or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Health & Body › Benching on Smith Machine vs. Benching on flat bench
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Benching on Smith Machine vs. Benching on flat bench - Page 2

post #16 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omar1223 View Post
what about squats on a smith machine as compared to a barbell?

i do squats on the SM bc it helps keep my back straight and i have better form. with the barbell, i cheat sometimes by not keeping my back straight.

am i really missing out on benefits from squatting on the SM?

Completely and utterly missing out. No contest.
post #17 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omar1223 View Post
what about squats on a smith machine as compared to a barbell?

i do squats on the SM bc it helps keep my back straight and i have better form. with the barbell, i cheat sometimes by not keeping my back straight.

am i really missing out on benefits from squatting on the SM?

You should never use the smith machine. Ever. You're not working a whole range of muscles because of it, and usually you're doing a lot less weight than what you're putting on because of the pulley system.

With your squat, you're probably doing too much weight, resulting in your back being curved. Also, check the position of your feet = extermely important
post #18 of 36
Wouldn't the solution be to fix your form instead of put a band-aid on it? ^^^^
post #19 of 36
Only use smith when there's absolutely no other choice. For example, I'm back home and using the community recreation center, which has two smith machines but no goddamn bench. I will be incredibly happy when I move in a month.
post #20 of 36
I say do the ole push up routine. vary the distance of your hands, elevate your legs. 3 sets of 40 will do the trick or more depending on your fitness level. thats if you are going for cuts and not bulk
post #21 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by tuba74 View Post
I say do the ole push up routine. vary the distance of your hands, elevate your legs. 3 sets of 40 will do the trick or more depending on your fitness level. thats if you are going for cuts and not bulk

post #22 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4kit View Post
Bench Presses >> Pushups

Pushups are a triceps workout anyways.

Obviously, this guy only knows one way to do pushups
post #23 of 36
Pushups can work your entire upper body if you vary your hand and body positions...
post #24 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by ama View Post
Pushups can work your entire upper body if you vary your hand and body positions...

HOw does it work your back? Pushup from your back?
post #25 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by beasty View Post
HOw does it work your back? Pushup from your back?

Let it go. This has happened before. There are some exceptionally stupid and self-deluded people here who do not understand physiology and load.
post #26 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by eidolon View Post
Let it go. This has happened before. There are some exceptionally stupid and self-deluded people here who do not understand physiology and load.

HEy, I have seen people who push up with their back facing the floor, with legs on floor and hands over the head on floor as well, and they push up and down strengthening or destroying their lower back/spine. Maybe ama is on to something here we dont know.
post #27 of 36
The actual smith bar weighs 25lbs vs 45 lbs, i believe, as well.
post #28 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by bizzblar View Post
The actual smith bar weighs 25lbs vs 45 lbs, i believe, as well.

According to the manufacturer, the bar is usually about 16 kg.
But as I said, it depends on many factors, if the machine is old, without any plates on the bar, it can even float in the air a few seconds before slowly descending and I can feel there is no weight even on an empty bar.
post #29 of 36
the one at my gym has a weight of 15 lbs only.
post #30 of 36
Why the hell can't people just do a regular bench if you are so inclined to get big boobies? I think with a variation in pushups, you can make the chest stronger and also the shoulder girdle. Hell try doing pushups at the end of a chest workout, it is pretty hard. Also doing planks(sp) is very good.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Health & Body
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Health & Body › Benching on Smith Machine vs. Benching on flat bench