or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Obama's power suit for DNC speech
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Obama's power suit for DNC speech

post #1 of 43
Thread Starter 
Looks like the junior senator from Illinois be wearing a custom-made Hart Schaffner Marx suit when he makes his speech accepting the nomination.

http://www.forbes.com/2008/08/26/oba...ife_newsletter
post #2 of 43
Quote:
The suit would retail at department stores such as Nordstrom for $1,500.

No one pays $1500 for a HSM suit.
post #3 of 43
looks nice. I guess a $4000 Oxxford MTM would raise a few eyebrows
post #4 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarmac View Post
looks nice. I guess a $4000 Oxxford MTM would raise a few eyebrows


Or a $10,000 Kiton suit.
post #5 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlesAlexander View Post
Or a $10,000 Kiton suit.

Especially since it's not Made in the USA.
post #6 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffC View Post
Especially since it's not Made in the USA.

Hannity would have a field day with that one.
post #7 of 43
Thread Starter 
Some one please remind me: who have been the tailors for Reagan, Bush Sr., Clinton, and W?

I remember much being written regarding Reagan's tailor -- I'm guessing he paid more for his suits than the "retail Nordstrom" price for Obama's.
post #8 of 43
American "politics" are weird.
post #9 of 43
I'm thinking he could have gotten deeper cuffs. He's a little over 6'1" so 1-1/4" cuffs seems chintzy, like they didn't have enough material to work with on the pants.
post #10 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestOfPCH View Post
Some one please remind me: who have been the tailors for Reagan, Bush Sr., Clinton, and W?

I remember much being written regarding Reagan's tailor -- I'm guessing he paid more for his suits than the "retail Nordstrom" price for Obama's.

Oxxford always makes the president a few suits, don't they? It's part of their mystique.
post #11 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestOfPCH View Post
Some one please remind me: who have been the tailors for Reagan, Bush Sr., Clinton, and W?

I remember much being written regarding Reagan's tailor -- I'm guessing he paid more for his suits than the "retail Nordstrom" price for Obama's.

I know W is a J. Press man - the whole New Haven / DC proximity probably helped that foster over the years.
post #12 of 43
Being that both are from Chicago, I think Obama might be able to get away with Oxxford.
post #13 of 43
Reagan got his suits from a now-dead Italian tailor in Beverley Hills. Frank Marignano or something like that.

Bush 41 got his at Press.

Clinton had a number of sources, his favorites were DKNY MTM made by Martin Greenfield.

Bush 43 got Oxxford through an Austin, Texas retailer, and also used a DC tailor named Georges de Paris.
post #14 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manton View Post
Reagan got his suits from a now-dead Italian tailor in Beverley Hills. Frank Marignano or something like that.

Bush 41 got his at Press.

Clinton had a number of sources, his favorites were DKNY MTM made by Martin Greenfield.

Bush 43 got Oxxford through an Austin, Texas retailer, and also used a DC tailor named Georges de Paris.

I thought Bush the second was a Press buy, maybe I am mistaken, or perhaps he dabbles in both? ( A different type of "dabbling in both" than his predecessor however.)
post #15 of 43
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Transporter View Post
I'm thinking he could have gotten deeper cuffs. He's a little over 6'1" so 1-1/4" cuffs seems chintzy, like they didn't have enough material to work with on the pants.

I thought the same thing. I'm 5'-9", and my cuffs are 1-1/2" with some of my suit pants at 1-3/4" at the recent urging of my tailor
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Obama's power suit for DNC speech