If you are new to the world of socks I would recommend Pantherella. The best site I have found so far is Woods of Shropshire. I buy all my socks from them.
Recent Images In This Thread
- topicClothingtagged by SYSTEM, 7/18/11
- categoryDress Pantstagged by SYSTEM, 7/18/11
- categoryFootweartagged by SYSTEM, 7/18/11
- categoryPants Shortstagged by SYSTEM, 7/18/11
- topicShoestagged by Cleav, 2/21/15
- topicShoes Explainedtagged by Cleav, 2/21/15
- categorySockstagged by LA Guy, 10/23/13
- categorySuitstagged by SYSTEM, 7/18/11
- categoryTiestagged by SYSTEM, 7/18/11
Related Forum Threads
- High Grade Cleanout....Suits, SCs, Shoes, Ties..DROPS and ADDS!!!! Last post on 2/20/11 at 3:30am in FS: Men's Clothing (Archive)
- Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear) Last post on 7/29/15 at 8:53pm in Classic Menswear
- NEW MEMBER INQUIRIES & QUICK QUESTIONS- CLASSIC MENSWEAR: WK OF JUL 20, 2015 Last post on 7/28/15 at 1:12pm in Classic Menswear
- NEW MEMBER INQUIRIES & QUICK QUESTIONS- CLASSIC MENSWEAR: WK OF JUL 6, 2015 Last post on 7/12/15 at 5:06pm in Classic Menswear
- NEW MEMBER INQUIRIES & QUICK QUESTIONS- CLASSIC MENSWEAR: WK OF APR 20, 2015 Last post on 4/26/15 at 5:41pm in Classic Menswear
The Styleforum Brief: July, 2015
Last edited: 7/12/15
- Carmina Shoes Presents: Five Shoes for Five WeddingsLast edited: 7/12/15
- Tokyo Diaries, Day 1: It Begins! Ring Jacket, Petrosolaum, and Jun...Last edited: 6/22/15
- What Should I Ask My Groomsmen to Wear?Last edited: 9/2/13
- How Should I Start My Business Wardrobe?Last edited: 5/16/13
- Andrew Lock
- The Armoury
- Buttons 'n' Threads
- David Fin
- David Reeves Bespoke
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- Geil Mode
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- Gordon Yao, Hong Kong
- The Hanger Project
- Henry Carter Neckwear
- Howard Yount
- John Elliott + Co
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- M Classic 101
- Meermin Mallorca
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- Oak Room
- Paul Evans
- Percy Ivor
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Temple of jawnz
- Thurston Bros.
- Uncle Otis
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Wolf vs. Goat
- Wrong Weather
- Yellow Hook Necktie
- Zampa Di Gallina
Rock Your Socks- show your sock, shoe & pant combos - Page 719post #10771 of 221152/22/13 at 3:30am
Styleforum Top Pickspost #10772 of 221152/22/13 at 3:34am
I would recommend: www.blacksocks.com - the best quality solid colour over the calf 100% cotton socks. Heavier than the ones below, but very hard wearing, and never fall down. Only downside is limited colours. But they work out pretty cheap if you get three or more pairs - about £12.
Also, www.meschaussettesrouges.com ("My Red Socks") - they are a bit more expensive, about £17, but worth it: lighter weight and softer than the ones above, in 100% cotton from Mazarin with a brilliant range of solid colours, or for something a bit more luxurious, 100% wool from Gammarelli in a more limited range.
Both of these companies have excellent service and will post to you in a few days. The packaging and little touches from Mes Chaussettes Rouges, are very appealing too.
Another little jump up in price gets you www.brescianisocks.com. For the actual Brescianis, I'd say size up as they don't go quite over my big calves in normal size. But they are very nice, available in 100% cotton for many of the ranges, and have great patterns. At the same site (they are actually a US retailer, not Bresciani directly), they have Marciolani socks too. Those are great patterns, but most are mixed with nylon, which I personally don't like. They have some expensive but lovely looking cashmere and silk numbers too.
But if it's all about the money, you could try www.viccel.com They are very cheap and have a great range in different weights, very good service again, and lots of colours and patterns. I am wearing their extra-light socks today (pic above). I have to say they're not quite in the same league so far, based on the two pairs of light socks that I bought: they both shrunk a bit after the first wash, even though it was cold water. Still nice, but no longer over the calf! Also, their colours are a little "artificial" in contrast to the warmer solid colours offered by Mazarin.
