or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › General › General Chat › Chicago: Your favorite thing(s) to do
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Chicago: Your favorite thing(s) to do - Page 4

post #46 of 172
Watch Ferris Bueler's Day Off before you go to Chicago - it's a good guide, actually.
Every carnivore needs to go to one of Chicago's amazing steakhouses. If you go to the House of Blues, then go to Smith and Wollensky, which is next door. Ask the folks there if you can see the dry-aging room - it really is a spectacle. Gibson's is another great steakhouse.

To the person who mentioned Weiners Circle, I think that's a brilliant recommendation - Conne would definitely get a kick out of that place.

I second the recommendations of Charlie Trotters and Tru. I would lean towards Trotters for a visitor since it is an American icon of restaurants.

For entertainment, I recommend Buddy Guy's Legends and Kingston Mines for music.
post #47 of 172
Quote:
Originally Posted by HORNS View Post
Watch Ferris Bueler's Day Off before you go to Chicago - it's a good guide, actually.
Every carnivore needs to go to one of Chicago's amazing steakhouses. If you go to the House of Blues, then go to Smith and Wollensky, which is next door. Ask the folks there if you can see the dry-aging room - it really is a spectacle. Gibson's is another great steakhouse.

To the person who mentioned Weiners Circle, I think that's a brilliant recommendation - Conne would definitely get a kick out of that place.

I second the recommendations of Charlie Trotters and Tru. I would lean towards Trotters for a visitor since it is an American icon of restaurants.

For entertainment, I recommend Buddy Guy's Legends and Kingston Mines for music.

Every carnivore needs to go to one of Chicago's steakhouses.

Anything else beside steakhouses... please?! I prefer to eat fish than meat.

I just printed this thread. We will see what we can do with this great information from you guys.

Thank you very much.
post #48 of 172
For seafood, go to Spring on North Ave.
post #49 of 172
I have heard good things about Spring, but have no experience.

Devon has a pretty good menu, much better I think than McCormick & Schmick's which I don't care for at all.

I am going to go against the tide here and say the steakhouses are nothing better than you find in any other metro region. I have eaten in most of the steakhouses here and I cannot say I have ever eaten in one that would think, wow, I have to tell someone to eat here when they come to Chicago. I really could be eating anywhere. And if I could be anywhere I would rather it was Ruth's in Coral Gables or Mortons in FLL, but only because the scenary is better.

That may be though because I find a one pound slab of naked beef on a plate with a potato and asparagus (typical combination) pretty coarse flavors in the fine dining world.

Pane-Caldo on east walton has a nice steak selection, about 8 ounces with a sauce of some sort, but more importantly it is sized such that you can enjoy a better cut, better prepared piece of meat and still have room to enjoy other items on the menu. I think it is one of the better restaurants in chicago.

http://www.pane-caldo.com/
post #50 of 172
Quote:
Originally Posted by X-It View Post
Anything else beside steakhouses... please?! I prefer to eat fish than meat.

I just printed this thread. We will see what we can do with this great information from you guys.

Thank you very much.

Chicago is not a good city for seafood. I was appalled at both the price and quality after moving here from the Gulf Coast. You have to go to a very expensive place that flies in the seafood daily to get anything like what you would get on the coasts.

Do you like Italian food? Chicago has some pretty good places from inexpensive Americanized Italian to Spiaggia which is quite amazing.

Chicago also has neighborhoods with lots of German, Polish, Vietnamese and Indian food, but you might have to do some exploring to find them.

Post back when you get here and maybe some people from the forum will offer to be your tour guide.
post #51 of 172
Quote:
Originally Posted by unpainted huffheinz View Post
Chicago is not a good city for seafood. I was appalled at both the price and quality after moving here from the Gulf Coast. You have to go to a very expensive place that flies in the seafood daily to get anything like what you would get on the coasts.

Do you like Italian food? Chicago has some pretty good places from inexpensive Americanized Italian to Spiaggia which is quite amazing.

Chicago also has neighborhoods with lots of German, Polish, Vietnamese and Indian food, but you might have to do some exploring to find them.

Post back when you get here and maybe some people from the forum will offer to be your tour guide.

Greektown is a great place to go for food as well.
post #52 of 172
Quote:
Originally Posted by HORNS View Post
Greektown is a great place to go for food as well.

Ohhhhh yes. Greektown is teh bezt. Baklava!!!!
post #53 of 172
Quote:
Originally Posted by HORNS View Post
Greektown is a great place to go for food as well.

Flaming cheese! Opa!
post #54 of 172
Yes, you have to pay for it, but Chicago has some great seafood. And I would say that, unfortunately, Italian is probably the weakest-represented of the major cuisines. Spiaggia is really hot and cold for both food and service (and the wine list prices are f'ing obnoxious), and don't even get me started on Coco Pazzo. Best I'm aware of is Follia on Fulton; but christ is the service bad.
post #55 of 172
OK, I just remembered something else I loved about Chicagoland. This is about as un-fancy as you can get, but the Perdue honey wings in the deli of a Jewel-Osco supermarket are suprisingly tasty. If you're desperate or in a rush, that's always an option.
post #56 of 172
attend reverend wright's church...sing, dance, listen to racist rants attend a michele obama speech and be proud of the usa for the first time attend a barack obama fundraiser, give $, help him break his promise on campaign finance reform
post #57 of 172
My favorite pizza in recent years has been Pizanos. (Order extra butter on the crust.)
post #58 of 172
Quote:
Originally Posted by HORNS View Post
Greektown is a great place to go for food as well.

I wish I remembered the name of the place in Greektown where we went for gyros at 3am. Huge line out front; took about 20 minutes to get inside the door but definitely worth the wait!
post #59 of 172
Quote:
Originally Posted by Septavius View Post
OK, I just remembered something else I loved about Chicagoland. This is about as un-fancy as you can get, but the Perdue honey wings in the deli of a Jewel-Osco supermarket are suprisingly tasty. If you're desperate or in a rush, that's always an option.

Yeah but unless you're a member of their "club," Jewel-Osco fucks you about every way possible.
post #60 of 172
I enjoyed finally going to Second City.... It goes with out saying you do not want to eat there, but it could be the good start of an evening between going to dinner and other night life. If you're running late Oldtown has a few places to grab a quick bite...
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Chat
Styleforum › Forums › General › General Chat › Chicago: Your favorite thing(s) to do