Recent Images In This Thread
- topicClothingtagged by SYSTEM, 7/18/11
- categoryDress Pantstagged by SYSTEM, 7/18/11
- categoryFootweartagged by SYSTEM, 7/18/11
- categoryPants Shortstagged by SYSTEM, 7/18/11
- topicShoestagged by Cleav, 2/21/15
- topicShoes Explainedtagged by Cleav, 2/21/15
- categorySockstagged by LA Guy, 10/23/13
- categorySuitstagged by SYSTEM, 7/18/11
- categoryTiestagged by SYSTEM, 7/18/11
Related Forum Threads
- High Grade Cleanout....Suits, SCs, Shoes, Ties..DROPS and ADDS!!!! Last post on 2/20/11 at 3:30am in FS: Men's Clothing (Archive)
- Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear) Last post on Today at 12:44 pm in Classic Menswear
- The Grad Lounge Last post on 2/22/15 at 7:08am in Classic Menswear
- HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part IV (starting May 2014) Last post on Today at 2:55 pm in Classic Menswear
- Which Interview Outfit Is Better? With PICS Last post on 1/23/12 at 1:50pm in Classic Menswear
What Should I Ask My Groomsmen to Wear?
Last edited: 9/2/13
- How Should I Start My Business Wardrobe?Last edited: 5/16/13
- Choosing Men's Designer SuitsLast edited: 11/8/13
- What Kind of Suit Should I Buy?Last edited: 6/4/12
- What Should I Wear To A Job Interview?Last edited: 7/25/13
- Andrew Lock
- The Armoury
- Bespoke England
- Blacksmith Labs
- Blue Owl
- Brooklyn Clothing Co
- Carson Street Clothiers
- Conrad Wu
- David Fin
- David Reeves Bespoke
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Elite Suits
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- Foster & Son
- Franco Ercole Bespoke
- Geil Mode
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- Gordon Yao, Hong Kong
- The Hanger Project
- Henry Carter Neckwear
- Howard Yount
- John Elliott + Co
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- M Classic 101
- Meermin Mallorca
- Need Supply Co.
- Neo Nouveau
- No Man Walks Alone
- Oak Room
- Oscar Hunt
- Percy Ivor
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Taylor Stitch
- Temple of jawnz
- Thurston Bros.
- Uncle Otis
- Vastrm Fashion
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Wrong Weather
- Yellow Hook Necktie
Rock Your Socks- show your sock, shoe & pant combos - Page 1103post #16531 of 2159912/18/13 at 8:06am
Styleforum Top Pickspost #16532 of 2159912/18/13 at 8:10ampost #16533 of 2159912/18/13 at 8:12ampost #16534 of 2159912/18/13 at 8:15am
Ah,....the ones I wept over at auction just the other day...must have blanked out the pain...Nice monks, Brostein.
Jungleroller: I get a bit bored of looking at AE sometimes, especially when it's SO unmistakably AE in shape and style. But I really like the colour tone and the longwing is definitely one of the best styles for that last. Really nice.
Euro - that was indeed helpful. Will roll the dice on a 206 when the money tree is back in fruit.post #16535 of 2159912/18/13 at 8:23amwow everybody looks good, stitches your choice of colors and signature GGs
Mimo and jungle you're making me want to try AE -- i had a VERY bad fit experience long time ago and have never gone back, but both of yours look good.
Euro I like the Sydney combo and not too much brown in my view.
AND especially liking the patina on Cleav's Cliffords
CJ Pembroke, on 325 and Dainite
Ted Baker polka dot socks
polo/corneliani flannels, my onepantpost #16536 of 2159912/18/13 at 8:32amQuote:
Jungleroller: I get a bit bored of looking at AE sometimes, especially when it's SO unmistakably AE in shape and style. But I really like the colour tone and the longwing is definitely one of the best styles for that last. Really nice.I completely hear ya. These are my latest and probably last AE shoes. While I like them I've opened my eyes to other makers as well. I do love this Merlot Calf though. In some lights its purple, indoors it almost looks black and in direct sun it looks cherry.post #16537 of 2159912/18/13 at 8:36ampost #16538 of 2159912/18/13 at 8:40am
I found AE's printout guide to sizing very helpful: as I'm very far from any proper shoe shop, have weird feet, and had never bought shoes in US sizes before, I consider that a real bonus. I now have six pairs. Just one note: I find all of them just a little shallow at the top of the instep. Nothing uncomfortable, just a wider lace gap than others. That's something the measuring chart can't help with!
