• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Post pics of your outfit for me to criticize.....

edmorel

Quality Seller!!
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
The WAYWT thread is a great resource for seeing different styles, but for the most part it is a "friendly zone" where very few, if any, negative comments are posted. While I do not think that every pic posted should be criticized, I do believe that there is some value in having a post/thread where no holds are barred, if you will. A thread where you post knowing that you are going to be criticized. I am offering constructive, yet possibly harsh, criticism. All you need to do is provide a pic. Nothing personal, no comments on physique or face, just what I think about your clothes. Keep in mind that regardless of my style or lack thereof, I have the capacity to appreciate everything from the tradness of AlanC to the quirkiness of yfyf so I think I can do a good job with this. I will gladly offer up a pic of myself later on for criticism. I know that many tongues are bit when certain pics are posted, so I will sacrifice myself for the benefit of the forum. As an example, I will say something along the lines of, "those are very bad patterns to put together" and offer an alternative rather than "your outfit makes me want to vomit", at least in the beginnning. There are people here more qualified to do this, but they do not have the desire to do so. So step up to the plate!

edit: No brand mentioning please, or whether its RTW or MTM/bespoke.

Golf_Nerd

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

lee_44106

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ed,

There you go taking another one for the team, so to speak.

All the best as you embark upon this grand advanture.

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
I'll go first.

Here's a jacket that I'm convinced is shrinking my 'nads...what is your opinion of it?

284002359_RcQr4-XL.jpg

All the buttonholes are done expertly by hand...except the sleeve buttonholes.

Before I bought this jacket, I was fairly fit:

291422511_g6sEL-M.jpg

After I wore the jacket, however, things changed. I no longer have a deep voice.

What's your finding?

- B

robin

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Does it have to be pictures of me, or can I go grab random pictures of the gents at the Fedora Lounge?
devil.gif

More seriously, I don't see the point. I've seen criticisms in the WAYWT thread before, and I know I've given some out.

fusherino

Reaction score
is there a fee for this service?

nice first outfit. i generally dislike ties with horizontal lines, this ones not bad tho.

oh wait can we all comment or no?

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Here I am wearing the last generation of made in Maine Bass Weejuns. Ed, what is your opinion of the flesh colored socks I am wearing?

308219485_7dqqT-L.jpg

BTW, you can barely make out in the fuzzy photograph of the Masai women in the on the wall that they were incredibily hot. Smoking hot. While this is a trivial and extraneous fact for most, I know that it is probably the highlight of this entire post for you.

- B

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Here is a new bespoke dinner jacket and trousers, completed after seventeen fittings, and I am just about to head out to a Red Sox game (since winning our second World Series, it has become the rule that we all attend games in black tie).

I wanted to dress down the dinner suit a bit, so naturally I am wearing a knit tie. Do you think leaving the tag on the the outside of the trousers is too pretentious, though?

279605849_PLAvn-L.jpg

- B

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
^^^ The rules are dead. You have nothing to fear.

robin

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
^ LOL

Make sure you leave that artisanal white stitching in too.

Holdfast

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by robin
...I've seen criticisms in the WAYWT thread before, and I know I've given some out.

Some people do hold back though - you can tell it's treated as a bit of a "safer area" to post than what ed is suggesting for this thread.

I'm happy for people to critique me strongly in WAYWT though, if they want to (and they have occasionally). Though when I look bad (eg last Friday's pic) I usually notice it myself - and just couldn't be bothered to fix it - and comment on it myself first! Other than those occasional fit/lack-of-inspiration problems, it usually comes down to stylistic/aesthetic choices and while I'm definitely interested in reading people's perspectives on what I wear in that regard and discussing those differences (that's what the thread is great at), how much I'll actually alter my style is more limited.
smile.gif

WAYWT is great for getting inspiration/nicking ideas too.

DocHolliday

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by voxsartoria
I wanted to dress down the dinner suit a bit, so naturally I am wearing a knit tie. Do you think leaving the tag on the the outside of the trousers is too pretentious, though?

That is some gaudy pickstitching.

EDIT: Bah, Robin, you should delete your post. You're stealing my thunder.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 81 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 83 37.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.4%

Forum statistics

Threads