Recent Images In This Thread
- topicClothingtagged by SYSTEM, 7/18/11
- categoryDress Pantstagged by SYSTEM, 7/18/11
- categoryFootweartagged by SYSTEM, 7/18/11
- categoryPants Shortstagged by SYSTEM, 7/18/11
- topicShoestagged by Cleav, 2/21/15
- topicShoes Explainedtagged by Cleav, 2/21/15
- categorySockstagged by LA Guy, 10/23/13
- categorySuitstagged by SYSTEM, 7/18/11
- categoryTiestagged by SYSTEM, 7/18/11
Related Forum Threads
- High Grade Cleanout....Suits, SCs, Shoes, Ties..DROPS and ADDS!!!! Last post on 2/20/11 at 3:30am in FS: Men's Clothing (Archive)
- Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear) Last post on Today at 8:03 am in Classic Menswear
- The Grad Lounge Last post on 3/15/15 at 11:12am in Classic Menswear
- HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part IV (starting May 2014) Last post on Today at 7:50 am in Classic Menswear
- The Best of B&S - Someone should buy this! Last post on Yesterday at 5:35 pm in Classic Menswear
What Should I Ask My Groomsmen to Wear?
Last edited: 9/2/13
- How Should I Start My Business Wardrobe?Last edited: 5/16/13
- Choosing Men's Designer SuitsLast edited: 11/8/13
- What Kind of Suit Should I Buy?Last edited: 6/4/12
- What Should I Wear To A Job Interview?Last edited: 7/25/13
- Andrew Lock
- The Armoury
- Bespoke England
- Blacksmith Labs
- Blue Owl
- Brooklyn Clothing Co
- Carson Street Clothiers
- Conrad Wu
- David Fin
- David Reeves Bespoke
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Elite Suits
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- Foster & Son
- Franco Ercole Bespoke
- Geil Mode
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- Gordon Yao, Hong Kong
- The Hanger Project
- Henry Carter Neckwear
- Howard Yount
- John Elliott + Co
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- M Classic 101
- Meermin Mallorca
- Need Supply Co.
- Neo Nouveau
- No Man Walks Alone
- Oak Room
- Oscar Hunt
- Percy Ivor
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Taylor Stitch
- Temple of jawnz
- Thurston Bros.
- Uncle Otis
- Vastrm Fashion
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Wrong Weather
- Yellow Hook Necktie
Rock Your Socks- show your sock, shoe & pant combos - Page 538post #8056 of 2172910/15/12 at 7:48pm
Styleforum Top Pickspost #8057 of 2172910/15/12 at 8:28pmQuote:Originally Posted by mimo
Hey, it's the argylls and Alden dude...thanks for the tip on the Marciolani and Bresciani socks btw. I did get a couple of pairs from your recommended site.
Very high standards here from Justin, Stitch, Patek, Namor et al...and now MacArthur-Marciolani-Alden man back too; I'm feeling I might have to add at least one new pair of shoes very soon...
What recommended site?post #8058 of 2172910/15/12 at 9:57pmpost #8059 of 2172910/16/12 at 5:42ampost #8060 of 2172910/16/12 at 5:52am
Mimo's over-the-calf sock guide: all of these places sell proper long socks, all unless otherwise mentioned, sell only socks that are 100% wool or 100% cotton, and all of them deliver internationally.
That's the site recommended to me by Mr MacArthur, when I enquired about over the calf argyll socks. It's not Bresciani's site; just a US retailer who stock Bresciani, Marciolani and some other bits and pieces. Personally I don't really like socks (or anything else) with artificial fibre content. All Marciolani's are mixed fibres, apart from their more expensive pure cashmere ones. But the designs are great. Bresciani have a lot more pure cotton choices, though not so many argyll patterns.
Average around $35. Marciolani's socks are a good shape and grip close above the calf. Bresciani I found fit just a touch shorter, especially if like me you have fairly big calves, so I will size up next time.
Run by Kemal, a SF member, it will give an automatic discount if you are logged in to SF at the time you visit. I'm waiting for a first order from these. A really nice range of solid colours, in heavier, light and sheer weights. There are some cool patterns in some of the heavier winter socks too. Can't give an opinion until I have some, but they're very cheap and the customer service is great. Average around $10 (yes exactly!).
As well as some expensive English hunting socks that I've not tried, this site (meaning: "my red socks") sell two brands: Gammarelli make wool or cotton fil d'Ecosse in black, red or purple - colours appropriate to priests, cardinals and bishops respectively, as they are suppliers to the Vatican. They make white ones for the Pope that are only available as a special order! The other brand is Mazarin, who offer a much wider range of solid colours, in fil d'Ecosse.
