or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Health & Body › Coconut oil for hair
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Coconut oil for hair

post #1 of 10
Thread Starter 
I was told that coconut oil was one of if not the best things you can use on your hair. The thing I'm confused about is how you use it.

Some google searches tell me that you should:
1) Comb the oil through your hair.
2) Leave it on for at least 20 mins.
3) Shampoo and condition your hair.

That's fine but if shampoo cleans the crap out of your hair and conditioner replaces the natural oils... isn't coconut oil just a kind of conditioner? In other words should it be used after shampoo as opposed to before?
post #2 of 10
I'm not sure about the specifics of the science behind using Coconut Oil, but I've found that it has helped control chronic dandruff better than just using dandruff shampoos. I have a Chinese wooden scalp massaging comb, and every so often when my scalp bothers me, I'll put some on my scalp at night, use the comb for 15 minutes, and sleep with it on my scalp (i put a rag on my head so it doesn't get on my pillow).

I also sometimes just put the oil in my scalp in shower, let it sit, and then massage it out under the hot water. Feels nice, then I shampoo it out with regular non-dandruff shampoo. The coconut oil has anti-bacterial elements and the oil seems to loosen/rinse away the flakes, and it provides a break from using harsh dandruff shampoos every day.

I've had problems with it since I was a teen, but since I started using coconut oil it's really felt better than ever. I ran out this summer for a period and was too lazy to buy more, and my scalp was very irritated.
post #3 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbo123 View Post
I was told that coconut oil was one of if not the best things you can use on your hair. The thing I'm confused about is how you use it.

Some google searches tell me that you should:
1) Comb the oil through your hair.
2) Leave it on for at least 20 mins.
3) Shampoo and condition your hair.

That's fine but if shampoo cleans the crap out of your hair and conditioner replaces the natural oils... isn't coconut oil just a kind of conditioner? In other words should it be used after shampoo as opposed to before?

Apply coconut oil like you would apply shampoo on your hair. Use a towel or something when you go to bed.
post #4 of 10
I use body shop coconut shine, for about 10 years, maybe closer to 20. works well for me.
post #5 of 10
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by breakdown View Post
I'm not sure about the specifics of the science behind using Coconut Oil, but I've found that it has helped control chronic dandruff better than just using dandruff shampoos. I have a Chinese wooden scalp massaging comb, and every so often when my scalp bothers me, I'll put some on my scalp at night, use the comb for 15 minutes, and sleep with it on my scalp (i put a rag on my head so it doesn't get on my pillow).

I also sometimes just put the oil in my scalp in shower, let it sit, and then massage it out under the hot water. Feels nice, then I shampoo it out with regular non-dandruff shampoo. The coconut oil has anti-bacterial elements and the oil seems to loosen/rinse away the flakes, and it provides a break from using harsh dandruff shampoos every day.

I've had problems with it since I was a teen, but since I started using coconut oil it's really felt better than ever. I ran out this summer for a period and was too lazy to buy more, and my scalp was very irritated.

When younger I used to have really bad dandruff problem but now I wouldn't notice any difference there.
post #6 of 10
I think Kiehls integrates coconut oil into one of their shampoos, FWIW
post #7 of 10
im going to try body shop one day. i think this will help my hair as well.

i love the smell of coconut, it is such a unique and lovely scent. one of nature's best fragrances.
post #8 of 10
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by sho'nuff View Post
im going to try body shop one day. i think this will help my hair as well.

i love the smell of coconut, it is such a unique and lovely scent. one of nature's best fragrances.
I've been using this coconut oil from my grocers just to experiment with myself. Might try bodyshop or something next. About the smell, it doesn't really smell of anything to me. From eating Bounty chocolates I thought it would smell a bit stronger.
post #9 of 10
which the body shop? i would like to try a shampoo with a coconut scent to it.
post #10 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbo123 View Post
I've been using this coconut oil from my grocers just to experiment with myself. Might try bodyshop or something next. About the smell, it doesn't really smell of anything to me. From eating Bounty chocolates I thought it would smell a bit stronger.

Was told by my mother that Coconut oil was good for hair too, might be an Indian thing

This is what I have seen my aunts and grandmother use when oiling their heads with coconut oil.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Health & Body
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Health & Body › Coconut oil for hair