• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Wearing a Suit Jacket/Sport Jacket While Driving?

FidelCashflow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Does anyone else here dislike wearing a suit jacket/sportcoat while driving? I find its too restrictive of the arms and the seatbelts wrinkle it the jacket the hips. I usually just bring a hanger for the jacket and hang it off the little hook in the back seat so I can just put it on when I get wherever I'm going. Is that weird? I recently read in a magazine that using those hooks is an "anti-status symbol", which presumably means you shouldn't be doing it at all.

BigHandMan

Reaction score
+1 except that I keep a decent suit hanger in the back seat and hang it, and my jacket, on the back seat "oh ****" handle while driving.

Lone Wolf

Reaction score
Last thing I do before I get in the car is take off my jacket. I drive a convertible so I don't have anywhere to hang it, so I fold it and put it in the passenger seat. When I had a sedan I kept a hanger in the back and would hang it on the grab handle back there.

JLibourel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I always keep my jacket on while driving. With a properly fitting jacket, normal driving should be no problem, nor have I found wrinkling from seat belts to be a problem with any decent-quality wool fabrics (might be with linen).

GuidoWongolini

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JLibourel
I always keep my jacket on while driving. With a properly fitting jacket, normal driving should be no problem, nor have I found wrinkling from seat belts to be a problem with any decent-quality wool fabrics (might be with linen).
- +1 I have no problems as you can see from my WAYW posts. Heck, I even wear my o/coat at times.
- though I do take my coat of in summer
- I quite like the "actually lived" in look.. I call it character.. Or is it that the fabrics I have do not crease so much & when they do, they fall out easily?

WN2

Reaction score
I almost always drive without jacket (or overcoat unless it's a very light one). Exceptions might occur if weather is rainy or extremely cold.

scruff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by FidelCashflow
I recently read in a magazine that using those hooks is an "anti-status symbol", which presumably means you shouldn't be doing it at all.

Please to explain how or why this makes any sense at all.

JeffsWood

Reaction score
WOODHANGERn.jpg

I take mine off and have a cool little hanger attached to my headreast I hang it on.

eHaberdasher

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JeffsWood
WOODHANGERn.jpg

I take mine off and have a cool little hanger attached to my headreast I hang it on.

That IS pretty cool - where'd you get it (or did you make it yourself?)

Only problem for me is that whichever child of mine is sitting behind me would want to use my hanging jacket to clean the bottoms of their shoes!

m_wave

Reaction score
Originally Posted by JeffsWood
WOODHANGERn.jpg

Hmm I'm not sure if I'd want something like that in my car. I would usually wear my jacket or put it on the back seat. Doesn't seem to wrinkle too much

tobyparker

Reaction score
It's very simple. Take your jacket off, neatly fold it inside out the long way and simply put it on whatever seat isn't occupied. I've bee doing this for years and have never had a wrinkle in it. It is also the proper way to care for your suit jacket while driving. TBP

GuidoWongolini

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by tobyparker
It's very simple. Take your jacket off, neatly fold it inside out the long way and simply put it on whatever seat isn't occupied. I've bee doing this for years and have never had a wrinkle in it. It is also the proper way to care for your suit jacket while driving. TBP
I do this on the plan

True North

Reaction score
Originally Posted by scruff
Please to explain how or why this makes any sense at all.

Put me on this list as well, I have no idea what that means.

And I always hang my suit jacket while driving. Besides the hip wrinkles, the back is the prime candidate to wrinkle since the full weight of your body pushes it into the seat.

Huntsman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My car has a back seat that's only useful if your legs are shorter than most person's femurs. So I fold and place it there. It would still wrinkle if I hung it up. ~ Huntsman

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 81 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 83 37.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.4%

Forum statistics

Threads