or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Health & Body › Which martial art is most effective for self defense?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Which martial art is most effective for self defense? - Page 8

post #106 of 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by javyn View Post

Ah jeeze, not this gun kata crap again!

post #107 of 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by javyn View Post

Can't do shit against:

post #108 of 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by javyn View Post

Sorry, I already beat you:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shraka View Post

Ask a question, get an answer.
post #109 of 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCal View Post
Really I mention the story because it is a real world example of a knife being drawn. What I hate about Eidolon is that he speaks in such fucking absolutes. Stating that all knife fights end in hospitals and death or nobody can ever hope to handle a man with a knife is just such complete bollocks.
In the real world there are many intangibles, a fact that is lost on Eidolon and his ilk.

All that said, knives are obviously dangerous and are not something I ever want to fuck with. I hope I don't come across as taking them or violence in general too lightly.

I've had two "knife" incidents. The first of which was in the often discussed bar, where a presumably buzzed guy thought it prudent put his steak knife (he had food at the bar) to my face/neck. To this day I don't know why he decided it, we hadn't talked or had any interaction. Perhaps it was the woman I was talking to - maybe he was frustrated and wanted to talk with her too.

Regardless, before I could really ascertain what I was doing, I had grabbed his knife/wrist hand and gave him a basic wrist throw. I held him in that position on the ground (the knife dropped as I rotated his wrist) and demanded that he "be cool." He apologized and said we were cool. I left the scene immediately so don't know what happened after that.


The second time was a bit more serious where a crackhead/street bum produced a knife from his bum-jacket (don't recall if it was fully canvassed or not) and came towards me. I suspect he was nuts and saw my walking on his street as a threat. Fortunteatly he pulled the knife a good 8-10 feet in front of me, so I saw it, and was able to plan a reaction. A basic disarm slap (learned it from hopkido, but its a common move) where I slap the outside of the hand, and the inside of the wrist - forcing the hand to open while thrusting the object sideways. Worked like a charm. He stood there trying to figure out what happened, as I quickly moved on.

Only once have I seen a knife be used in a truely threating way (not towards me) and my instinct was to create as much space as possible between me and the nutcase with the butterfly knife.



Quote:
P.S. the saying about knife fighting from my kali teacher was "The winner goes to the hospital, the loser goes to the morgue."


I've heard this from from several people. I wonder if it came from the same book as "all fights end up on the ground." I don't mean any disrespect, but it does seem a bit like Escrima swagger to me.
post #110 of 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by globetrotter View Post
although, one problem with arnis is that they have been known to teach special "non-lethal" knife moves that have gotten idiots to try them out in situations that they really shouldn't have.

i am not sure on this point, the guru is teacjing me arnis currently told me that arnis is style that teaches one how to kill. it could just be my that instructor is overly violent, but the limit experience i have with martial art seems to lead me believe him. bt i guess it could depend upon the intstructor and the style taught.
post #111 of 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmulford View Post
Regardless, before I could really ascertain what I was doing, I had grabbed his knife/wrist hand and gave him a basic wrist throw. I held him in that position on the ground (the knife dropped as I rotated his wrist) and demanded that he "be cool." He apologized and said we were cool. I left the scene immediately so don't know what happened after that.


very, very classy, no sarcasm intended.
post #112 of 300
post #113 of 300
I train about 45 hours a week in Muay Thai and BJJ. I've found in mixed competition that the best defensive school (at least, hardest for me to attack well) was Akido. The Akido art originated as a means to disable multiple armed (swords) opponents. It's almost completely defensive, and useful in real world situations where you have multiple harassers.
post #114 of 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by beirut View Post
I train about 45 hours a week in Muay Thai and BJJ. I've found in mixed competition that the best defensive school (at least, hardest for me to attack well) was Akido. The Akido art originated as a means to disable multiple armed (swords) opponents. It's almost completely defensive, and useful in real world situations where you have multiple harassers.

The usefulness of aikido is going to be highly dependant on the school your training in and their specific approach to aikido, which can range to completely self defense, practical application focused to pretty much something more similar to a cooperative dance then a martial art.
post #115 of 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by beirut View Post
I train about 45 hours a week in Muay Thai and BJJ. I've found in mixed competition that the best defensive school (at least, hardest for me to attack well) was Akido. The Akido art originated as a means to disable multiple armed (swords) opponents. It's almost completely defensive, and useful in real world situations where you have multiple harassers.

45 hours a week?? are you training to become an mma fighter or something?
post #116 of 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by West24 View Post
45 hours a week?? are you training to become an mma fighter or something?

That's in addition to working 150 hours a week, because THAT'S WHAT IT TAKES TO BECOME A SUCCESS.
post #117 of 300
Do You Want To Be A Fuckin Fighter?
post #118 of 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gradstudent78 View Post
The usefulness of aikido is going to be highly dependant on the school your training in and their specific approach to aikido, which can range to completely self defense, practical application focused to pretty much something more similar to a cooperative dance then a martial art.

+1000!
post #119 of 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gradstudent78 View Post
The usefulness of aikido is going to be highly dependant on the school your training in and their specific approach to aikido, which can range to completely self defense, practical application focused to pretty much something more similar to a cooperative dance then a martial art.

Isn't this pretty much true of any martial art?
post #120 of 300
I'm kind of surprised no has yet mentioned pencak silat.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Health & Body
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Health & Body › Which martial art is most effective for self defense?