They're not the best shoes I have, to be honest (and I'm a bottom feeder compared to you fellows) either in leather or construction: at the same price range, I find the English makers are a bit better: better soles, thicker more natural leather, and nicer last shapes. BUT for comfortable, decent, lightweight shoes, I really like them. Also, their variety of width fittings gives- a fantastic range of ready-in-stock sizes, which literally nobody else matches. That's the advantage of scale. As is the "Shoebank" - a reveation, from which several pairs of mine were born. The shell NSTs above - my only "heavier" pair of AEs, were $249. Some of the others as little as $99 - and not all seconds either, some just end of line. At that price, there's no competition. I wouldn't pay full price for AE when it's more expensive than Loake or Barker, most Cheaneys, or Church's, AS, C&J in a sale. But when you get a deal (and they seem to have offers constantly), it's well worth taking some.
So, yeah, do it.post #16539 of 2159912/18/13 at 8:41ampost #16540 of 2159912/18/13 at 9:27ampost #16541 of 2159912/18/13 at 9:44am
I have a walnut calf strand of theirs and I like it very much. They now have the strand in the Merlot color/calf that I have in my MacNeil. I believe AE in general is hit/miss with quality. Some of their lower line shoes I've had great experience with and their higher end cordovan or independence collection I've had issues. Their customer service is top notch in the case of any issues though. edit: They use single JR soles. My first cordovan from them was a MTO and I went with their independence sole because I liked the look of it.
Their websit says JR soles on their cordovan strands - http://www.allenedmonds.com/aeonline/producti_SF1645_1_40000000001_-1
Edited by jungleroller - 12/18/13 at 10:07ampost #16542 of 2159912/18/13 at 9:47ampost #16543 of 2159912/18/13 at 10:05amQuote:
I actually bought my strand in 12 D (online) because I thought that was the proper fit based on my park aves. Since then, I've been properly fitted and gone a step down in all my other AE's to 11.5D. I could see the need to go a hair wider on those though, especially in shell. Do you have an AE in your area to try them on? Even if you don't, they offer free return shipping on exchanges as long as you wear them on carpet to confirm fitment.post #16544 of 2159912/18/13 at 10:13ampost #16545 of 2159912/18/13 at 10:28am
- Rock Your Socks- show your sock, shoe & pant combos
- How Should I Start My Business Wardrobe?
- › The Ultimate Vass (Footwear) Porn Thread 48 seconds ago
- › Linjer Leather Goods -- official affiliate thread 1 minute ago
- › Hotel Furniture 1 minute ago
- › Buying and Selling on eBay: Tips, Tricks, Problems & Questions 1 minute ago
- › HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part IV (starting May 2014) 2 minutes ago
- › US10D shoes DC Lewis navy oxfords and Certo grain derbies - special... 2 minutes ago
- › NBA 2014-2015 Season Thread 3 minutes ago
- › Things that are pissing you off. 3 minutes ago
- › Cheap Kitchen Cabinets 3 minutes ago
- › Proposal Stage, 2 weeks!: Viberg for Styleforum preorders Round1 -... 3 minutes ago
- › Tom Ford FT5237 Eyeglasses Color 098 by Mrvaerk
- › Irish Setter Men's 838 Wingshooter 6" Waterproof Lace-up... by seanhorween
- › Borsa Long sleeve shirt by techstyles
- › Neil Barrett - LEATHER TROUSERS by newway
- › Mandarina Duck City Messenger by josh89
- › Quoddy True Penny Loafer by ppith
- › Timberland Men's Authentics 3-Eye Classic Lug Boat Shoe by Basil Ecurie
- › Aero Leather Cafe' Racer by CafeRacer99
- › Alden Ravello Shell Long Wing Blucher by ppith
- › Sterlingwear Navigator Peacoat by ppith
- › Six questions to ask when vetting your...
- › The truth about how to be great at content...
- › Knit Blazers: What Even Are They?
- › Fok’s Pitti Pick: Wear Coat, Get Blogged
- › What it Means to be Made in Italy
- › How to Smell Fabulous in Florence (and Beyond)
- › The Current State of Americana
- › The Styleforum Brief: February 2015
- › The Styleforum Brief: January 2015
- › Styleforum Interviews Yasuto Kamoshita of...