• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Bourbon.

The Wayfarer

Reaction score
What is your favorite and how do you take it?

Booker's and I take it neat or as an Old Fashioned. As for other bourbon cocktails, such as the Manhattan or Mint Julep, I turn to Maker's Mark. Maker's adds just the right amount of sweetness and I feel less bad clouding its taste than say I would with a more premium bourbon.

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I think we've had this thread twice before.

I think my favorite is Woodford Reserve. Bulleit is also great.

Southern Beau

Reaction score
Manhattan neat with Basil Hayden's. A nice and smooth bourbon that sips well.

Woodford Reserve is my choice when I make juleps.

Wild Turkey Single barrel for Virginia Tech football tailgates.

why

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Done this before.

Woodford is very good, but Basil Hayden's is my fav.

The Wayfarer

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Connemara
I think we've had this thread twice before.

Hm, I made it a point to search before posting this too. All I turned up were a few threads asking for bourbon recommendations. I intended this more as a curiosity of everyone's favorites and how they take it. If a mod cares to merge this with an existing through, by all means.

scarphe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
rip van winkle or buffloe trace. bulliet is prety good as well.the rye is good from rip van winkle as well but there are better ryes avaible at least in m limited xp.

sonick

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Knob if mixed. Woodford of neat/rocks. Jim Beam if on the cheap.

Lately if it's mixed I have it as a sour. Otherwise on the rocks if I have ice.

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
Aww hell, I couldn't name just one. Bulleit, Turkey, Knob, Woodford, Basil, Buffalo. Any bourbon is A-okay with me.

Generally on a couple rocks and maybe a little splash of water. Some manhattans, old fashioned, sometimes just with Coke. Whatever sounds good at the time.

Huntsman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I still think of myself as a newcomer to Bourbon, having been a devoted Scotch guy for so long. That said:

Woodford: Neat and Velvet Manhattan.

Knob: Standard Manhattan, mint julep and Old Fashioned.

I've not had Bulleit, but it's on my list.

~ Huntsman

The Wayfarer

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Huntsman
I still think of myself as a newcomer to Bourbon, having been a devoted Scotch guy for so long. That said: Woodford: Neat and Velvet Manhattan. Knob: Standard Manhattan, mint julep and Old Fashioned. I've not had Bulleit, but it's on my list. ~ Huntsman
For me it has been the other way around. I know Bourbon pretty well, but I'm just now delving further into Scotch. What is this Velvet Manhattan? Either Google is broken or I'm assuming that's a recipe of your own fashioning. Bulleit is great. I wouldn't say quite on the same level as my beloved Booker's, but it's certainly up there. I recently had an opportunity to interview Tom Bulleit for a piece I'm working on. I'm pretty excited to finish it up. What impresses me most is the hand's on, personal approach that all of these Bourbon distillers take with both their product and businesses. It's a much welcomed change of pace from the world of faceless corporations.

Brian278

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Woodford, Knob, Baker's, Booker's, Basil Hayden. The first two of which are always, always in stock at my bar. Don't like Maker's in the least. Really want to try Blanton's, Jefferson Reserve, and the higher-end Wild Turkey stuff (Eagle Rare, IIRC). All so very delicious. Mostly drank in homemade sours, occasionally on the rocks.

Huntsman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by The Wayfarer
For me it has been the other way around. I know Bourbon pretty well, but I'm just now delving further into Scotch. What is this Velvet Manhattan? Either Google is broken or I'm assuming that's a recipe of your own fashioning. Bulleit is great. I wouldn't say quite on the same level as my beloved Booker's, but it's certainly up there. I recently had an opportunity to interview Tom Bulleit for a piece I'm working on. I'm pretty excited to finish it up. What impresses me most is the hand's on, personal approach that all of these Bourbon distillers take with both their product and businesses. It's a much welcomed change of pace from the world of faceless corporations.
I agree about the value of soul in a product. I live for that, pretty much. You're a writer? Excellent, and that interview opportunity sounds like a true pleasure. The Velvet Manhattan is both my own recipe and a symptom of a broken Google. My post on SF about it certainly should have been the first result! It is an homage to some friends of mine. 2oz Woodford 1 oz Lillet Rouge 0.25 oz Sweet Vermouth 1 tsp 1:1 simple syrup (or not, it really depends on the Vermouth. With Vya, I like it) 5 drops bitters (something with a cinnamon topnote) Serve in the usual way. By the way, Wayfarer, I had a Delirium Tremens the other day on (I believe) your reccomendation. That is crazy stuff! I really enjoyed it, thanks. ~Huntsman

whodini

Conan OOOOOOO"BRIEN!
Reaction score
Just about any. Seriously.

On my desk: Woodford, Knob, Makers, Bulleit, and Evan Williams Single Barrel. I don't mind Baker's, Booker's, or ________ available at my local bar but I can't say I find anything particularly exciting about them. I used to be a HUGE Makers fan but have found myself drinking more Knob with Coke or Woodford on the rocks than anything else; I use Bulleit as the in-between.

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I can't consume more than one glass of Maker's. It's not a very good liquor.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 81 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 83 37.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.4%

Forum statistics

Threads