or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Zee's Leatherware & Shoe Co.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Zee's Leatherware & Shoe Co. - Page 28

post #406 of 478
Quote:
Originally Posted by hkhobo View Post

Got my second pair of Zee's - A pair of brown double monks.

I gave them pictures from http://www.sidmashburn.com/sid-mashburn-double-monk-strap-brown-burnish.html to copy . i asked for a more rounded/conservative toe, since the other double monk samples at their store are too pointy for my taste, however the toe ended up being a little too square-ish. The shoes are quite chunky but i actually like them that way.

I experimented with some leather dyes and actually ended up with a dark brownish burgundy color (original color was more similar to the Sid Mashburns).

350x263px-LL-7ffe9131_L1040420.jpeg350x263px-LL-a5cfbd31_L1040422.jpeg

These have been worn about half a dozen times.

hkhobo - those shoes are beautiful! great work with the leather dye. do you have a GY welt on these as well? I would very much like to emulate the color you achieved here. any tips on how you pulled it off?

I just visited Zee's for the first time and had a pair of dark brown suede cap toes as well as a belt and card case. Overall I have been very pleased with the end result for the price although the quality of leather for the belt is not what I had expected and whatever kind of leather they used for the soles of the shoes is pretty poor. I will post photos over the weekend for those of you that may be interested.
post #407 of 478
Hey all, as I mentioned in my last post, I just recently commissioned my first pair of shoes from Zee's last month. I am interested in ordering another pair via email and want to know what kind of experience you have had with repeat orders without going in for a fitting. Last time I was there, I went through the fitting process with the canvas shoe model. Is this necessary for every pair, or do they keep this kind of client fit information on file?

Thanks for your help.
post #408 of 478
Quote:
Originally Posted by tipitai View Post

Hey all, as I mentioned in my last post, I just recently commissioned my first pair of shoes from Zee's last month. I am interested in ordering another pair via email and want to know what kind of experience you have had with repeat orders without going in for a fitting. Last time I was there, I went through the fitting process with the canvas shoe model. Is this necessary for every pair, or do they keep this kind of client fit information on file?
Thanks for your help.

im yet to repeat order, but they keep your last so no further fittings required. if you like the fit, pull the trigger
post #409 of 478
Quote:
Originally Posted by tipitai View Post

Hey all, as I mentioned in my last post, I just recently commissioned my first pair of shoes from Zee's last month. I am interested in ordering another pair via email and want to know what kind of experience you have had with repeat orders without going in for a fitting. Last time I was there, I went through the fitting process with the canvas shoe model. Is this necessary for every pair, or do they keep this kind of client fit information on file?

I had my first pair, a pair of balmoral boots, made in late 2010, and had one fitting with the canvas model before getting the final product. When I returned to HK in late 2011, I did not get an intermediate fitting on the second pair as I was pressed for time and the first pair fit generally fine although the "V" opening is wider than I wanted. The second pair doesn't fit as well as the first; it's a bit tight at the widest part on the right shoe. It's also a bit more elongated than I would've preferred.

If I get another pair made, I might bring a pair that already fits me well to work from that instead.

2010 boots on the left.
2011 shoes on the right
254
post #410 of 478

They're great - how much were they if you don't mind me asking?

 

Just had a suit made by Danny's in the same arcade, and am tempted to have some shoes made too!

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkhobo View Post

Got my second pair of Zee's - A pair of brown double monks.

 

I gave them pictures from http://www.sidmashburn.com/sid-mashburn-double-monk-strap-brown-burnish.html to copy . i asked for a more rounded/conservative toe, since the other double monk samples at their store are too pointy for my taste, however the toe ended up being a little too square-ish. The shoes are quite chunky but i actually like them that way.

 

I experimented with some leather dyes and actually ended up with a dark brownish burgundy color (original color was more similar to the Sid Mashburns).

 

L1040420.JPGL1040422.JPG

 

These have been worn about half a dozen times.



 

post #411 of 478
How do you guys think Zee's would do with elastic-sided shoes, a la Cleverley? I think I want a pair of Cleverley chisel-toed gusset brogues, but with Dainite soles and at Zee's price point.
post #412 of 478
Quote:
Originally Posted by godofcoffee View Post

How do you guys think Zee's would do with elastic-sided shoes, a la Cleverley? I think I want a pair of Cleverley chisel-toed gusset brogues, but with Dainite soles and at Zee's price point.

The idea of dainite sole with that design sounds in contradiction.
post #413 of 478
Quote:
Originally Posted by add911_11 View Post

The idea of dainite sole with that design sounds in contradiction.

You think that the sole would seem too chunky on a Cleverley-like last design?
post #414 of 478
Does Zee stock shell cordovan as well? From Horween or other reputatable source? Thanks.
post #415 of 478
Quote:
Originally Posted by honpan View Post

Does Zee stock shell cordovan as well? From Horween or other reputatable source? Thanks.

It does not.
post #416 of 478

IMG_0302.JPG

 

Just got my pair from Zee's. HKD 1600 for goodyear welt and extra soft insole. 

 

The leather feels softer than my testoni, but still in good quality. As you may see from the pic, the original color comes with some subtle trace of antiquing, which I feel pretty fond of. When asked, the son of Zees (with glasses) says the effect comes from his polish with brown shoe cream.

 

Of course, some details such as finishing of the insoles still reminds me they are no more than a budget choice.  

 

Hope this helps for anyone interesting at Zee's.

post #417 of 478
Agreed. If Zee's can improve their insole finishing that I think it would be hard for us to get a good part of shoes in this price range.
post #418 of 478
^^^^ Did you really use a picture of PG as your avatar?
post #419 of 478
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexDeC View Post

Just got my pair from Zee's. HKD 1600 for goodyear welt and extra soft insole. 

The leather feels softer than my testoni, but still in good quality. As you may see from the pic, the original color comes with some subtle trace of antiquing, which I feel pretty fond of. When asked, the son of Zees (with glasses) says the effect comes from his polish with brown shoe cream.

Of course, some details such as finishing of the insoles still reminds me they are no more than a budget choice.  

Hope this helps for anyone interesting at Zee's.

can you show a picture from sideon. i want to see how thick the sole is with the goodyear option.
post #420 of 478
I had some suede shoes made a few months ago. After a measure up, followed by trying on the canvas shoe, after about a week they were posted to me.
They weren't perfect. The length of the shoes were not the same (about 1/2-1 cm difference - only noticeable if you put them together sole to sole), The insoles feel like they need more padding too.

I will post photos when I can.

I will be in HK very soon. I am toying with having a a pair of calf skin shoes made, but I am not a fan of the finish on a lot of their shoes (one of the reasons I went suede 1st time round). AlexDC's shoes above look better than what I have seen though.

I know some posters have done the antiquing themselves - I have no idea how one could do that.
Is there a step by step video or guide somewhere?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Zee's Leatherware & Shoe Co.