or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › Quoddy Boat Shoes MEGATHREAK
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Quoddy Boat Shoes MEGATHREAK - Page 138

post #2056 of 2062
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clay J View Post

Looks like the Dawson is all chromepak, and the other two are combinations of chromepak sole and chromexcel upper.

Right, other than that, can't really tell - especially between Grizzly and Lodge. Descriptions don't have much information.
post #2057 of 2062

Any of you Grizzly Boot owners know how resistant to water the boots are?  

 

I know they have a bellowed tongue but I'm looking for something I can wear in the winter particularly when it snows.  My Bluchers take on water and transfer it inside the shoe whenever they get wet so I'm a little skeptical.  This would be a disaster for an outdoor boot.  

 

I've been told using one of Quoddy's more oily leathers AND using their Organic Waterproofer can create a moisture resistant shoe but I wanted to make sure someone's actually done it.

 

Thanks!

post #2058 of 2062
Yeah I'd also love to hear reviews from any Grizzly owners - looking to get a black CXL pair lined in sheepskin to get through this upcoming Chicago winter
post #2059 of 2062
Quote:
Originally Posted by Itsuo View Post
 

Any of you Grizzly Boot owners know how resistant to water the boots are?

 

I know they have a bellowed tongue but I'm looking for something I can wear in the winter particularly when it snows.  My Bluchers take on water and transfer it inside the shoe whenever they get wet so I'm a little skeptical.  This would be a disaster for an outdoor boot.

 

I've been told using one of Quoddy's more oily leathers AND using their Organic Waterproofer can create a moisture resistant shoe but I wanted to make sure someone's actually done it.

 

Thanks!

If you waterproof it like that, (i think) you can handle powdery snow or light drizzle. However, if you will step in puddles and such, you'll get seepage in the seams, no matter what. Anytime the water level is above the seams.  If you want a totally waterproof boot, get some bean duck boots.

post #2060 of 2062
Quote:
Originally Posted by broken_oracle View Post

Yeah I'd also love to hear reviews from any Grizzly owners - looking to get a black CXL pair lined in sheepskin to get through this upcoming Chicago winter

My thoughts exactly! 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolarrow View Post
 

If you waterproof it like that, (i think) you can handle powdery snow or light drizzle. However, if you will step in puddles and such, you'll get seepage in the seams, no matter what. Anytime the water level is above the seams.  If you want a totally waterproof boot, get some bean duck boots.

@coolarrow  Do you have a pair?  Either way, I suspect you're right.  

 

I was at a trunk show and the Quoddy rep said the boots would hold against snow/puddles but I've also just heard from their customer service they probably wouldn't.  I take your point on the bean-boot.  I'm just desperately trying not to buy a "disposable" boot.  I suppose I'll hold out for now, but Quoddy really needs to get something with at least a little bit of water protection!

 

A gore-tex layer maybe?

post #2061 of 2062

@Itsuo I sold mine a while ago. I never used them as foul weather boots, though.  I think it's just the nature of moc construction.  There is a single stitch that holds the upper and sold together, as i understand it.  You have a variety of welt construction methods that will be more robust to handling snow and water. Even then, they're not water proof. You have a lot of testimonials here about guys baking in snow seal to their goodyear welted boots esp. at the welt with a heat gun.  That supposedly makes it water proof.

 

However, the grizzly boots are damn cool looking.

post #2062 of 2062

Anyone have worn pictures of Navy blue boat mocs?

I recently got a pair of navy boat mocs but debating if I should exchange for brown.

I don't have any navy shoes so I am out of my comfort zone. I primarily have brown shoes (wolverine 1k miles in brown, iron rangers in amber, quoddy bluchers in burnt toast suede)

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Streetwear and Denim
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › Quoddy Boat Shoes MEGATHREAK