or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto › 911 Turbo vs. Ferrari: Pros & Cons
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

911 Turbo vs. Ferrari: Pros & Cons - Page 3

post #31 of 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern-Nupe View Post
Not true at all....Ferrari's hold their value quite well. Look at the price people are paying for preowned 06' F430's.

Yea but they only them when they havent been driven more than 1200 miles. Even then prices are falling quickly. Personally, I would opt for a GT2/3 not that big of a fan of a 4WD sports car, but it is a good daily driver. BTW, they cant give 360's away due to over production, same will hold true of the 430 when he next model arrives. Even now they arent trading hands due to the economy and lack of HELOCs. Check out ebay, hundreds of 360s for sale breaking the $100k mark. Only chance to sell them are the garage queens.
post #32 of 85
@ Why...
That's a largely incorrect assumption, that quatermile times can't be based solely on hp and torque at a certain rpm. There's so many other aspects to q/t times, including transmission, rear axel ratio, weight, etc.
Back on topic, I would go for a GT2 or GT3 as suggested earlier. Although what Ferrari models were you looking at getting?
post #33 of 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by why View Post
What does that matter (yes, if you wanted to know)?

You can look at the torque and horsepower @ xRPMs to see the big difference between the two in the quarter mile...
Yes, a Ferrari along with many other cars have more torque and thus can beat a Porsche off the line. I know of an MB that does so routinely. But being fast off the line is not the strength of Porsche, and never has been. It's all about handling for Porsche, and on that criterion it performs superbly. Dry or wet, especially with an all wheel drive, Porsche provides an exilerating driving experience day in and day out. For a real thrill and to fully appreciate its capabilities, take a Porsche out during a snow storm (with appropriate tires, of course). You'll be amazed at its performance, even when SUVs are having trouble.

It's difficult for me to understand how a true car enthusiast can say that Porsche is the ultimate doucebag car. I have no doubt that doucebags might drive them, as it would be with any car, but a car enthusiast knows that Porsche produces a great vehicle.
post #34 of 85
1/4 mile time for a street car is so overrated. I think of Porsche as the next step up from BMW- they'll never blow you away with HP/torque/0-60 times, but it's the rest of the drive that really matters, and that is where they shine.

That said, I like most of the Porsche exteriors, but the design/part choices of the interior is dreadful. They look more suited to a car that costs 1/2 that.
post #35 of 85
Traditionally, I wouldn't put BMW and Porsche in the same category. BMW builds sporty sedans --- they're fun to drive, and practical. Porsche, until the Cayenne, built sport cars.

--Andre
post #36 of 85
I would agree, but the M3 comes pretty close, albeit too heavy for a true sports car. I have taken a real liking to lotus for the track, etc. good bang for the buck
post #37 of 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by why View Post
What does that matter (yes, if you wanted to know)?

You can look at the torque and horsepower @ xRPMs to see the big difference between the two in the quarter mile...
The difference isn't as much as one would think, in fact the 911 makes considerably more torque.
997 Turbo

0-60: 3.8
HP: 480
Torque: 457 ft/lbs

F430

0-60: 3.9 (3.5 in the euro with launch control)
HP: 483
Torque: 343 ft/lbs.
post #38 of 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andre Yew View Post
Traditionally, I wouldn't put BMW and Porsche in the same category. BMW builds sporty sedans --- they're fun to drive, and practical. Porsche, until the Cayenne, built sport cars.

--Andre

That's ridiculous to claim that Porsche does not build sports cars. I'm no fan of the Cayenne but it was a great business move. The 911 remains a classic.
post #39 of 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern-Nupe View Post
Not true at all....Ferrari's hold their value quite well. Look at the price people are paying for preowned 06' F430's.

Not as true on older model Ferraris which can depreciate quite fast.
post #40 of 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artisan Fan View Post
Not as true on older model Ferraris which can depreciate quite fast.
But does the same not apply to 911's?

I've seen numerous 996's and go for under $30,000 on autotrader.com. In fact there were even a couple of cabriolet's priced around the 28 mark. If it wasn't for them reading 70 grand on the odometer, I'd be pretty interested.
post #41 of 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern-Nupe View Post
But does the same not apply to 911's?

I've seen numerous 996's and go for under $30,000 on autotrader.com. In fact there were even a couple of cabriolet's priced around the 28 mark. If it wasn't for them reading 70 grand on the odometer, I'd be pretty interested.
996's and 997's are not holding their value as well as their air-cooled predecessors. Too many of them were made to command premium resale.
post #42 of 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayJay View Post
996's and 997's are not holding their value as well as their air-cooled predecessors. Too many of them were made to command premium resale.
I've always considered the 911's to be a mass-produced car, their only limited production models are the GT2's and GT3's, of which the GT2's should hold value well given their desirability/low production numbers.
post #43 of 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern-Nupe View Post
I've always considered the 911's to be a mass-produced car, their only limited production models are the GT2's and GT3's, of which the GT2's should hold value well given their desirability/low production numbers.
Very true.
post #44 of 85
The GT2/Gt3s drop in price fast too...I know I had one of each that I got from Otis Chandlers museam before he passed away. I do like them anyway.
post #45 of 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artisan Fan View Post
That's ridiculous to claim that Porsche does not build sports cars.

Take a deep breath and reread what I wrote, because I never made that claim.

--Andre
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto › 911 Turbo vs. Ferrari: Pros & Cons