Recent Images In This Thread
- brandBurlingtontagged by Cleav, 1/17/16
- topicClothingtagged by SYSTEM, 7/18/11
- topicCrockett Jonestagged by Cleav, 1/17/16
- categoryDress Pantstagged by SYSTEM, 7/18/11
- categoryFootweartagged by SYSTEM, 7/18/11
- categoryPants Shortstagged by SYSTEM, 7/18/11
- topicShoestagged by Cleav, 2/21/15
- topicShoes Explainedtagged by Cleav, 2/21/15
- categorySockstagged by LA Guy, 10/23/13
- categorySuitstagged by SYSTEM, 7/18/11More
- categoryTiestagged by SYSTEM, 7/18/11
Related Forum Threads
- HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part IV (starting May 2014) Last post on Today at 9:00 pm in Classic Menswear
- High Grade Cleanout....Suits, SCs, Shoes, Ties..DROPS and ADDS!!!! Last post on 2/20/11 at 3:30am in FS: Men's Clothing (Archive)
- Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear) Last post on Today at 7:31 pm in Classic Menswear
- NEW MEMBER INQUIRIES & QUICK QUESTIONS- CLASSIC MENSWEAR: WK OF AUG 24, 2015 Last post on 8/29/15 at 4:46pm in Classic Menswear
- NEW MEMBER INQUIRIES & QUICK QUESTIONS- CLASSIC MENSWEAR: WK OF JUL 20, 2015 Last post on 7/28/15 at 1:12pm in Classic Menswear
Allen Edmonds: Sizing Guide
Last edited: 4/29/16
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: 379X LastLast edited: 4/4/16
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: Hampton LastLast edited: 3/24/16
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: Leydon LastLast edited: 3/24/16
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: Van LastLast edited: 3/24/16
- Allen Edmonds
- The Armoury
- Craftsman Clothing
- David Fin
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- Falcon Garments
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- H. Stockton
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- The Hanger Project
- H.N. White
- John Elliott
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- M Classic 101
- Meermin Mallorca
- MILER Menswear
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- Ring Jacket
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Uncle Otis
- Vanda Fine Clothing
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Yellow Hook Necktie
Rock Your Socks- show your sock, shoe & pant combos - Page 538post #8056 of 2326510/15/12 at 7:48pmpost #8057 of 2326510/15/12 at 8:28pmQuote:Originally Posted by mimo
Hey, it's the argylls and Alden dude...thanks for the tip on the Marciolani and Bresciani socks btw. I did get a couple of pairs from your recommended site.
Very high standards here from Justin, Stitch, Patek, Namor et al...and now MacArthur-Marciolani-Alden man back too; I'm feeling I might have to add at least one new pair of shoes very soon...
What recommended site?post #8058 of 2326510/15/12 at 9:57pmpost #8059 of 2326510/16/12 at 5:42ampost #8060 of 2326510/16/12 at 5:52am
Mimo's over-the-calf sock guide: all of these places sell proper long socks, all unless otherwise mentioned, sell only socks that are 100% wool or 100% cotton, and all of them deliver internationally.
That's the site recommended to me by Mr MacArthur, when I enquired about over the calf argyll socks. It's not Bresciani's site; just a US retailer who stock Bresciani, Marciolani and some other bits and pieces. Personally I don't really like socks (or anything else) with artificial fibre content. All Marciolani's are mixed fibres, apart from their more expensive pure cashmere ones. But the designs are great. Bresciani have a lot more pure cotton choices, though not so many argyll patterns.
Average around $35. Marciolani's socks are a good shape and grip close above the calf. Bresciani I found fit just a touch shorter, especially if like me you have fairly big calves, so I will size up next time.
Run by Kemal, a SF member, it will give an automatic discount if you are logged in to SF at the time you visit. I'm waiting for a first order from these. A really nice range of solid colours, in heavier, light and sheer weights. There are some cool patterns in some of the heavier winter socks too. Can't give an opinion until I have some, but they're very cheap and the customer service is great. Average around $10 (yes exactly!).
As well as some expensive English hunting socks that I've not tried, this site (meaning: "my red socks") sell two brands: Gammarelli make wool or cotton fil d'Ecosse in black, red or purple - colours appropriate to priests, cardinals and bishops respectively, as they are suppliers to the Vatican. They make white ones for the Pope that are only available as a special order! The other brand is Mazarin, who offer a much wider range of solid colours, in fil d'Ecosse.