P.S. Pantherella look great, but again I have not been able to find any over the calf socks in 100% natural fibres, and personally I don't like nylon mixes, so they're out for me.post #10773 of 221152/22/13 at 3:53ampost #10774 of 221152/22/13 at 6:56ampost #10775 of 221152/22/13 at 7:02ampost #10776 of 221152/22/13 at 7:12amMimo, are you certain that the Gammarellis from http://www.meschaussettesrouges.com/en/ are available in pure merino wool? I can't seem to find an unambiguous description of the socks on the site, stating that it's pure wool. In fact they write that the socks have "reinforced heels and toes", which might be an euphemism for "nylon added"?
I usually buy pantherella from Woods of Shropshire, but http://www.socksfox.com/ might also be an option to try out other brands, though I haven't tried them yet. It is also possible to buy socks straight from http://www.falke.com/ I think.post #10777 of 221152/22/13 at 7:13ampost #10778 of 221152/22/13 at 7:16amQuote:Originally Posted by SHS
Mimo, are you certain that the Gammarellis from http://www.meschaussettesrouges.com/en/ are available in pure merino wool? I can't seem to find an unambiguous description of the socks on the site, stating that it's pure wool. In fact they write that the socks have "reinforced heels and toes", which might be an euphemism for "nylon added"?
I usually buy pantherella from Woods of Shropshire, but http://www.socksfox.com/ might also be an option to try out other brands, though I haven't tried them yet. It is also possible to buy socks straight from http://www.falke.com/ I think.
Hmmm...maybe the My Red Socks guy who's been posting here could elaborate. But i have a couple of pairs, and they certainly feel like pure wool - not hard like the Marciolanis. Anyway, I hope I can be corrected - I just took "reinforced" to mean extra stitching.
Falke have great socks. The problem is they only ship to certain countries, only through those countries' specific websites, and otherwise just refer you to a stockist in a neighbouring country. If you're in the EU great, otherwise it's difficult. I exchanged a few emails with them on this but they haven't added any other shipping options that I can see.post #10779 of 221152/22/13 at 7:39ampost #10780 of 221152/22/13 at 8:32ampost #10781 of 221152/22/13 at 8:36ampost #10782 of 221152/22/13 at 8:45ampost #10783 of 221152/22/13 at 8:46ampost #10784 of 221152/22/13 at 9:04am
- Rock Your Socks- show your sock, shoe & pant combos
- Carmina Shoes Presents: Five Shoes for Five Weddings
- › Suitsupply NYC 24 seconds ago
- › Alden 403 Indy Brown CXL 7.5 E 1 minute ago
- › Noodles' Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe) 3 minutes ago
- › Gaziano & Girling Appreciation & Shoe Appreciation Theard 4 minutes ago
- › St. Crispin's Appreciation Thread 4 minutes ago
- › Meermin Mallorca Shoes 5 minutes ago
- › Edward Green Appreciation: Pictures, Info, and Where to Buy 6 minutes ago
- › The What Are You Wearing Today (WAYWT) Discussion Thread, Part II 8 minutes ago
- › The Ultimate Vass (Footwear) Porn Thread 8 minutes ago
- › HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part IV (starting May 2014) 10 minutes ago
- › Carmina for Epaulet Grey Suede Steinbeck Boot by Patek
- › Human Scales Denny Suede Double Monkstraps by Mrvaerk
- › Brathwait - The classic slim wrist watch by Mrvaerk
- › Ps Paul Smith Laced shoes by yucaseca
- › Tom Ford FT5237 Eyeglasses Color 098 by Mrvaerk
- › Irish Setter Men's 838 Wingshooter 6" Waterproof Lace-up... by seanhorween
- › Borsa Long sleeve shirt by techstyles
- › Neil Barrett - LEATHER TROUSERS by newway
- › Mandarina Duck City Messenger by josh89
- › Quoddy True Penny Loafer by ppith
- › Styleforum Visits Blue Blue Japan
- › Styleforum Eats its Way Through Tokyo
- › David Looks Back at Pitti Uomo 88
- › Streetstyle: The Best Pictures From Pitti...
- › The Styleforum Brief: July, 2015
- › Carmina Shoes Presents: Five Shoes for Five...
- › Help! I need a suit for a wedding!
- › What I learned from my own wedding day, and...
- › Look nice, Dammit: Why you should care - and...
- › Tokyo Diaries, Day 4: Epic Tokyo Photo Dump -...