or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Fake Rockefeller: yet another reason to avoid ascots
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Fake Rockefeller: yet another reason to avoid ascots

post #1 of 20
Thread Starter 
As I read this I figured it would only further prejudice people against the oft-ridiculed ascot and those who wear them. Below is the introductory paragraph about a con man who pretended to be a Rockefeller.

"In the understated town of Cornish, N.H., where it is considered bad form to exhibit your wealth, the man calling himself Clark Rockefeller was driven around in an armored black Cadillac with bulletproof windows. He affected silk ascots and bragged that when it came to acquiring property, he could outbid anyone. He said that Helmut Kohl and Britney Spears were coming to dinner." (New York Times)

Note to self: Banish all thoughts about an ascot, even if you think a touch of irony might let you get away with wearing one.
post #2 of 20
I still support the ascot, despite this faux Rockefeller.

Hell, if it can fake people into believing that my ideas warrant investing, then all the more excellent!
post #3 of 20
While ascots look pretty silly on me I still have to say that I´ve seen some examples that were very well executed and didn´t seem affected at all.
post #4 of 20
I bet Will can pull off an ascot.
post #5 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJman View Post
I bet Will can pull off an ascot.

I bet against.
post #6 of 20
Well in this case, let's not wear the "oft-rediculed" ties, cufflinks, pocket squares, colored socks... Your argument is a funny conversation starter but it doesn't really hold much water...
post #7 of 20
I still like them, possibly because they were fairly popular among my fellow undergraduates back at Oxford. Of course, that was a long time ago.

I was talking to one very accomplished young fellow at a party just this past Saturday evening, and he mentioned that his brother liked to wear them on occasion. This was heartening, as so many men are inclined to consign ascots to "old guy" attire.

Speaking of Oxford, I am getting the sickening impression that undergraduates there nowadays do not dress all that much differently from their counterparts at California State University Long Beach (allowing for differences in climate). I hope I am mistaken in this.
post #8 of 20
I've always kind of liked the ascot, but I have never had the balls to wear one myself. I think they tend to look costumey. Could someone post a picture of someone wearing an ascot (themselves or someone else) that they think looks good?
post #9 of 20
I don't think even Marcello pulls off his choice of neckwear:



As such, I won't even try.
post #10 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocHolliday View Post
As such, I won't even try.

Try it with a mustache:




- B
post #11 of 20
Such icons of masculine style as Clark Gable, Fred Astaire and Cary Grant all wore ascots and looked good wearing them.

I still think the ascot is a usefuly way station between the comparative formality of the necktie and the inherent slovenliness of the open-necked shirt.
post #12 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLibourel View Post
Such icons of masculine style as Clark Gable, Fred Astaire and Cary Grant all wore ascots and looked good wearing them.

I still think the ascot is a usefuly way station between the comparative formality of the necktie and the inherent slovenliness of the open-necked shirt.
Would you say an open-necked shirt is slobwear?
post #13 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLibourel View Post
. . .

I still think the ascot is a usefuly way station between the comparative formality of the necktie and the inherent slovenliness of the open-necked shirt.

It is. It is the perfect solution. It is a shame it so uncommon as to draw unneeded attention.
post #14 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJman View Post
Would you say an open-necked shirt is slobwear?

No, but verging on it perhaps. Since many shirts can be worn open-necked or with a necktie, it cannot intrinsically be slobwear in the same sense as T-shirts, sandals, jeans, shorts, sneakers, sweat shirts, etc. (And, Cruiser, I hope you're lurking here, and this gets your blood pressure up some!)

Getting back to ascots, I seem to recall that back in the early days of Playboy magazine, Hugh Hefner, who always strove to appear cool and hep, was quite frequently photographed wearing an ascot. The observation has been made before in forumland, and I'm strongly inclined to second it, that the character Thurston Howell III single-handedly ruined the ascot, making it the mark of the pretentious twit.
post #15 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLibourel View Post
The observation has been made before in forumland, and I'm strongly inclined to second it, that the character Thurston Howell III single-handedly ruined the ascot, making it the mark of the pretentious twit.

J, Ginger or Mary Ann?



I'm inclined to say, "both," but such are my inclinations.


- B
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Fake Rockefeller: yet another reason to avoid ascots