If you are new to the world of socks I would recommend Pantherella. The best site I have found so far is Woods of Shropshire. I buy all my socks from them.
Recent Images In This Thread
- brandBurlingtontagged by Cleav, 1/17/16
- topicClothingtagged by SYSTEM, 7/18/11
- topicCrockett Jonestagged by Cleav, 1/17/16
- categoryDress Pantstagged by SYSTEM, 7/18/11
- categoryFootweartagged by SYSTEM, 7/18/11
- categoryPants Shortstagged by SYSTEM, 7/18/11
- topicShoestagged by Cleav, 2/21/15
- topicShoes Explainedtagged by Cleav, 2/21/15
- categorySockstagged by LA Guy, 10/23/13
- categorySuitstagged by SYSTEM, 7/18/11More
- categoryTiestagged by SYSTEM, 7/18/11
Related Forum Threads
- HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part IV (starting May 2014) Last post on Today at 11:38 pm in Classic Menswear
- High Grade Cleanout....Suits, SCs, Shoes, Ties..DROPS and ADDS!!!! Last post on 2/20/11 at 3:30am in FS: Men's Clothing (Archive)
- Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear) Last post on Today at 9:33 am in Classic Menswear
- NEW MEMBER INQUIRIES & QUICK QUESTIONS- CLASSIC MENSWEAR: WK OF AUG 24, 2015 Last post on 5/28/16 at 9:36am in Classic Menswear
- NEW MEMBER INQUIRIES & QUICK QUESTIONS- CLASSIC MENSWEAR: WK OF JUL 20, 2015 Last post on 7/28/15 at 1:12pm in Classic Menswear
Allen Edmonds: Sizing Guide
Last edited: 4/29/16
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: 379X LastLast edited: 4/4/16
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: Hampton LastLast edited: 3/24/16
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: Leydon LastLast edited: 3/24/16
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: Van LastLast edited: 3/24/16
- Allen Edmonds
- The Armoury
- Batch Mens
- Craftsman Clothing
- David Fin
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- Falcon Garments
- Freemans Sporting Club
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- H. Stockton
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- The Hanger Project
- H.N. White
- John Elliott
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- Meermin Mallorca
- MILER Menswear
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- Pierpont Leather
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- Ring Jacket
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Uncle Otis
- Vanda Fine Clothing
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Yellow Hook Necktie
Rock Your Socks- show your sock, shoe & pant combos - Page 719post #10771 of 235292/22/13 at 3:30ampost #10772 of 235292/22/13 at 3:34am
I would recommend: www.blacksocks.com - the best quality solid colour over the calf 100% cotton socks. Heavier than the ones below, but very hard wearing, and never fall down. Only downside is limited colours. But they work out pretty cheap if you get three or more pairs - about £12.
Also, www.meschaussettesrouges.com ("My Red Socks") - they are a bit more expensive, about £17, but worth it: lighter weight and softer than the ones above, in 100% cotton from Mazarin with a brilliant range of solid colours, or for something a bit more luxurious, 100% wool from Gammarelli in a more limited range.
Both of these companies have excellent service and will post to you in a few days. The packaging and little touches from Mes Chaussettes Rouges, are very appealing too.
Another little jump up in price gets you www.brescianisocks.com. For the actual Brescianis, I'd say size up as they don't go quite over my big calves in normal size. But they are very nice, available in 100% cotton for many of the ranges, and have great patterns. At the same site (they are actually a US retailer, not Bresciani directly), they have Marciolani socks too. Those are great patterns, but most are mixed with nylon, which I personally don't like. They have some expensive but lovely looking cashmere and silk numbers too.
But if it's all about the money, you could try www.viccel.com They are very cheap and have a great range in different weights, very good service again, and lots of colours and patterns. I am wearing their extra-light socks today (pic above). I have to say they're not quite in the same league so far, based on the two pairs of light socks that I bought: they both shrunk a bit after the first wash, even though it was cold water. Still nice, but no longer over the calf! Also, their colours are a little "artificial" in contrast to the warmer solid colours offered by Mazarin.
P.S. Pantherella look great, but again I have not been able to find any over the calf socks in 100% natural fibres, and personally I don't like nylon mixes, so they're out for me.post #10773 of 235292/22/13 at 3:53ampost #10774 of 235292/22/13 at 6:56ampost #10775 of 235292/22/13 at 7:02ampost #10776 of 235292/22/13 at 7:12amMimo, are you certain that the Gammarellis from http://www.meschaussettesrouges.com/en/ are available in pure merino wool? I can't seem to find an unambiguous description of the socks on the site, stating that it's pure wool. In fact they write that the socks have "reinforced heels and toes", which might be an euphemism for "nylon added"?
I usually buy pantherella from Woods of Shropshire, but http://www.socksfox.com/ might also be an option to try out other brands, though I haven't tried them yet. It is also possible to buy socks straight from http://www.falke.com/ I think.post #10777 of 235292/22/13 at 7:13ampost #10778 of 235292/22/13 at 7:16amQuote:Originally Posted by SHS
Mimo, are you certain that the Gammarellis from http://www.meschaussettesrouges.com/en/ are available in pure merino wool? I can't seem to find an unambiguous description of the socks on the site, stating that it's pure wool. In fact they write that the socks have "reinforced heels and toes", which might be an euphemism for "nylon added"?
I usually buy pantherella from Woods of Shropshire, but http://www.socksfox.com/ might also be an option to try out other brands, though I haven't tried them yet. It is also possible to buy socks straight from http://www.falke.com/ I think.
Hmmm...maybe the My Red Socks guy who's been posting here could elaborate. But i have a couple of pairs, and they certainly feel like pure wool - not hard like the Marciolanis. Anyway, I hope I can be corrected - I just took "reinforced" to mean extra stitching.
Falke have great socks. The problem is they only ship to certain countries, only through those countries' specific websites, and otherwise just refer you to a stockist in a neighbouring country. If you're in the EU great, otherwise it's difficult. I exchanged a few emails with them on this but they haven't added any other shipping options that I can see.post #10779 of 235292/22/13 at 7:39ampost #10780 of 235292/22/13 at 8:32ampost #10781 of 235292/22/13 at 8:36ampost #10782 of 235292/22/13 at 8:45ampost #10783 of 235292/22/13 at 8:46ampost #10784 of 235292/22/13 at 9:04ampost #10785 of 235292/22/13 at 9:17am
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: 379X Last
- › ٭٭٭ No Man Walks Alone - Official Affiliate Thread ٭٭٭ 55 seconds ago
- › The Official Alden Thread for 2016 - Share reviews, sizing, advice,... 1 minute ago
- › Cars We Drive! 1 minute ago
- › FREEMANS SPORTING CLUB - OFFICIAL AFFILIATE THREAD 2 minutes ago
- › LuxeSwap - Official Affiliate Thread 3 minutes ago
- › HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part IV (starting May 2014) 7 minutes ago
- › Wolf vs Goat Appreciation Thread 10 minutes ago
- › www.ehaberdasher.com - affiliate page 10 minutes ago
- › The Watch Appreciation Thread - Part two (Rolex, Patek Philippe, ... 11 minutes ago
- › Crockett & Jones MTO Central 11 minutes ago
- › Dr. Martens Unisex Original 10 Eye Steel Toe Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Chippewa Men's Super Logger Waterproof Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Mosey Life Working Girl Travel Laptop Tote by sprout2
- › Allen Cox Brief trunks by sprout2
- › Sutor Mantellassi Men's C 567 Oxford by sprout2
- › Alden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Longwing by smfdoc
- › Alden Black Shell Cordovan Plain Toe by smfdoc
- › Florsheim Vincent Wingtip Oxford by smfdoc
- › Allen Edmonds Lasalle Dress Shoes by Lobster33
- › Clark Street Casual Shoes by Lobster33
- › Why Pay Such A Premium For Sunspel Or James...
- › In the Details: Lucian Föhr
- › A Sunday Drive: Styleforum Spring GMTOs
- › Should I dryclean my jeans, and if not, how...
- › The 5 Most-Hyped Handbags of the Moment
- › Eight Vignettes in Search of a (Wedding) Theme
- › The Kent Wang Cufflink Giveaway
- › Where to Buy a Last-Minute Wedding Suit for...
- › What to Wear: The Black Tie Wedding
- › What to Wear: The Casual Summer Wedding