• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Crockett & Jones Portman

Golf_Nerd

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hello,

yesterday I visited my local retailer (my fault). He sold me a pair of Crockett & Jones Portman in black. My first pair of Crockett & Jones and my first monk. I love em.

Here is the information printed in:

PORTMAN
5156 12 10 1/2 E X46957

What does this mean?
What last is it?

I can't find them on the Crockett & Jones homepage (and now I know that they have some more shoes which I would like to have, too). Are they discontinued?

Were they handgrade?

The soles look amazing, too. They are finished in black and dark brown.

What do you think: is it a good chioce?

Yours
GN

Baron

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I love the Portman. I think it's been made on a few different lasts. The first time I saw it, Sysdoc post a (copywritten!) photo and it was on the 337 last. More recently, I've seen it on the 350, and now it's listed on the C&J Paris website on the 358. I think I'd call it more of a buckle loafer than a true monk. I thnk of a monk as a derby with a buckle closure, but the Portman to me looks like the Kempton with a slim strap over the top.
portmanzm8.jpg

speedster.8

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Golf_Nerd
Hello, yesterday I visited my local retailer (my fault). He sold me a pair of Crockett & Jones Portman in black. My first pair of Crockett & Jones and my first monk. I love em. Here is the information printed in: PORTMAN 5156 12 10 1/2 E X46957 What does this mean? What last is it? I can't find them on the Crockett & Jones homepage (and now I know that they have some more shoes which I would like to have, too). Are they discontinued? Were they handgrade? The soles look amazing, too. They are finished in black and dark brown. What do you think: is it a good chioce? Yours GN
In the current C&J cat they are listed as HG on the 337 last, anyway the sixe seems to be 10,5E. But as i find no reference to Barons last numbers or 337 I cant say more. There are surely more knowledgeble members here. 12 could be the german market but im just guessing ...

Golf_Nerd

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by speedster.8
In the current C&J cat they are listed as HG on the 337 last, anyway the sixe seems to be 10,5E. But as i find no reference to Barons last numbers or 337 I cant say more. There are surely more knowledgeble members here.
12 could be the german market but im just guessing ...

Thanks!

Is there a reference to read this: 5156 12 10 1/2 E X46957 ?

Are there complete CJ catalogues online?

slt

Reaction score
5156 is the no. of the model, Portman in this case.

12 is the no. of the color, black in this case.

10 1/2 is the size.

E is the width.

Not sure what the X46957 stands for; but I would guess it's some kind of serial no.

Golf_Nerd

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by slt
5156 is the no. of the model, Portman in this case.

12 is the no. of the color, black in this case.

10 1/2 is the size.

E is the width.

Not sure what the X46957 stands for; but I would guess it's some kind of serial no.

Thanks,

I found them on the french CJ homepage:

http://www.crockettandjones.fr/catalogue.php?nouv=1

The referencenumber of the new Portman III is 5450?!

slt

Reaction score
The referencenumber of the new Portman III is 5450?!

The Portman III is on the 358 last.

As previously mentioned here, the Portman has also been made on both the 337 and 350 lasts, and these two versions would have had different model numbers.

So yours must be on either the 337 or the 350. It should be quite easy to see which one it is.

citoyen

Reaction score
golf nerd, it would be interesting to know which german dealer sells the "french" c&j models. so where did you buy them? in stuttgart? i do not think that the local breuninger sells these models...

thanks in advance

Golf_Nerd

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by citoyen
golf nerd, it would be interesting to know which german dealer sells the "french" c&j models. so where did you buy them? in stuttgart? i do not think that the local breuninger sells these models...

thanks in advance

Hello citoyen,

I bought these shoes in Stuttgart at Tizian (auf der Koenigstrasse). Tiazian has CJ, Churchs, Dinkelacker, Ludwig Reiter, AE, Lendvay&Schwartz and many others

I don't know anything about CJ. But the shoes I bought are only on the french CJ homepage (I can't find them somewhere else). So are they french?

