Recent Images In This Thread
- brandBurlingtontagged by Cleav, 1/17/16
- topicClothingtagged by SYSTEM, 7/18/11
- topicCrockett Jonestagged by Cleav, 1/17/16
- categoryDress Pantstagged by SYSTEM, 7/18/11
- categoryFootweartagged by SYSTEM, 7/18/11
- categoryPants Shortstagged by SYSTEM, 7/18/11
- topicShoestagged by Cleav, 2/21/15
- topicShoes Explainedtagged by Cleav, 2/21/15
- categorySockstagged by LA Guy, 10/23/13
- categorySuitstagged by SYSTEM, 7/18/11More
- categoryTiestagged by SYSTEM, 7/18/11
Related Forum Threads
- HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part IV (starting May 2014) Last post on Today at 5:13 am in Classic Menswear
- High Grade Cleanout....Suits, SCs, Shoes, Ties..DROPS and ADDS!!!! Last post on 2/20/11 at 3:30am in FS: Men's Clothing (Archive)
- Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear) Last post on Yesterday at 1:52 am in Classic Menswear
- NEW MEMBER INQUIRIES & QUICK QUESTIONS- CLASSIC MENSWEAR: WK OF AUG 24, 2015 Last post on 8/29/15 at 4:46pm in Classic Menswear
- NEW MEMBER INQUIRIES & QUICK QUESTIONS- CLASSIC MENSWEAR: WK OF JUL 20, 2015 Last post on 7/28/15 at 1:12pm in Classic Menswear
The Definitive FAQ and/or Wiki on Alden Footwear
Last edited: 2/1/16
- Primer: Things you should have known about shoes and shoe care but...Last edited: 2/1/16
- A primer on shoe creams conditioners, and waxesLast edited: 2/1/16
- Primer: Refinishing a pair of Crockett & Jones shoes using...Last edited: 2/1/16
- What is bullhide, and why is it attractive/desirable? What are its...Last edited: 2/1/16
- The Armoury
- Buttons 'n' Threads
- David Fin
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- Falcon Garments
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- The Hanger Project
- H.N. White
- John Elliott
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- M Classic 101
- Meermin Mallorca
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- Oak Room
- Portland Dry Goods
- Probus NYC
- Proper Cloth
- Ring Jacket
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Uncle Otis
- Vanda Fine Clothing
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Yellow Hook Necktie
Rock Your Socks- show your sock, shoe & pant combos - Page 1103post #16531 of 2287712/18/13 at 8:06am
Styleforum Top Pickspost #16532 of 2287712/18/13 at 8:10ampost #16533 of 2287712/18/13 at 8:12ampost #16534 of 2287712/18/13 at 8:15am
Ah,....the ones I wept over at auction just the other day...must have blanked out the pain...Nice monks, Brostein.
Jungleroller: I get a bit bored of looking at AE sometimes, especially when it's SO unmistakably AE in shape and style. But I really like the colour tone and the longwing is definitely one of the best styles for that last. Really nice.
Euro - that was indeed helpful. Will roll the dice on a 206 when the money tree is back in fruit.post #16535 of 2287712/18/13 at 8:23amwow everybody looks good, stitches your choice of colors and signature GGs
Mimo and jungle you're making me want to try AE -- i had a VERY bad fit experience long time ago and have never gone back, but both of yours look good.
Euro I like the Sydney combo and not too much brown in my view.
AND especially liking the patina on Cleav's Cliffords
CJ Pembroke, on 325 and Dainite
Ted Baker polka dot socks
polo/corneliani flannels, my onepantpost #16536 of 2287712/18/13 at 8:32amQuote:
Jungleroller: I get a bit bored of looking at AE sometimes, especially when it's SO unmistakably AE in shape and style. But I really like the colour tone and the longwing is definitely one of the best styles for that last. Really nice.I completely hear ya. These are my latest and probably last AE shoes. While I like them I've opened my eyes to other makers as well. I do love this Merlot Calf though. In some lights its purple, indoors it almost looks black and in direct sun it looks cherry.post #16537 of 2287712/18/13 at 8:36ampost #16538 of 2287712/18/13 at 8:40am
I found AE's printout guide to sizing very helpful: as I'm very far from any proper shoe shop, have weird feet, and had never bought shoes in US sizes before, I consider that a real bonus. I now have six pairs. Just one note: I find all of them just a little shallow at the top of the instep. Nothing uncomfortable, just a wider lace gap than others. That's something the measuring chart can't help with!
