or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › wearing a tie with jeans
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

wearing a tie with jeans

post #1 of 68
Thread Starter 
how can this look be pulled off?
post #2 of 68
Yes, be careful though. Wear a slim tie.
post #3 of 68
Sure, as long as you wear a jacket.

Tie without a jacket = BAD, no matter what pants you wear.
Nice tie with jacket and jeans = great casual look

As a nice but casual outfit, I often wear a blazer with a shirt and tie and jeans. This also works well with the jacket of a summer suit. Make sure you match this with a nice pair of casual shoes. If you don't have nice shoes, stay at home.
post #4 of 68
Flat bottom silk knits only.









IMHO
post #5 of 68
If I just got off work (say, a thursday or friday night), then I have an excuse to be wearing a tie with my jeans.

However, if its a weekend, I just find it silly to be adorning a tie for casual attire, esp. with jeans.
post #6 of 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans View Post
Sure, as long as you wear a jacket.

Tie without a jacket = BAD, no matter what pants you wear.

So your never supposed to wear a tie without a jacket, when did this happen?
post #7 of 68
Of course you can.
post #8 of 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by modagg View Post
So your never supposed to wear a tie without a jacket, when did this happen?


First off, as someone else said, to pull off the look, the tie has got to be a (very) skinny tie.

I also think its almost necessary not to wear a jacket (ie sport coat/blazer). Sport coat and jeans sans tie, okay, tie and jeans sans sport coat, okay, but when you're wearing a tie and a sport coat, aren't you going for a level of formality beyond jeans? Unless you're working as a tv anchor or something...

However, since I'm less stylishly daring, I do think it needs some kind of cover, and pairing it with a cardigan or a jacket (something like a barracuda or the more stylish baseball jackets perhaps) helps. Just my two cents...
post #9 of 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by modern_leifeng View Post
First off, as someone else said, to pull off the look, the tie has got to be a (very) skinny tie.

I also think its almost necessary not to wear a jacket (ie sport coat/blazer). Sport coat and jeans sans tie, okay, tie and jeans sans sport coat, okay, but when you're wearing a tie and a sport coat, aren't you going for a level of formality beyond jeans? Unless you're working as a tv anchor or something...

However, since I'm less stylishly daring, I do think it needs some kind of cover, and pairing it with a cardigan or a jacket (something like a barracuda or the more stylish baseball jackets perhaps) helps. Just my two cents...

I forgot I was in the mens clothing section so I was thinking black raw jeans and a skinny tie.
post #10 of 68
I'm tempted to just say 'no', but I can imagine how it might be done. You need a casual shirt, like an OCBD, a more casual tie (like one with repp stripes), and dark slim-fitting straight leg jeans. Then, maybe.
post #11 of 68
I think it comes off as contrived, unless you do it perfectly and are clamoring for attention or to make a statement.
post #12 of 68
you can, the look is best pulled off if you are young and fit though
post #13 of 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by samantha View Post
you can, the look is best pulled off if you are young and fit though
Right, Samantha. But if you aren't young and fit then you shouldn't be wearing jeans in the first place.
post #14 of 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans
But if you aren't young and fit then you shouldn't be wearing jeans in the first place.
I don't think that's necessarily true. If you're fit at all, you'll look pretty young. At age 80, you can easily pull off a look of about 40 if you workout intensely 3 times a week and have been fit your whole life. That alone may be enough to pull off the jeans look.

Personally I think it's a very hard look to pull off. Maybe I'll try it out this afternoon when I get back home.
post #15 of 68
make sure its a skinny tie, knit ties work really well for me. Don't forget tie clip
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › wearing a tie with jeans