And whats the clue about the model number? Mine are 5156. On internet there are only 5150!

I would love to get more information about CJ. Which lasts do they have (and where is the difference between). What is the difference between handgrade and the ohters ...

Yours GN

citoyen

Reaction score
thanks gn.

some basic information about c&j:
they are one of the northampton shoe factories and produce mainly two lines of shoes under their own label
a) benchgrade models
b) handgrade models
c) they are said to produce shoes for brooks brothers, ralph lauren and for certain retailers such as ben silver and their like to different specifications (e.g. the aforementioned handgrade/benchgrade specs.)

the main differences between the handgrade and benchgrade line are the tunneled sole stiching, a different lining and the amount of antiquing aka elbow grease put in the finishing of the colour. perhaps i missed one or another point. but the most important difference is that certain lasts are restricted to the handgrade level shoes such as the 337 last (almost every shoe out of handgrade line is formed on that last, except for one or two loafers and a discontinued oxford on the 330 last - a rounded toe last)

the "french" models are the ones pictured on the french c&j site. they are more pointy/sleek and some would say a little more fashion forward. i like them very much from the pictures. by now i haven´t had the chance to touch one. these "french" shoes normally are not retailed other than in paris, that is why i asked you.
perhaps the tizian shop ordered your shoes as a special order for the shop -which requires a minimum order of 6 shoes- that might be the reason they had it.

so far, others may chime in and complete my sermon.

citoyen

Golf_Nerd

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by citoyen
thanks gn ...

... the "french" models are the ones pictured on the french c&j site. they are more pointy/sleek and some would say a little more fashion forward. i like them very much ...

citoyen

Hello,

and thanks for providing information.

My impression was the same. They are some kind of fashion forward (which I am slightly). Because of that challenge I bought them.

Ok, it's only shoes. But it struck me!

GN

Golf_Nerd

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Josef Seibel
ja, golf, i´m dying to know. please tell us about your dealer.
Hello Josef, there is an old (I think) italian working. And some ladies. From time to time I visit the store. I never bought shoes by one of the ladies. When I met him, I tell him the problems: - I don't give a sh*t on brands (but his shop has only the best brands) - the shoes must look brilliant on me and the kind of suits I wear - the shoes must be comfortable, because I wear them while work for 10-12 hours - should not brake the 300 Euro mark (including shoe trees and cream) With all that high quality shoes he sells, it is nearly impossible to get away with a good looking pair and not spending serveral hundreds more. So we are talking. He askes me for what kind of ocasion I need these shoes. And I give some more information. While talking I walk up and down the showroom and ask frequently: "What's about them?". Sometimes his reponse is: "Oh, man, you don't know anything about shoes, do you?!" And what can I say.
smile.gif
Then he dissapears for two or three minutes to the stock and comes back with another attempt/ bargain. And finally I find shoes I never thought of. I really enjoy it and learned so much about shoes. Everytime I meet him he sells me a pair of shoes. OK, this time I spent more, but I am proud of (live and let live?!). Yours GN

slt

Reaction score
And whats the clue about the model number? Mine are 5156. On internet there are only 5150!

Just to try to be a bit more clear about the different versions of the Portman.

The one listed on the French site is named Portman III, has the model no. 5450 and is on the 358 last.

Since yours are model no. 5156, I thinks it's safe to assume that they are not the same version as the one on the French site, but rather one of the versions on either the 337 last or the 350 last.

If you look at the Shoe Pictorial Index http://www.styleforum.net/showthread.php?t=33612 under the C&J section, you can see several examples on the 337 and the 350 lasts; e.g. the two Balmuir versions. And I would gather that your version is one of those two lasts.

To add a bit to the confusion, there is also a picture of a Portman on the 350 last, and as far as I can see, this picture is identical to the one on the French site, which could lead one to believe, that when they put the Portman III on their site, it was so new that they didn't have a proper picture yet, so they just used an old picture of the 350 version
wink.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads