or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Wearing a Suit Jacket/Sport Jacket While Driving?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Wearing a Suit Jacket/Sport Jacket While Driving?

post #1 of 43
Thread Starter 
Does anyone else here dislike wearing a suit jacket/sportcoat while driving? I find its too restrictive of the arms and the seatbelts wrinkle it the jacket the hips. I usually just bring a hanger for the jacket and hang it off the little hook in the back seat so I can just put it on when I get wherever I'm going. Is that weird? I recently read in a magazine that using those hooks is an "anti-status symbol", which presumably means you shouldn't be doing it at all.
post #2 of 43
+1 except that I keep a decent suit hanger in the back seat and hang it, and my jacket, on the back seat "oh shit" handle while driving.
post #3 of 43
Last thing I do before I get in the car is take off my jacket. I drive a convertible so I don't have anywhere to hang it, so I fold it and put it in the passenger seat. When I had a sedan I kept a hanger in the back and would hang it on the grab handle back there.
post #4 of 43
I always keep my jacket on while driving. With a properly fitting jacket, normal driving should be no problem, nor have I found wrinkling from seat belts to be a problem with any decent-quality wool fabrics (might be with linen).
post #5 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLibourel View Post
I always keep my jacket on while driving. With a properly fitting jacket, normal driving should be no problem, nor have I found wrinkling from seat belts to be a problem with any decent-quality wool fabrics (might be with linen).
- +1 I have no problems as you can see from my WAYW posts. Heck, I even wear my o/coat at times.
- though I do take my coat of in summer
- I quite like the "actually lived" in look.. I call it character.. Or is it that the fabrics I have do not crease so much & when they do, they fall out easily?
post #6 of 43
I almost always drive without jacket (or overcoat unless it's a very light one). Exceptions might occur if weather is rainy or extremely cold.
post #7 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by FidelCashflow View Post
I recently read in a magazine that using those hooks is an "anti-status symbol", which presumably means you shouldn't be doing it at all.

Please to explain how or why this makes any sense at all.
post #8 of 43


I take mine off and have a cool little hanger attached to my headreast I hang it on.
post #9 of 43
I leave my jacket on. Always. They don't wrinkle enough to make up for the fumbling I have to do if I need something from one of the pockets.
post #10 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffsWood View Post


I take mine off and have a cool little hanger attached to my headreast I hang it on.

That IS pretty cool - where'd you get it (or did you make it yourself?)

Only problem for me is that whichever child of mine is sitting behind me would want to use my hanging jacket to clean the bottoms of their shoes!
post #11 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffsWood View Post


I take mine off and have a cool little hanger attached to my headreast I hang it on.

Hmm I'm not sure if I'd want something like that in my car. I would usually wear my jacket or put it on the back seat. Doesn't seem to wrinkle too much
post #12 of 43
It's very simple. Take your jacket off, neatly fold it inside out the long way and simply put it on whatever seat isn't occupied. I've bee doing this for years and have never had a wrinkle in it. It is also the proper way to care for your suit jacket while driving. TBP
post #13 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by tobyparker View Post
It's very simple. Take your jacket off, neatly fold it inside out the long way and simply put it on whatever seat isn't occupied. I've bee doing this for years and have never had a wrinkle in it. It is also the proper way to care for your suit jacket while driving. TBP
I do this on the plan
post #14 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by scruff View Post
Please to explain how or why this makes any sense at all.

Put me on this list as well, I have no idea what that means.

And I always hang my suit jacket while driving. Besides the hip wrinkles, the back is the prime candidate to wrinkle since the full weight of your body pushes it into the seat.
post #15 of 43
My car has a back seat that's only useful if your legs are shorter than most person's femurs. So I fold and place it there. It would still wrinkle if I hung it up. ~ Huntsman
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Wearing a Suit Jacket/Sport Jacket While Driving?