• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Wear a suit = upgrade to first class

Jumbie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

TCN

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Funny, but you're right, a stretch . . . hell, beyond a stretch. The days of the "oh he seems nice" upgrade are long gone. Three ways to get upgraded to First Class:

1) Buy the ticket

2) Have top status on an empty flight

3) Have the flight attendant spill something on you in business class (hot coffee in economy might skip you over business into first).

By the way, does anyone else think that if someone is going to publish more than 100 words at a time on the internet, that they should at least know more the difference between there/their/they're?

330CK

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Originally Posted by TCN
Funny, but you're right, a stretch . . . hell, beond a stretch. The days of the "oh he seems nice" upgrade are long gone. Three ways to get upgraded to First Class:

1) Buy the ticket

2) Have top status on an empty flight

3) Have the flight attendant spill something on you in business class (hot coffee in economy might skip you over business into first).

By the way, does anyone else think that if someone is going to publish more than 100 words at a time on the internet, that they should at least know more the difference between there/their/they're?

Don't forget your/you're.

Jumbie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by TCN

I've given up at this point.

*queue someone to show up and say that it's informal and they will write correctly when they need to (complete with lolzorz)*

TCN

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Jumbie
I've given up at this point.

*queue someone to show up and say that it's informal and they will write correctly when they need to (complete with lolzorz)*

I suppose the internet has set back American grammar 100 years, on the other hand, text messaging has taught brevity.

TCN

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by 330CK
Don't forget your/you're.

The one that is really nails on a chalkboard for me is "I need some advise"[sic].

Style Pontifex

Reaction score
Originally Posted by TCN

A close second or third: "its" and "it's."

ITS WONDERFUL!

The difference between "who's" and "whose" is more subtle but perhaps even less understood.

Bradford

Current Events Moderator
Reaction score
Now this isn't just speculation, my granddad helped me with this and he used the same technique on the way back from America at the San Francisco international airport on a family holiday, he just couldn't handle economy on such a long flight so he bought a suit for £30/$70
This may have worked, back when his granddad could buy a suit for $70 and look like a businessman, but it's not likely to work now - at least in the U.S.

Even 10-years ago, I'd frequently get upgraded to business class when a plane was overbooked, just because I looked professional, but these days upgrades are given based on your membership in the airline frequent flyer club, the amount you fly on that airline or the credit card you used to purchase your ticket. Most of the US carriers have taken the human element out of the decision and turned it into an automated process.

Of course, the author may be foreign and I don't know how the upgrade process is handled in other parts of the world.

Twotone

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I lived and worked in Amsterdam for two years (about eight years ago). I traveled between ADam and the US about once a month or so -- always on refundable coach tickets (an expensive step over economy). I always dressed business casual (dockers, nice shirt, etc.) -- no way was I going to wrinkle a nice suit on a ten-hour flight.

Flying out of ADam, I was given free upgrades to Business Class many times. Rarely was I upgraded flying from the US. In addition to looking like you deserve an upgrade, the keys to free upgrades are IMO:

1. Being a loyal customer and having a lot of miles
2. Flying on partially full flights
3. Building a friendship with agents behind the counter

What worked for me nine years ago may not work today, but it's worth a shot. Wearing a suit is not sufficient.

Twotone

stickerdave

Reaction score
Another contender:

"should have"
"should of"

They should introduce the death penalty for this one.

RJman

Posse Member
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Flying out of Europe it's easier to get better treatment/upgrades... sometimes.

In the US wearing a suit is not getting you upgraded. In the current day and age, almost nothing will. Sorry.

Metlin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by RJman
In the US wearing a suit is not getting you upgraded. In the current day and age, almost nothing will. Sorry.

Having status will (usually).

If there are empty seats in the business class, folks with status are usually upgraded for free.

My job requires me to fly a lot (i.e. 2+ times a week), and I've been upgraded several times for free simply because of my status.

Of course, it helps to have empty business class seats too. Also, some airlines are better at this than others.

Cornellian

Reaction score
I agree with the other posters re: the *in*frequency of upgrades. It's all about 1) your status with the airline and 2) the fare class you purchase.

But really, have you seen how people dress in first class these days... christ!

Fritz

Reaction score
The advice to wear a suit is perhaps not useful, but at least harmless. But saying things like:"I always fly First, this must be a mixup in my organisation" to an airline employee who can see on his screen that the last time you boarded a flight was a 39$ special back in `98 is embarrassing.

And anyone who can say: "please, I NEED this upgrade, or I am going to lose my job" deserves to be bumped off the flight and lose his entire head of hair.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads