or Connect
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Bourbon. - Page 34

post #496 of 2244
Quote:
Originally Posted by ama View Post
There are at lest 30 bottles at my place, if anyone want I might be able to act as middle man, time and energy permitting.

I also tried it straight up this year as I do every year. This year is most chocolaty that I can recall, it tasted almost liqueur like until the intense alcohol burn kicked in. With a little water it rose to another level, chocolaty, leathery, nutty, chewy. Unbelievable. In short, it was one of the best drinking experiences I have had in months.

Grantty, have you heard of this place: http://www.sigmanbottle.com/ Its relatively close to Atlanta and they seem to have a great collection of bourbons.

Did one of the releases just happen for Stagg? I haven't been to the liquor store in a while so haven't looked recently. Maybe they have it now.
post #497 of 2244
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdangio View Post
Did one of the releases just happen for Stagg? I haven't been to the liquor store in a while so haven't looked recently. Maybe they have it now.

I've been told its trickling out. So if your store doesn't have it yet, check back soon.
post #498 of 2244
Thanks to ama's tip, picked up a bottle of Stagg. Just for info - '09 release is 141.4 proof/70.7% abv. Almost picked up a DE Lagavulin while there, but still have an unopened bottle of Lagavulin.
post #499 of 2244
Quote:
Originally Posted by duofold View Post
Thanks to ama's tip, picked up a bottle of Stagg. Just for info - '09 release is 141.4 proof/70.7% abv. Almost picked up a DE Lagavulin while there, but still have an unopened bottle of Lagavulin.
Having an unopened Lagavulin does not indicate that DE Lag (which is stunnnnnnning) should not be purchased. ~ H
post #500 of 2244
Quote:
Originally Posted by ama View Post
I've been told its trickling out. So if your store doesn't have it yet, check back soon.

I checked at two fairly large stores today (Tower and Green's in ATL) and neither had it or could say for sure if they would be getting any. Green's said there is a chance they will get some, but they don't know for sure, so I should check back every week or so.

Green's did have some Pappy 23 year old and Hirsch 16 year old.
post #501 of 2244
You should buy that Hirsch. I would -- the next one I encounter, I buy, period.
post #502 of 2244
Yeah, would be nice, but I wasn't really planning on dropping $200 on a bottle. If someone wants me to pick up for them I can do that.
post #503 of 2244
That's a good price. I would jump at the offer, but it is not possible to get it to me.
post #504 of 2244
I need to go to a tasting to find out what a 200 dollar bottle tastes like... I've only tasted up to 50...
post #505 of 2244
It's good. But there are diminishing returns. I have a special attachment for Hirsch 16 that make me willing to spend more for it. I find that $100/btl on most brown spirits is the peak of the value-for-money curve -- after that you pay a LOT more for moderate improvements. ~ H
post #506 of 2244
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntsman View Post
It's good.

But there are diminishing returns. I have a special attachment for Hirsch 16 that make me willing to spend more for it. I find that $100/btl on most brown spirits is the peak of the value-for-money curve -- after that you pay a LOT more for moderate improvements.

~ H

+100

I would not pay more than $75 to $100 for the Hirsch, so the special attachment point makes sense to me, lol.. I just don't find it that great a bourbon..
post #507 of 2244
I hate you all. I am in need of the Stagg release, but I haven't the time to drive to the liquor store to buy it. Grrr. maybe tomorrow.
post #508 of 2244
Quote:
Originally Posted by gnatty8 View Post
+100 I would not pay more than $75 to $100 for the Hirsch, so the special attachment point makes sense to me, lol.. I just don't find it that great a bourbon..
When I was really young (say, younger than 10yo), we were visiting with family near Lancaster, PA, and my parents made it into a vacation thing -- that area having a large Amish population and concurrently (if ironically) a lot of outlets. Anyway, I remember being at the park/historic site that is now Michter's Schaefferstown, PA distillery -- where, as I'm sure you know, the Hirsch 16 was distilled -- and thinking this was very cool. Naturally I forgot all about this experience for nearly twenty years. Two years ago I see a picture of the distillery in Michael Jackson's Whisky and it all comes back to me -- the trip, the distillery, the whole thing. So I get a bottle of Hirsch to commemorate that sort of seminal moment in my spirituous existence. It's quite a good bottle, if not an order of magnitude better than a $100btl, and though I've opened mine, I would like another for posterity's sake. ~ H
post #509 of 2244
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntsman View Post
When I was really young (say, younger than 10yo), we were visiting with family near Lancaster, PA, and my parents made it into a vacation thing -- that area having a large Amish population and concurrently (if ironically) a lot of outlets. Anyway, I remember being at the park/historic site that is now Michter's Schaefferstown, PA distillery -- where, as I'm sure you know, the Hirsch 16 was distilled -- and thinking this was very cool. Naturally I forgot all about this experience for nearly twenty years.

Two years ago I see a picture of the distillery in Michael Jackson's Whisky and it all comes back to me -- the trip, the distillery, the whole thing. So I get a bottle of Hirsch to commemorate that sort of seminal moment in my spirituous existence. It's quite a good bottle, if not an order of magnitude better than a $100btl, and though I've opened mine, I would like another for posterity's sake.

~ H

Cool story, I see why this is your grail bourbon now. Have you had the Hudson product at all? No connection to Hirsch, other than it's one of the only non-Kentucky bourbons I am aware of right now. The Baby Bourbon is a very good whiskey; I highly recommend it.
post #510 of 2244
I have the Four Grain but have not opened it. Will pick up the Baby next time I see it, in fact, courtesy the rec, I'll get two. I like to have my bourbon and drink it too. ~H
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home