or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Business, Careers & Education › How does one work 50+ hours a week?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

How does one work 50+ hours a week? - Page 6

post #76 of 387
Has anyone here read "The 4-Hour workweek" by Timothy Ferriss? It's a great book, highly recommended.

50-100 hours a week? What a horrible way to live.
post #77 of 387
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by dusty View Post
Early retirement is another ridiculous thing. Who wants to live out half of a lifetime with nothing to do all day?

But it's THEN that you can get the job you've always wanted to have, but couldn't earn enough money doing. I plan to retire and then work at a golf course or high-end watch store part-time.
post #78 of 387
Hahahaha, college boy realized that what he studied is boring and he's gonna be miserable for the rest of his life, along with all the other suckers!!!

LOL!
post #79 of 387
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuuma View Post
Hahahaha, college boy realized that what he studied is boring and he's gonna be miserable for the rest of his life, along with all the other suckers!!!

LOL!

Thanks What do you do for a living Mr. 4000 posts??

I think I actually like accounting (as much as someone could be expected to) I'm just disillusioned with the hours.
post #80 of 387
Quote:
Originally Posted by longskate88 View Post
Thanks What do you do for a living Mr. 4000 posts??


I'm an internet celebrity. Everything you reply to my posts I get royalties.
post #81 of 387
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by lance konami View Post
Has anyone here read "The 4-Hour workweek" by Timothy Ferriss? It's a great book, highly recommended.

50-100 hours a week? What a horrible way to live.

Could you elaborate? I believe it states that most people fill there time with useless busy work just to say they were working for 8 hours during the day, but how does someone get around the required 40-hour week at most jobs?
post #82 of 387
I wasn't used to the 50 hour work weeks as an engineer, but once you start the work you realize that you just can't accomplish all your tasks in 40 hours. It took me about a month to adjust and now i'm doing 50-60 hours a week on a regular basis.
post #83 of 387
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by dchiu7 View Post
I wasn't used to the 50 hour work weeks as an engineer, but once you start the work you realize that you just can't accomplish all your tasks in 40 hours. It took me about a month to adjust and now i'm doing 50-60 hours a week on a regular basis.

Do you find the time just goes by, you're not just watching the clock all day? I'm hoping that by getting engrossed in the work, time will go by faster!
post #84 of 387
Quote:
Originally Posted by dchiu7 View Post
I wasn't used to the 50 hour work weeks as an engineer, but once you start the work you realize that you just can't accomplish all your tasks in 40 hours. It took me about a month to adjust and now i'm doing 50-60 hours a week on a regular basis.

Well obv. if they want you to work 50 hours they are going to give you 50 hours worth of tasks. That doesn't make it right or appropriate.
post #85 of 387
Quote:
Originally Posted by dusty View Post
Early retirement is another ridiculous thing. Who wants to live out half of a lifetime with nothing to do all day?
You're saying you have nothing better to occupy your time than work. Personally, I could pick any number of interesting and fulfilling activities to occupy my time.

Most likely I would pursue some form of venture, whether it be charity, creative, or otherwise.
post #86 of 387
Quote:
Originally Posted by longskate88 View Post
Do you find the time just goes by, you're not just watching the clock all day? I'm hoping that by getting engrossed in the work, time will go by faster!
If you are busy and under a lot of pressure, you don't even notice the time passing. You can blink your eyes and 12 hours is gone.
post #87 of 387
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifersfc View Post
You're saying you have nothing better to occupy your time than work. Personally, I could pick any number of interesting and fulfilling activities to occupy my time. Most likely I would pursue some form of venture, whether it be charity, creative, or otherwise.
Yeah, some people can do that. But why not choose choose my 'life's work' correctly the first time? If anything, this thread has encouraged me to never stray from the warm embrace of government employment.
post #88 of 387
As someone who has "been there and done it", forget being successful without putting in the hours. To be successful requires effective human interaction in addition to whatever task is required to do. Human interaction takes time, there is no short cut. That is where the hours add up.

So, pick a field that you enjoy and develop the interaction skills required to influence people effectively and to motivate them.

But, all that being said, it is a normal part of growing up and maturing to come to terms with this. If you like what you do, and are motivated to succeed, you will adjust and probably find it very fullfilling.

Good luck!
post #89 of 387
lol @ 100 hours a week, thats what hmm 14 hour days everyday. Calling bullshit on that one. work smarter, dont work harder or longer. Owning your own business is a way to lift yourself out of the rat race if you are smart and dont build it around you working longer/harder. Certainly in the beginning you need to put in hours networking, planning and starting investments, but once you get the ball rolling you should be spending less time on the grunt work. Hire good people, and run the workings of you business and network. I certainly put hours into networking, but i can hardly call it work, i love it, and usually its things i like to do anyways like go out to Breakfast lunch or dinner, or to a bar for a couple drinks. I dont golf, but eventually i'll add that to the list also.
post #90 of 387
60 is what i do allready, leaving out studying. The hard part is figuring out where you want to end up, and what you like to do while getting there. Now if I could figure that out myself I could turn those 90 hour weeks doing a myriad of jobs into a more constructive path...
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Business, Careers & Education
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Business, Careers & Education › How does one work 50+ hours a week?