I was editing my post to provide a bit more content but your response is pretty clear, and swift!
Granted this is all relative to the condition of the shoe, I was really curious as to the steps, which seem to be:
- Brush (to rid of any debris / dust / dirt)
- Clean (Renovateur for example)
- Condition (Renovateur may already take care of this step, too)
- Polish (more to bring back the color e.g. black, dark brown, tan etc.)
- Shine (actual application of the wax and begin the layering process)
I guess for me if I want to bring back some of the color I can decide to either clean / condition, polish, and then shine or just polish then shine.
* * *