• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

do canadians live with their parents well after college?

ppllzz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
my gf has 5 or 6 cousins that all live with their parents

they all have jobs and are ~30 years old

they live in vancouver

is this normal, or at least common in vancouver/canada?

RJman

Posse Member
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
LOL.

Some do.
devil.gif

A Canuker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would think this is not the norm. I left/kicked/asked around the age of 16 so I do not have much knowledge of staying. I do have a friend who lives in the basement suite of his mom's house who is 30 and his brother lives in a suite on the same lot. I can see the one in the basement trying to raise a family there if it ever happened.

I think that in the right situation I guess it could be ok but it would never happen under my roof. It seems to set one up for lack of savings and spending of money on random items or so I have noticed.

I am not in Vancouver.

R-H

Reaction score
Look into the cost of living in Vancouver and you will see why they live with their parents.

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Are they indian or asian? I've got a korean friend making over 100k a year and he lives with his uncle to save on rent. He told me a lot of asians do this. Indian people always live with their parents too, or so it seems. They will do this even after they get married (girl moves in with husband's family).

MCsommerreid

Reaction score
Also goes for very wealthy (I.E. compound livin'), many Mediterranean folks, many Middle Eastern folks, and basically everyone but pop-culture white-bread American.

Hell, some people never leave the family home, even when they are married. They take it over from their parents so it is the now retired parent living with the working "child".

jkennett

Reaction score
Quite a few of my friends in Dublin and London live with their parents up into their mid to late 20's. Cost of obviously a factor. I also know an Irish expat family in Vancouver that do similarly, and I figured it might just be because their from Dublin... I guess that's not the case.

micbain

Reaction score
30's is pushing it; however, I do know a lot of people who live at home until mid to late twenties (myself included!). Part of it is cost of living, but a lot has to do with cultural values - I think its far more common for Indians to live at home and to an extent Asians as well. Considering how multi-cultural Vancouver is, I'd say the rate of people living at home is much higher than other major cities.

RJman

Posse Member
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bukkakeface
Are they indian or asian? I've got a korean friend making over 100k a year and he lives with his uncle to save on rent. He told me a lot of asians do this. Indian people always live with their parents too, or so it seems. They will do this even after they get married (girl moves in with husband's family).
Don't you live at home?

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by RJman
Don't you live at home?

People already know that (and why), although I know that you delight in pointing it out again. I've been on my own for years though and am only moving back for a fairly short amount of time. I won't still be there when I am 30. And I also wouldn't have moved back in with my mother, but my father is cool. And it's nice having dinner cooked for me most nights! I cook a couple times a week when i'm back at a reasonable hour.

RJman

Posse Member
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by GQgeek
People already know that (and why), although I know that you delight in pointing it out again. I've been on my own for years though and am only moving back for a fairly short amount of time. I won't still be there when I am 30. And I also wouldn't have moved back in with my mother, but my father is cool. And it's nice having dinner cooked for me most nights! I cook a couple times a week when i'm back at a reasonable hour.
Did you get my PM? The bear poster is back!

Viktri

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
As someone who lives in Vancouver and was recently determining his living location I would say it is normal.
Originally Posted by andyliu52
asian. i found an article that said ~30% of canadians 21-34 live with their parents, esp in vancouver and toronto b/c of cost of living, like r-h said question solved! http://www.sootoday.com/content/news...ryNumber=24013
keep in mind that "not living at home" does not mean they paid for their own apartments/rent. Most people aged 20-28 did not pay for their apartment or do not pay for their rent.

leftover_salmon

Reaction score
I'd ******* kill myself if I still ived with my parents. I went away to college when I was 18, and while I like coming home to visit, I just can't stand having to eat whatever dinner is at 6:30pm every night and having my dad come knock on my door to say "Hi" four times a day.

By the time you're 30, you should have a job and enough money to live on your own. Hell, by the time you're 22 (unless you're in grad school).

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads