or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Modified Brooks Brothers OCBD: Improvement or Crime against Nature?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Modified Brooks Brothers OCBD: Improvement or Crime against Nature? - Page 7

post #91 of 103
I recently recieved a Jantzan OCBD, with longer collar points, standard placket, 2 button cuffs, and button-thru pocket. However, I ordered it with NO collar interlining and got a lining
post #92 of 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by mafoofan View Post
Over the years, I've bought more than a dozen OCBDs from Brooks Brothers and gave Mercer a crack. I would've tried J. Press, but their stock shirts are tents on me and they don't do made-to-measure OCBDs. Until now, no OCBD has completely satisfied me. So, I decided to give Brooks Brothers' made-to-measure program another try--but this time, I implemented some modifications to the classic format. To make the collar higher and improve the collar roll, I had them implement a two-button collar. The old, single-button collar tended to flatten on my neck; this one stays up and looks better with a jacket. In the interest of making the shirt dressier, I also replaced the standard placket with a French placket (or 'no placket', if you prefer). I've never liked the way a rounded barrel cuff looks poking out of a jacket sleeve, so I got rid of the standard OCBD cuff and added a two-button mitered cuff. I also eliminated the chest pocket and back pleats. The final shirt is more usable to me. Worn by itself, it looks dressier. It also looks better with a jacket and tie since the collar stands up better and there is more space for a tie knot. Yet, it works just as well as the original when worn casually with jeans, and it's just as durable. Thoughts? Have I created something that shouldn't be?
How did you determine the measurements for the shirts? Did you just give them your Matuzzo shirts to copy? And how many do you have of them by now? They do get a lot of wear in your recent WAYWT shots. Also, doesn't the comparative lower quality of the BB shirts bother you?
post #93 of 103
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sander View Post
How did you determine the measurements for the shirts? Did you just give them your Matuzzo shirts to copy? And how many do you have of them by now? They do get a lot of wear in your recent WAYWT shots.

No, these were not copied from my bespoke shirts. I just went through BB's regular MTM process. I just specified a few out-of-the-ordinary things to get the final result.
post #94 of 103
What is the current pricing for the modified BB OCBD's?
post #95 of 103
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonvolt10 View Post
What is the current pricing for the modified BB OCBD's?

I believe the retail price for a single shirt is ~$120, but you won't pay anywhere near that if you take advantage of promotions, coupons, special credit cards, etc. I think I wound up paying arounr $85 per shirt--but I also bought 10 of them.
post #96 of 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by mafoofan View Post
Actually, it fits pretty damned well. Don't tell Anna. There's about an extra 3/4 inch around the waist, but I think the slightly roomier fit suits the shirt.

Not to dig up an old thread, but what do you think of the armholes on these BB MTMs, Foo? I have three shirts from this program and I am pretty happy with them aside from the armhole. Much too large and a pity when paired with a body that fits, well, pretty damned well.
post #97 of 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by mafoofan View Post
I believe the retail price for a single shirt is ~$120, but you won't pay anywhere near that if you take advantage of promotions, coupons, special credit cards, etc. I think I wound up paying arounr $85 per shirt--but I also bought 10 of them.

Lucky. I called one of their London shops, and MTM starts at £130 here, with no promotions to take advantage of. Definitely not worth it.
post #98 of 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Louche View Post
Not to dig up an old thread, but what do you think of the armholes on these BB MTMs, Foo? I have three shirts from this program and I am pretty happy with them aside from the armhole. Much too large and a pity when paired with a body that fits, well, pretty damned well.

I have the same complaint about mine. The fit is otherwise great, but the arms are huge.
post #99 of 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by mafoofan View Post
Over the years, I've bought more than a dozen OCBDs from Brooks Brothers and gave Mercer a crack. I would've tried J. Press, but their stock shirts are tents on me and they don't do made-to-measure OCBDs. Until now, no OCBD has completely satisfied me.

So, I decided to give Brooks Brothers' made-to-measure program another try--but this time, I implemented some modifications to the classic format.




To make the collar higher and improve the collar roll, I had them implement a two-button collar. The old, single-button collar tended to flatten on my neck; this one stays up and looks better with a jacket. In the interest of making the shirt dressier, I also replaced the standard placket with a French placket (or 'no placket', if you prefer).




I've never liked the way a rounded barrel cuff looks poking out of a jacket sleeve, so I got rid of the standard OCBD cuff and added a two-button mitered cuff.

I also eliminated the chest pocket and back pleats. The final shirt is more usable to me. Worn by itself, it looks dressier. It also looks better with a jacket and tie since the collar stands up better and there is more space for a tie knot. Yet, it works just as well as the original when worn casually with jeans, and it's just as durable.

Thoughts? Have I created something that shouldn't be?

Other than the two-button collar, this is how I've had my button down shirts made, though I have an inverted pleat on the back so I can have just a bit more room to move. I like what you've done. I may have to give the two-button collar shirts a try next time I order.
post #100 of 103
Just please, please, please don't wear a bd with a double breasted suit.
post #101 of 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xiaogou View Post
Just please, please, please don't wear a bd with a double breasted suit.

Just for that, I think I must now put on a db with a bd.
post #102 of 103
Has anyone used BB M2M lately, I believe their prices have gone up considerably
post #103 of 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slickman View Post

Has anyone used BB M2M lately, I believe their prices have gone up considerably

I went in during their latest MTM event in March of this year and ordered an odd jacket, pair of odd trousers and a shirt. The shirt's retail value was $175 which came to between $130-$135 after the 25% MTM event discount. Since I only bought one shirt, I didn't receive the further 15% discount Foo mentioned for ordering multiple shirts and can't confirm if that still exists. Fabric was a decent (better than BB entry level but not top tier stuff) blue end-on-end.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Modified Brooks Brothers OCBD: Improvement or Crime against Nature?