• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Olympics

oneblood

Reaction score
I'm not really a fan. I do love sports but I couldn't care less about Michael Phelps. It's all a money grab for advertising anyway. That said, by day 4 I'll probably be awaiting the Men's Gymnastics with baited breath.

Personal feelings about the Olympics?

Shraka

Reaction score
EDITED:

Drugging might be an issue. China (and the whole free Tibet thing) annoys me.

oneblood

Reaction score
Check it out in the streetwear forum...I appreciate your comments.

SenorMatador

Reaction score
Michael Phelps is a prick in real life, but then again with all of his hardware it's easy to ask who wouldn't be?

No it was not some one off-day he had, I've had several run-ins with him.

mink31

Reaction score
A logistical question: just exactly how are they planning to show the opening ceremony tonight at 8pm eastern and have it be live (I think that's been the plan)? It'll be 8AM Aug 9th in Beijing...

If anything, I'm guessing that they're doing the opening right now (so it's still 8/8/08 & 8pm) and we'll just see it 12 hrs later.

odoreater

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think the Olympics is pretty cool. Looking forward to lots of events, including wrestling, boxing, judo, beach volleyball, water polo, weight lifting, probably some others I'm forgetting. That BMX thing looks like it might be cool too.

RJman

Posse Member
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I'm sort of afraid the marathoners will keel over.

clarity

Reaction score
I want to watch the bikers suffer in the pollution.

visionology

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm a fan of the Olympics however with so many drug problems nowadays it's hard to tell who is doping and who isn't or if whoever you are watching will be caught in a couple years from now, making whatever you watched a farce.

The events I will probably pay the most attention to are swimming, short distance track and field, basketball, rowing, some cycling, volleyball, boxing, and I may be forced to watch the gymnastics with the woman.

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Just saw the opening ceremony... cool show, with probably the most awesome display, make that displays of fireworks. The lighting of the Olympic torch was also awesome, with the guy looking like he's running sideways around the wraparound video wall, and the way the torch was lit.... good show.

JetBlast

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Am I the only person who really thinks the Olympics are only about bringing in a bunch of money and not really about the sports anymore?

JB

odoreater

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JetBlast
Am I the only person who really thinks the Olympics are only about bringing in a bunch of money and not really about the sports anymore?

JB

I think your statement doesn't make any sense. How, exactly, are they only about bringing in money and not really about sports?

It seems to me that this is some kind of cliche that you've picked up somewhere that you are just repeating now without having thought about it much.

babygreenspots

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by odoreater
I think your statement doesn't make any sense. How, exactly, are they only about bringing in money and not really about sports?

It seems to me that this is some kind of cliche that you've picked up somewhere that you are just repeating now without having thought about it much.

Everyone relies on cliches. The Olympics is increasingly about money and marketing - in China more than ever before because the market is so huge.

I just saw the Opening Ceremony and it was the most amazing spectacle I have ever witnessed. Let them butcher the minorities and restrict free speech.

chorse123

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I'm a big fan. A key is to watch beyond the overhyped American superstars. Michael Phelps was on the Today show two days straight while I ate breakfast. What the hell?

I got a new HDTV and digital cable in part because I wanted to be able to watch them clearly, and not have be forced to endure NBC's overly edited prime time coverage.

I'm really looking forward to track and field. The women's pole vault in Athens was one of the most amazing competitions I've seen.

[Insert dirty pole vault joke here]

Douglas

Stupid ass member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SenorMatador
Michael Phelps is a prick in real life, but then again with all of his hardware it's easy to ask who wouldn't be?

No it was not some one off-day he had, I've had several run-ins with him.

Really? This is sad. I follow the swimming pretty closely, as I swam in high school and I can identify (to some tiny fraction of a degree) with the discipline it demands. Beyond the drunk driving thing, Phelps has seemed to really have his act together and puts a good image forward in the press... which has to be hard to do at his young age.

I have been rooting very hard for him, but this will make it tougher to do so. Damn.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads