Recent Images In This Thread
- topicClothingtagged by SYSTEM, 7/18/11
- categoryDress Pantstagged by SYSTEM, 7/18/11
- categoryFootweartagged by SYSTEM, 7/18/11
- categoryPants Shortstagged by SYSTEM, 7/18/11
- topicShoestagged by Cleav, 2/21/15
- topicShoes Explainedtagged by Cleav, 2/21/15
- categorySockstagged by LA Guy, 10/23/13
- categorySuitstagged by SYSTEM, 7/18/11
- categoryTiestagged by SYSTEM, 7/18/11
Related Forum Threads
- High Grade Cleanout....Suits, SCs, Shoes, Ties..DROPS and ADDS!!!! Last post on 2/20/11 at 3:30am in FS: Men's Clothing (Archive)
- Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear) Last post on Today at 9:05 am in Classic Menswear
- NEW MEMBER INQUIRIES & QUICK QUESTIONS- CLASSIC MENSWEAR: WK OF JUL 20, 2015 Last post on Today at 1:12 pm in Classic Menswear
- NEW MEMBER INQUIRIES & QUICK QUESTIONS- CLASSIC MENSWEAR: WK OF JUL 6, 2015 Last post on 7/12/15 at 5:06pm in Classic Menswear
- NEW MEMBER INQUIRIES & QUICK QUESTIONS- CLASSIC MENSWEAR: WK OF APR 20, 2015 Last post on 4/26/15 at 5:41pm in Classic Menswear
The Styleforum Brief: July, 2015
Last edited: 7/12/15
- Carmina Shoes Presents: Five Shoes for Five WeddingsLast edited: 7/12/15
- Tokyo Diaries, Day 1: It Begins! Ring Jacket, Petrosolaum, and Jun...Last edited: 6/22/15
- What Should I Ask My Groomsmen to Wear?Last edited: 9/2/13
- How Should I Start My Business Wardrobe?Last edited: 5/16/13
- Andrew Lock
- The Armoury
- Buttons 'n' Threads
- David Fin
- David Reeves Bespoke
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- Franco Ercole Bespoke
- Geil Mode
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- Gordon Yao, Hong Kong
- The Hanger Project
- Henry Carter Neckwear
- Howard Yount
- John Elliott + Co
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- M Classic 101
- Meermin Mallorca
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- Oak Room
- Oscar Hunt
- Paul Evans
- Percy Ivor
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Temple of jawnz
- Thurston Bros.
- Uncle Otis
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Wolf vs. Goat
- Wrong Weather
- Yellow Hook Necktie
- Zampa Di Gallina
Rock Your Socks- show your sock, shoe & pant combos - Page 1103post #16531 of 2210412/18/13 at 8:06am
Styleforum Top Pickspost #16532 of 2210412/18/13 at 8:10ampost #16533 of 2210412/18/13 at 8:12ampost #16534 of 2210412/18/13 at 8:15am
Ah,....the ones I wept over at auction just the other day...must have blanked out the pain...Nice monks, Brostein.
Jungleroller: I get a bit bored of looking at AE sometimes, especially when it's SO unmistakably AE in shape and style. But I really like the colour tone and the longwing is definitely one of the best styles for that last. Really nice.
Euro - that was indeed helpful. Will roll the dice on a 206 when the money tree is back in fruit.post #16535 of 2210412/18/13 at 8:23amwow everybody looks good, stitches your choice of colors and signature GGs
Mimo and jungle you're making me want to try AE -- i had a VERY bad fit experience long time ago and have never gone back, but both of yours look good.
Euro I like the Sydney combo and not too much brown in my view.
AND especially liking the patina on Cleav's Cliffords
CJ Pembroke, on 325 and Dainite
Ted Baker polka dot socks
polo/corneliani flannels, my onepantpost #16536 of 2210412/18/13 at 8:32amQuote:
Jungleroller: I get a bit bored of looking at AE sometimes, especially when it's SO unmistakably AE in shape and style. But I really like the colour tone and the longwing is definitely one of the best styles for that last. Really nice.I completely hear ya. These are my latest and probably last AE shoes. While I like them I've opened my eyes to other makers as well. I do love this Merlot Calf though. In some lights its purple, indoors it almost looks black and in direct sun it looks cherry.post #16537 of 2210412/18/13 at 8:36ampost #16538 of 2210412/18/13 at 8:40am
I found AE's printout guide to sizing very helpful: as I'm very far from any proper shoe shop, have weird feet, and had never bought shoes in US sizes before, I consider that a real bonus. I now have six pairs. Just one note: I find all of them just a little shallow at the top of the instep. Nothing uncomfortable, just a wider lace gap than others. That's something the measuring chart can't help with!
They're not the best shoes I have, to be honest (and I'm a bottom feeder compared to you fellows) either in leather or construction: at the same price range, I find the English makers are a bit better: better soles, thicker more natural leather, and nicer last shapes. BUT for comfortable, decent, lightweight shoes, I really like them. Also, their variety of width fittings gives- a fantastic range of ready-in-stock sizes, which literally nobody else matches. That's the advantage of scale. As is the "Shoebank" - a reveation, from which several pairs of mine were born. The shell NSTs above - my only "heavier" pair of AEs, were $249. Some of the others as little as $99 - and not all seconds either, some just end of line. At that price, there's no competition. I wouldn't pay full price for AE when it's more expensive than Loake or Barker, most Cheaneys, or Church's, AS, C&J in a sale. But when you get a deal (and they seem to have offers constantly), it's well worth taking some.
So, yeah, do it.post #16539 of 2210412/18/13 at 8:41ampost #16540 of 2210412/18/13 at 9:27ampost #16541 of 2210412/18/13 at 9:44am
I have a walnut calf strand of theirs and I like it very much. They now have the strand in the Merlot color/calf that I have in my MacNeil. I believe AE in general is hit/miss with quality. Some of their lower line shoes I've had great experience with and their higher end cordovan or independence collection I've had issues. Their customer service is top notch in the case of any issues though. edit: They use single JR soles. My first cordovan from them was a MTO and I went with their independence sole because I liked the look of it.
Their websit says JR soles on their cordovan strands - http://www.allenedmonds.com/aeonline/producti_SF1645_1_40000000001_-1
Edited by jungleroller - 12/18/13 at 10:07ampost #16542 of 2210412/18/13 at 9:47ampost #16543 of 2210412/18/13 at 10:05amQuote:
I actually bought my strand in 12 D (online) because I thought that was the proper fit based on my park aves. Since then, I've been properly fitted and gone a step down in all my other AE's to 11.5D. I could see the need to go a hair wider on those though, especially in shell. Do you have an AE in your area to try them on? Even if you don't, they offer free return shipping on exchanges as long as you wear them on carpet to confirm fitment.post #16544 of 2210412/18/13 at 10:13ampost #16545 of 2210412/18/13 at 10:28am
- Rock Your Socks- show your sock, shoe & pant combos
Styleforum Top Picks
- Carmina Shoes Presents: Five Shoes for Five Weddings
- › Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 1 minute ago
- › Patrik Ervell x Carson Street Clothiers Charcoal/Navy Leather... 9 minutes ago
- › The What Are You Wearing Today (WAYWT) Discussion Thread, Part II 11 minutes ago
- › ***Story Et Fall Thread*** 16 minutes ago
- › Epaulet shop - Official Affiliate thread 16 minutes ago
- › Eidos Napoli 18 minutes ago
- › FRIDAY CHALLENGE (JULY 31): FINE ART FRIDAY 18 minutes ago
- › The Watch Appreciation Thread 20 minutes ago
- › An Interview with B&Tailor 22 minutes ago
- › WAYWRN Composite -- 20 thumb minimum 25 minutes ago
- › Carmina for Epaulet Grey Suede Steinbeck Boot by Patek
- › Human Scales Denny Suede Double Monkstraps by Mrvaerk
- › Brathwait - The classic slim wrist watch by Mrvaerk
- › Ps Paul Smith Laced shoes by yucaseca
- › Tom Ford FT5237 Eyeglasses Color 098 by Mrvaerk
- › Irish Setter Men's 838 Wingshooter 6" Waterproof Lace-up... by seanhorween
- › Borsa Long sleeve shirt by techstyles
- › Neil Barrett - LEATHER TROUSERS by newway
- › Mandarina Duck City Messenger by josh89
- › Quoddy True Penny Loafer by ppith
- › Styleforum Visits Blue Blue Japan
- › Styleforum Eats its Way Through Tokyo
- › David Looks Back at Pitti Uomo 88
- › Streetstyle: The Best Pictures From Pitti...
- › The Styleforum Brief: July, 2015
- › Carmina Shoes Presents: Five Shoes for Five...
- › Help! I need a suit for a wedding!
- › What I learned from my own wedding day, and...
- › Look nice, Dammit: Why you should care - and...
- › Tokyo Diaries, Day 4: Epic Tokyo Photo Dump -...