Average $15-20 depending where you are. I've tried the merino wool from Gammarelli, the fit is nice and the feeling of luxury is really something for the money. I'm not sure how hard-wearing they will be in the end, but for "special" socks, they're a bargain. I have several pairs of the Mazarin fil d'Ecosse, which are light and wearable and seem well made. I have to mention that receiving a package from these people certainly feels like a special occasion. They have some charming extra details in their packaging that will make you smile.
These only offer three colours of OTC socks at the moment: black, anthracite and raspberry. The raspberry will change to another "trendy" colour in the new year. Their socks are cotton fil d'Ecosse. They sell a variety of other undergarments too, but I've not tried.
Order three pairs or more and it works out at $12 a pair. These socks are absolutely brilliant. In terms of quality, they are the best fitting, and I would say the most strongly made. They're heavier than Mazarin's, but being cotton, not thick. They NEVER fall down! In terms of practicality, if you just want conservative OTCs for suit wear in black or charcoal, or if (like me) you love that raspberry colour, then I would recommend these as my top pick. Great quality, and very cheap. Customer service is also very good: I had some addressing confusion that meant mine were probably sent to the wrong place. No quibbles at all from them, even though it was probably my fault: replacements sent to me immediately at no charge.
I should also mention www.sockalia.be as one of the members suggested earlier. I've not tried them as at the time I was looking for patterned OTCs in natural fibres only, which they don't have. But they do have some all-natural solids, including a bargain black silk OTC dress sock on offer. Beyond that. they've plenty of fun patterns in mixed fibres if that's your thing.
The glaring omission here is Pantherella. I can't find a re-seller anywhere that has the magic combination of all-natural AND over-the-calf. Each is available in a few places, but both together I just can't find. As the link shows, their own e-commerce site is still "coming". If anyone can find me Pantharella OTCs in their lovely pattenrs, in all wool or cotton, I will be very grateful!post #8061 of 2326510/16/12 at 5:56ampost #8062 of 2326510/16/12 at 6:22ampost #8063 of 2326510/16/12 at 6:25ampost #8064 of 2326510/16/12 at 6:30amSecond or third wearing of a new pair of EG. Socks are nothing special (BB Cashmere) but this is the first time I have worn cuffed pants in years. Just picked up a couple pairs from BB and had them cuffed. Trying to decide if I like them or not as I have a couple Borrelli suits coming in and I need to figure out if I want them cuffed.
Thoughts?post #8065 of 2326510/16/12 at 7:01ampost #8066 of 2326510/16/12 at 7:12ampost #8067 of 2326510/16/12 at 7:19ampost #8068 of 2326510/16/12 at 7:36ampost #8069 of 2326510/16/12 at 7:54ampost #8070 of 2326510/16/12 at 7:57am
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: 379X Last
- › Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here... 3 minutes ago
- › Nicholas Templeman: A Bespoke Shoemaker 5 minutes ago
- › Edward Green Appreciation: Pictures, Info, and Where to Buy 12 minutes ago
- › Saint Laurent Paris - Official Thread. 16 minutes ago
- › The Look goes on... 22 minutes ago
- › Meermin Mallorca Shoes 48 minutes ago
- › Ongoing Bespoke Projects 52 minutes ago
- › **The Official Shoe Care Thread: Tutorials, Photos, etc.** 54 minutes ago
- › Official Sales Alert thread 55 minutes ago
- › Shirt for beachwear 56 minutes ago
- › Allen Edmonds Lasalle Dress Shoes by Lobster33
- › Clark Street Casual Shoes by Lobster33
- › Sage de Cret Green Jacquard Wool Linen Blazer by robxznyc
- › Gerani Corduroy Slim Straight Pants Yellow by robxznyc
- › Luigi Bianchi Rough Heavy Cotton Twill Blazer Yellow by robxznyc
- › Sage de Cret Patchwork Wool Bomber Jacket by robxznyc
- › WLG by Giorgio Brato Brown Nubuck Bomber Leather Jacket by robxznyc
- › Alden Snuff Suede Flex-Welt Chukka Boot by mediahound
- › Alden Indy Boot 405 by Beancounter Tom
- › Alden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Chukka by mediahound
- › In the Details: Lucian Föhr
- › A Sunday Drive: Styleforum Spring GMTOs
- › Should I dryclean my jeans, and if not, how...
- › The 5 Most-Hyped Handbags of the Moment
- › Eight Vignettes in Search of a (Wedding) Theme
- › The Kent Wang Cufflink Giveaway
- › Where to Buy a Last-Minute Wedding Suit for...
- › What to Wear: The Black Tie Wedding
- › What to Wear: The Casual Summer Wedding
- › What to Wear to (Almost) Any Wedding