minute you take a step the polish is gone, I would be afraid of slipping on something.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.0%

Forum statistics

Threads