Average $15-20 depending where you are. I've tried the merino wool from Gammarelli, the fit is nice and the feeling of luxury is really something for the money. I'm not sure how hard-wearing they will be in the end, but for "special" socks, they're a bargain. I have several pairs of the Mazarin fil d'Ecosse, which are light and wearable and seem well made. I have to mention that receiving a package from these people certainly feels like a special occasion. They have some charming extra details in their packaging that will make you smile.
These only offer three colours of OTC socks at the moment: black, anthracite and raspberry. The raspberry will change to another "trendy" colour in the new year. Their socks are cotton fil d'Ecosse. They sell a variety of other undergarments too, but I've not tried.
Order three pairs or more and it works out at $12 a pair. These socks are absolutely brilliant. In terms of quality, they are the best fitting, and I would say the most strongly made. They're heavier than Mazarin's, but being cotton, not thick. They NEVER fall down! In terms of practicality, if you just want conservative OTCs for suit wear in black or charcoal, or if (like me) you love that raspberry colour, then I would recommend these as my top pick. Great quality, and very cheap. Customer service is also very good: I had some addressing confusion that meant mine were probably sent to the wrong place. No quibbles at all from them, even though it was probably my fault: replacements sent to me immediately at no charge.
I should also mention www.sockalia.be as one of the members suggested earlier. I've not tried them as at the time I was looking for patterned OTCs in natural fibres only, which they don't have. But they do have some all-natural solids, including a bargain black silk OTC dress sock on offer. Beyond that. they've plenty of fun patterns in mixed fibres if that's your thing.
The glaring omission here is Pantherella. I can't find a re-seller anywhere that has the magic combination of all-natural AND over-the-calf. Each is available in a few places, but both together I just can't find. As the link shows, their own e-commerce site is still "coming". If anyone can find me Pantharella OTCs in their lovely pattenrs, in all wool or cotton, I will be very grateful!post #8061 of 2172910/16/12 at 5:56ampost #8062 of 2172910/16/12 at 6:22ampost #8063 of 2172910/16/12 at 6:25ampost #8064 of 2172910/16/12 at 6:30amSecond or third wearing of a new pair of EG. Socks are nothing special (BB Cashmere) but this is the first time I have worn cuffed pants in years. Just picked up a couple pairs from BB and had them cuffed. Trying to decide if I like them or not as I have a couple Borrelli suits coming in and I need to figure out if I want them cuffed.
Thoughts?post #8065 of 2172910/16/12 at 7:01ampost #8066 of 2172910/16/12 at 7:12ampost #8067 of 2172910/16/12 at 7:19ampost #8068 of 2172910/16/12 at 7:36ampost #8069 of 2172910/16/12 at 7:54am
- Rock Your Socks- show your sock, shoe & pant combos
Styleforum Top Picks
- How Should I Start My Business Wardrobe?
- › Cars We Drive! 25 seconds ago
- › Three Streetwear Brands You Should Know - March 26, 2015 1 minute ago
- › Enzo Bonafe Handmade Shoes. 2 minutes ago
- › The new official TOJ thread - updates, complaints, etc... 2 minutes ago
- › ***The official Alden thread *** 2 minutes ago
- › The official thrift/discount store bragging thread 3 minutes ago
- › Carmina Shoes : Reviews, Sizing, Photos and More 3 minutes ago
- › Epaulet shop - Official Affiliate thread 4 minutes ago
- › Shoe Damage Report & Shoe P0rn Central - Part II 4 minutes ago
- › The What Are You Wearing Today (WAYWT) Discussion Thread, Part II 5 minutes ago
- › Tom Ford FT5237 Eyeglasses Color 098 by Mrvaerk
- › Irish Setter Men's 838 Wingshooter 6" Waterproof Lace-up... by seanhorween
- › Borsa Long sleeve shirt by techstyles
- › Neil Barrett - LEATHER TROUSERS by newway
- › Mandarina Duck City Messenger by josh89
- › Quoddy True Penny Loafer by ppith
- › Timberland Men's Authentics 3-Eye Classic Lug Boat Shoe by Basil Ecurie
- › Aero Leather Cafe' Racer by CafeRacer99
- › Alden Ravello Shell Long Wing Blucher by ppith
- › Sterlingwear Navigator Peacoat by ppith
- › The ten least expensive cars to insure in the US
- › The Styleforum Brief: March 2015
- › Going Places: A Brief Trip to Naples
- › One Sneaker to Rule Them All: The Rise of the...
- › People Who Make Our Lives Better: Jack...
- › CT Shirts Presents: How to Choose the Best...
- › Fok's Pick: Quilted Vests
- › A Suit Well-Traveled: Clark Gable’s...
- › Six questions to ask when vetting your...
- › The truth about how to be great at content...