• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Chicago: Your favorite thing(s) to do

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I'll soon be fairly close to Chicago and plan on taking advantage of what the city offers. In terms of museums and culture, what are your favorite things to see and do?

I'd also like some recommendations on cheap eats. Thanks.

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
Shedd Aquarium is a must-see. Absolutely beautiful.

Then your regulars-- Millenium Park, the Bean, Magnificent Mile, Navy Pier, KWilkinson's apartment, you know, all the good stuff.

Casey

Reaction score
I went in the winter and although it was my goal to make it to Barneys (which I did) I spent a lot of time at Millenium park playing in the snow (I had never played in snow before this February) and looking at the architecture. I thought it was totally relaxing to just look at the city and enjoy the environment since it was so different from what I was used to. I believe the museum is called The Museum of Contemporary Art. My friends went while I was shopping and they thoroughly enjoyed it.

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Casey
I believe the museum is called The Museum of Contemporary Art. My friends went while I was shopping and they thoroughly enjoyed it.

There are a few, but that's one of them. The other is the Art Institute of Chicago. I went to the latter when they had a Van Gogh/Gaugin exposition a few years ago. It was amazing.

Xericx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I loved the Art Institute of Chicago. Navy Pier is a waste of time. Millenium park is cool, as are those fountains there. Did a boat ride on lake michigan, kind of boring.

I liked Heaven on Seven for cajun food. Hot dogs about of course, as the deep dish pizza. I also like the Sal de Carvao, which is a really good brazillian all you can eat type of set up.

Eating the Sunday brunch at the top of the Hancock Tower was nice too.

some of the bus tours are nice where they talk about this history of chicago.

lbcgav

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Xericx
I loved the Art Institute of Chicago. Navy Pier is a waste of time. Millenium park is cool, as are those fountains there. Did a boat ride on lake michigan, kind of boring.

I liked Heaven on Seven for cajun food. Hot dogs about of course, as the deep dish pizza. I also like the Sal de Carvao, which is a really good brazillian all you can eat type of set up.

Eating the Sunday brunch at the top of the Hancock Tower was nice too.

some of the bus tours are nice where they talk about this history of chicago.

I second going to the Hancock Tower...at night for a cocktail, though.

Originally Posted by kwilkinson
Shedd Aquarium is a must-see. Absolutely beautiful.

Then your regulars-- Millenium Park, the Bean, Magnificent Mile, Navy Pier, KWilkinson's apartment, you know, all the good stuff.

I would second a visit to the Shedd.

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
1. archetecrural boat tour
2. art museum
3. science and technology museum
4. drinks at the top of the handcock building
5. shedd aquarium

to eat

1. gyros
2. pizza
3. hot dog
4. vietnamese

Agnacious

Reaction score
One of the nice things about Chicago is that there is always something going on, which means having favorites is not needed.

http://chicago.metromix.com/

I agree with X about NP, and boat rides. Once is more than enough. There are of course museums and theatre. There is the summer music series at the art institute:

http://www.artic.edu/aic/calendar/event?EventID=4990

Can be a good place to start the night.

You could get a shave at:

http://www.truefittandhill.com/landing.php

if taking 45 minutes to have something done to you that normally only takes 30 seconds appeals to you. I personally almost went insane.

There is a beach of sorts. I live about 4 blocks away. I've gone twice. Miami and San Diego have nice beaches. Moving on...

There are many places to eat. Some quite good, but you can reflect on why the art of pizza and fried dough is such a difficult concept to master. And get your fill of pastrami before you leave NY because its just not the same.

If it is your first time you should consider here:

http://www.quartinochicago.com/

young professional crowd, sit on the sidewalk and enjoy the scenary. I am sure there are better places but at least here you don't need to worry about someone dropping a disgusting thick pizza on you, killing you in the process.

Just don't walk 4 abreast on the sidewalk. We have enough people here that do that.

unpainted huffheinz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Chicago has well over 6000 bars, most of them horrible dives often with Irish sounding names. Welcome home Conne.

audiophilia

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
1. Chicago Symphony Orchestra
2. Art Institute of Chicago
3. Le Francais restaurant
4. Shopping on the Mile
5. Chill around Wrigley

Huntsman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Things I haven't done in Chicago but want to do:

1. Get an original Reuben
2. Go to the Art Institute
3. Go to the Field Museum to see the lions
4. Have several drinks at Violet Hour.

~ Huntsman

andyw

Reaction score
Ever since the Berghoff closed, the Second City fell way down the list.

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by andyw
Ever since the Berghoff closed, the Second City fell way down the list.

it reopened

andyw

Reaction score
Originally Posted by globetrotter
it reopened

.....in that case, I suggest:

1) eating lunch or dinner at the Berghoff, then
2) picking up an architectural guide and enjoy the cradle of American architecture. Walk off the calories by enjoying a trove of projects design by Frank Lloyd Wright, Louis Sullivan, Daniel Burnham, SOM, Mies Van der Rohe, Helmut Jahn and Rem Koolhaas to name a few,
3) visit a suburb like Evanston and rent a bike to soak up the feel of Midwest suburban life.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads