Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Quik Rundown on Post-Christmas Sales in Manhattan
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Quik Rundown on Post-Christmas Sales in Manhattan - Page 2

post #16 of 105
I am going back to Paul Stuart later. they are supposed to be receiving some sale shoes from the Chicago store today. I will report back if there is anything noteworthy. Otherwise, I would not bother with the PS sale. And, no, the shoes were not marked down again.
post #17 of 105
All Zegna and Avon Celli wool/cashmere sweaters & long sleeve polos are add'l 50% off ticketed price at Union Square Filene's Basement
post #18 of 105
My public service to the StyleForum... an update on Manhattan shopping (12/30/04). Saks Shoe selection sucked. The ONLY Greens on sale were a pair of chestnut colored loafers subcontracted to an Italian firm. Sadly, the Greens are now jacked up to $850 from the $695 and $725 prices points enjoyed only a month earlier... Deal of the Day: A 16R H&K shirt marked down to around $75 after the 40% off discount. I left it on the rack. Barney's I didn't head up stairs since the markdowns weren't that steep to merit temptation. I ran across a few $495 RRP Kiton shirts--nice, but who are they kidding? For that price, Kabbaz seems only like a modest step up. The WORST NEWS of the day: Barney's will NO longer be carrying C&J Handgrade. This makes me really sad since there are already so few places where you can buy quality English shoes in the US. Actually, does anyone know of a retailer for C&J Handgrade in the city aside from Barney's? BG Just a quick visit. Nice selection of shirts, knitwear, etc. on the 1st floor. Not the greatest of discounts, but worth a visit if you have the disposable income to afford BG. Nice selection of Kiton shoes on sale, and a few stunners from Gravati and Peluso. My one highlight was that BG decided to stock this JL Naseby this season--too bad they only had it in black. Beretta I've become a huge fan of their RTW for tweedy casual stuff. The nicer shirts are a bit pricey ($165) for their unremarkable construction, but I'm really digging the heavy weight twills. 30% off wasn't nearly tempting enough for me to pull the trigger. Dunhill & Asprey They both have sales. Missed closing by 10 minutes. I'd really appreciate an update on both of these retailers. I actually like the fit on the Jodphurs at Dunhill more than the models sold at Paul Stuart. And yes, Asprey, stocks two or three models of EG. Brooks Brothers Ironically, the Brooks shell cordovans are actually cheaper than those sold at the Alden store, a block away ($488 vs $500-525 on most of the Alden models). I might try to pick up a stray pair at the end of the season. BB is simply too huge for a comprehensive review... GF suits are $698, which is fair, but not great w/o the 15% off coupon. Quite a bit of the outwear was discounted 40% off. I didn't stay long enough to check out the Stormguard stuff I spotted in the catalog. Paul Stuart The Chicago shipment came and went. A few gems for the fortunate souls. Shirtings sucked, knitwear was marginally better except for the smalls, while a few gems were mixed in with the suits. I would have been tempted to pick up a beautiful flannel, but resisted since I need a year-around rather than a winter weight. The shoes (does anyone notice a trend?) were great if you love loafers, and pretty competitive with the Bennie's bonanza in very limited sizes and styles. After having 0 luck with our friend in Atlanta, I managed to snag a pair of shell cordovan loafers that look almost identical to the signature JM Weston model with single instead of double soles for a very attractive price. Thank you Chicago. Whew, end post. EDIT: Bry, my boots are from C&J not Paul Stuart. The Stuart Grenson's were out of my price range and I prefer the thicker sole on the C&J's for Polo.
post #19 of 105
Quote:
My public service to the StyleForum... an update on Manhattan shopping (12/30/04). Saks Shoe selection sucked.  The ONLY Greens on sale were a pair of chestnut colored loafers subcontracted to an Italian firm.  Sadly, the Greens are now jacked up to $850 from the $695 and $725 prices points enjoyed only a month earlier... Deal of the Day: A 16R H&K shirt marked down to around $75 after the 40% off discount.  I left it on the rack. Barney's I didn't head up stairs since the markdowns weren't that steep to merit temptation.  I ran across a few $495 RRP Kiton shirts--nice, but who are they kidding?  For that price, Kabbaz seems only like a modest step up. The WORST NEWS of the day: Barney's will NO longer be carrying C&J Handgrade.  This makes me really sad since there are already so few places where you can buy quality English shoes in the US.  Actually, does anyone know of a retailer for C&J Handgrade in the city aside from Barney's? BG Just a quick visit.  Nice selection of shirts, knitwear, etc. on the 1st floor.  Not the greatest of discounts, but worth a visit if you have the disposable income to afford BG.  Nice selection of Kiton shoes on sale, and a few stunners from Gravati and Peluso.  My one highlight was that BG decided to stock this JL Naseby this season--too bad they only had it in black. Beretta I've become a huge fan of their RTW for tweedy casual stuff.  The nicer shirts are a bit pricey ($165) for their unremarkable construction, but I'm really digging the heavy weight twills.  30% off wasn't nearly tempting enough for me to pull the trigger. Dunhill & Asprey They both have sales.  Missed closing by 10 minutes. I'd really appreciate an update on both of these retailers.  I actually like the fit on the Jodphurs at Dunhill more than the models sold at Paul Stuart.  And yes, Asprey, stocks two or three models of EG. Brooks Brothers Ironically, the Brooks shell cordovans are actually cheaper than those sold at the Alden store, a block away ($488 vs $500-525 on most of the Alden models).  I might try to pick up a stray pair at the end of the season.  BB is simply too huge for a comprehensive review... GF suits are $698, which is fair, but not great w/o the 15% off coupon.  Quite a bit of the outwear was discounted 40% off.  I didn't stay long enough to check out the Stormguard stuff I spotted in the catalog. Paul Stuart The Chicago shipment came and went.  A few gems for the fortunate souls.  Shirtings sucked, knitwear was marginally better except for the smalls, while a few gems were mixed in with the suits.  I would have been tempted to pick up a beautiful flannel, but resisted since I need a year-around rather than a winter weight. The shoes (does anyone notice a trend?) were great if you love loafers, and pretty competitive with the Bennie's bonanza in very limited sizes and styles.  After having 0 luck with our friend in Atlanta, I managed to snag a pair of shell cordovan loafers that look almost identical to the signature JM Weston model with single instead of double soles for a very attractive price. Thank you Chicago. Whew, end post. EDIT: Bry, my boots are from C&J not Paul Stuart.  The Stuart Grenson's were out of my price range and I prefer the thicker sole on the C&J's for Polo.