They're not the best shoes I have, to be honest (and I'm a bottom feeder compared to you fellows) either in leather or construction: at the same price range, I find the English makers are a bit better: better soles, thicker more natural leather, and nicer last shapes. BUT for comfortable, decent, lightweight shoes, I really like them. Also, their variety of width fittings gives- a fantastic range of ready-in-stock sizes, which literally nobody else matches. That's the advantage of scale. As is the "Shoebank" - a reveation, from which several pairs of mine were born. The shell NSTs above - my only "heavier" pair of AEs, were $249. Some of the others as little as $99 - and not all seconds either, some just end of line. At that price, there's no competition. I wouldn't pay full price for AE when it's more expensive than Loake or Barker, most Cheaneys, or Church's, AS, C&J in a sale. But when you get a deal (and they seem to have offers constantly), it's well worth taking some.
So, yeah, do it.post #16539 of 2287712/18/13 at 8:41ampost #16540 of 2287712/18/13 at 9:27ampost #16541 of 2287712/18/13 at 9:44am
I have a walnut calf strand of theirs and I like it very much. They now have the strand in the Merlot color/calf that I have in my MacNeil. I believe AE in general is hit/miss with quality. Some of their lower line shoes I've had great experience with and their higher end cordovan or independence collection I've had issues. Their customer service is top notch in the case of any issues though. edit: They use single JR soles. My first cordovan from them was a MTO and I went with their independence sole because I liked the look of it.
Their websit says JR soles on their cordovan strands - http://www.allenedmonds.com/aeonline/producti_SF1645_1_40000000001_-1
Edited by jungleroller - 12/18/13 at 10:07ampost #16542 of 2287712/18/13 at 9:47ampost #16543 of 2287712/18/13 at 10:05amQuote:
I actually bought my strand in 12 D (online) because I thought that was the proper fit based on my park aves. Since then, I've been properly fitted and gone a step down in all my other AE's to 11.5D. I could see the need to go a hair wider on those though, especially in shell. Do you have an AE in your area to try them on? Even if you don't, they offer free return shipping on exchanges as long as you wear them on carpet to confirm fitment.post #16544 of 2287712/18/13 at 10:13ampost #16545 of 2287712/18/13 at 10:28am
- Rock Your Socks- show your sock, shoe & pant combos
- Primer: Things you should have known about shoes and shoe care but...
- › Buying and Selling on eBay: Tips, Tricks, Problems & Questions 57 seconds ago
- › Leather Jackets: Post Pictures of the Best You've Seen/Owned? 1 minute ago
- › things that are making you happy 3 minutes ago
- › Poor man's watch thread 4 minutes ago
- › NBA 2015-2016 Season Thread 4 minutes ago
- › Cool furniture, design objects and desiderata 4 minutes ago
- › The official thrift/discount store bragging thread - Part II... 5 minutes ago
- › End of Bills Khakis 5 minutes ago
- › What Movies Are You Watching Lately 5 minutes ago
- › Red Wing Iron Ranger Boots (BRAND New) LUG SOLE! 5 minutes ago
- › Alden Snuff Suede Flex-Welt Chukka Boot by mediahound
- › Alden Indy Boot 405 by Beancounter Tom
- › Alden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Chukka by mediahound
- › Berlin & Son - Heritage Oxford by Mike87
- › Carmina for Epaulet Grey Suede Steinbeck Boot by Patek
- › Ps Paul Smith Laced shoes by yucaseca
- › Irish Setter Men's 838 Wingshooter 6" Waterproof Lace-up... by seanhorween
- › Borsa Long sleeve shirt by techstyles
- › Neil Barrett - LEATHER TROUSERS by newway
- › Mandarina Duck City Messenger by josh89
- › Why am I not getting the mirror shine I want...
- › How do I polish my shoes but preserve the...
- › What Kind of Wedding Tie Should I Buy?
- › Price list for Vass shoes and boots for 2016
- › Paris: Men's Fashion Week, Part 1
- › Advice on care and maintenance of Alden...
- › Help, the back of the inside of my shoes are...
- › Getting rid of a black spot on Wolverine boots
- › Removing a scratch from a pair of shoes
- › How to fix a scratch in Allen Edmond Park...