Thx for your comprehensive update. How did you learn Barneys will no long carry C&J Handgrade? Whenever a retailer discontinue a line, it usually deeply discount the remaining stock. There may be some real Handgrade bargain coming up. The EG Dover at Saks is now $955. A product of weak dollar. Asprey: Nothing of interest is on sale. Dunhill: 30% off all fall/winter collection. Including Poulsen Skones, a whole-cut and a loafer @ $595 and 2 cap-toes @$450, both original price. The whole-cut and loafer look like they're Grenson Masterpiece while the cap-toes C&J Benchgrade. Hopefully bulk of the tourists will be gone after new year. There will be less competition. It's hard to compete with their almighty Euro and Pound.
post #20 of 105
I wouldn't count on New York being quiet as regards foreign tourists. The papers in London have been playing up the weak dollar and the shopping potential, and now that we're entering the slow leisure travel season, airlines are going to be putting up ridiculous package deals. I know a good half-dozen Londoners planning on making the trip before April.
post #21 of 105
I'm planning a shopping day on the 2nd, but it doesn't sound like the deals are really there (?)
post #22 of 105
Thread Starter 
Anyone gone to Woodbury Common? What's the situation up there?
post #23 of 105
Paul Stuart update: Stopped by on my way to the MOMA. A beautiful pair of double monks in chocolate suede in size 10 & ?? (11? maybe) marked down to $125.
post #24 of 105
An update Bergdorf Goodman: Now it's UP TO 70% off. Most shirts and suits are 50% off, Borrelli shirts $350 marked down to $179, Brioni suits $4000 down to $2000. Kiton shoes $2000 to $995. The best bargains are in pants and leather jackets, Zegna leather jacket with cashmere lining ("made in Italy" main line, not the cheaper "made in China" Zegna Sport line) $1900 to $559. Incotex cords $275 to $89, Zegna & Valentini cords $275 to $79. Btw, Valentini is not as well-known as Incotex but it's quality is every bit as good as Incotex.
post #25 of 105
I also saw some nice-looking Peluso's at Bergdorf's. Antiqued dark brown, Goodyear-welted, channeled sole at $275. If I weren't saving my pennies for the official SF-approved Weymouths, I would have sprung for them. dan
post #26 of 105
I would also add that Davide Cenci on Madison is having an excellent sale--all ties are half price, tons of nice dress shirts are a flat $70, and on the second floor a rack of very nice trousers are $75--down from $475 in some cases. If you're a 40 waist, some incredibly soft cords available. Suits and overcoats also nicely reduced.
post #27 of 105
Quote:
I would also add that Davide Cenci on Madison is having an excellent sale--all ties are half price, tons of nice dress shirts are a flat $70, .
stopped into davide cenci a few times in past week...bought a few shirts at $70..will go back for more and probably a few ties unless i have the willpower to walk home on other than madison avenue since i pass saks, bg, barneys and a lew of other shops on my walk home it's been a costly past few weeks..i'm relieved that all the sales will soon be over..
post #28 of 105
Thread Starter 
Gabys in the East Village: Kiton 100% cashmere suits $1400-1500, Cifonelli suit $750, Cantarelli suits $450. Shirts: Kiton $189, Borrelli $129, Cifonelli $119, Truzzi $119, Zegna $89. Prices may be negotiable, a customer was bargaining with the shopkeeper while I was there. It's final reduction for Bergdorf, sales items are going very fast. Same at Barneys, there're still some bargains, all the sales suits are consolidated on the 5th fl. Zegna 100% cashmere overcoat down to $1100 from $3500. No further mark down at Saks yet. Spot a Luciano Barbera Sartoriale Collezione suit at Filene's down to $599 from $999.
post #29 of 105
I've never hear of this Gaby's place and I can't find it in the superpages.com listings either. Is it called Gaby's or something else officially? Any idea what sizes the Cantarelli suits were in? How about the Cifonelli?
post #30 of 105
Thread Starter 
Quote:
I've never hear of this Gaby's place and I can't find it in the superpages.com listings either.  Is it called Gaby's or something else officially?  Any idea what sizes the Cantarelli suits were in?  How about the Cifonelli?
The suits are mostly in 40-44 range while the shirts are mostly in 15"-17".
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Quik Rundown on Post-Christmas Sales in Manhattan