or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › Leather Jackets: Post Pictures of the Best You've Seen/Owned?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Leather Jackets: Post Pictures of the Best You've Seen/Owned? - Page 1045

post #15661 of 16655
Quote:
Originally Posted by dieworkwear View Post


Brown is probably easier to wear for the average guy, but it really depends what you want. Black looks better for double riders; brown is probably better for bombers. Bombers are arguably easier to wear, but some guys really like DRs.

Again, think you should focus more on design than quality. Looks are obviously subjective, but the stuff you've been posting doesn't look good to me (again, subjectively). Given that, I'm not sure why it matters if it's built well or not. FWIW, pre-distressed leathers are sometimes done to hide the imperfections in a poor quality hide -- although it's sometimes also just a design feature. Almost any jacket will last five years, even the cheapest ones. You're paying a premium so that a jacket looks good, not so that it can last past five years.

I think you should just set your purchase off for six or eight months and pay attention to the styles and brands you like, then figure things out from there.

Good advice! Well i am not really sure what design i want so maybe it's need better to wait.

 

What do you mean "I am not sure why it matter if it's built well or not"? I don't want my leather jacket for 300+ eur to break apart or change color (or whatever else may happen) because it's very poor quality stuff.

 

I mean you guys dislike these no-name brands, then my question is, what's wrong with them? If it's same as comparing 30K watch to 500 watch, then I am perfectly fine with 500 watch because it's still great watch and will last for ages.

post #15662 of 16655
Quote:
Originally Posted by estranged View Post

What do you mean "I am not sure why it matter if it's built well or not"? I don't want my leather jacket for 300+ eur to break apart or change color (or whatever else may happen) because it's very poor quality stuff.

I mean you guys dislike these no-name brands, then my question is, what's wrong with them?
Quote:
Originally Posted by dieworkwear View Post

1. I don't really care for the pre-distressed leathers you've been posting.

2. Just personal preference, but I also don't care for the all-black leathers, where the hardware is also black.

3. I don't know anything about Superior New York, Be Edgy, of Dekker. Not crazy about the designs though.

5. I would again focus less on quality and more on design.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieworkwear View Post

Again, think you should focus more on design than quality. Looks are obviously subjective, but the stuff you've been posting doesn't look good to me (again, subjectively). Given that, I'm not sure why it matters if it's built well or not.

Almost any jacket will last five years, even the cheapest ones. You're paying a premium so that a jacket looks good, not so that it can last past five years.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dieworkwear View Post

IMO, quality takes second place to design.

No ~400 Euro leather jacket is going to fall apart on you. Your biggest risk is buying something you might not like in a year.

I'm saying quality doesn't seem like it matters much because the jackets you've been posting don't look that great in the first place.
post #15663 of 16655
Quote:
Originally Posted by dieworkwear View Post





No ~400 Euro leather jacket is going to fall apart on you. Your biggest risk is buying something you might not like in a year.

I'm saying quality doesn't seem like it matters much because the jackets you've been posting don't look that great in the first place.

So you dislike All Saints or S&S leather jackets because they don't look "good" to you? And by by "good" I assume we're talking about looks and design here?

 

I somehow thought that main reason why you guys are ditching these brands are quality.

post #15664 of 16655
The design is bad. The quality is probably not great, but it also probably won't fall apart. If that's your minimum requirement for quality, shrug.
post #15665 of 16655
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyc wid it View Post

The design is bad. The quality is probably not great, but it also probably won't fall apart. If that's your minimum requirement for quality, shrug.

Well I am into jackets for a week now, so I have no idea what "quality" supposed to mean. If if does not break or change color in a bad way I guess it's fine for me.

 

But design is so subjective, I personally find all these bomber jackets very oldstyle and probably not something I would wear being 26 years old.

 

But again I think i'll take a step back and try out many jackets before buying one, i am not sure yet which design I like myself.

post #15666 of 16655

Anybody have any experience with Levis "Made & Crafted" brand? I am thinking about this one. Was wondering about quality...

 

Thanks

 

http://www.levi.com/US/en_US/mens-clothing-jackets/p/198260003

post #15667 of 16655
Quote:
Originally Posted by estranged View Post

Well I am into jackets for a week now, so I have no idea what "quality" supposed to mean. If if does not break or change color in a bad way I guess it's fine for me.

But design is so subjective, I personally find all these bomber jackets very oldstyle and probably not something I would wear being 26 years old.

But again I think i'll take a step back and try out many jackets before buying one, i am not sure yet which design I like myself.

The jacket you posted is pretty tame (and kind of overdesigned/weird pattern) relative to a lot of the other stuff in this thread... you glossed over all the Margiela, Rick and other things.
post #15668 of 16655
Quote:
Originally Posted by G Khan View Post

Anybody have any experience with Levis "Made & Crafted" brand? I am thinking about this one. Was wondering about quality...

Thanks

http://www.levi.com/US/en_US/mens-clothing-jackets/p/198260003

I haven't handled their leathers - I could be wrong, but I don't think they do a ton of leathers - but IME Levi's M&C stuff is fine. They describe that one as lightweight, so it's probably going to be less rugged than other options in that style (not that level of ruggedness is necessarily a good or bad thing). Design looks pretty standard for a DR, more on the minimalist side.

IMO the fit on the model looks pretty bad. It's possible that he needs to size down one, or it could just be an unflattering cut for him. Note how much extra material there is around the midsection in the picture where it's zipped up. The shoulders also look a touch large on him, so it may be more a question of needing to size correctly rather than the jacket just having a boxy cut.

Two other really subjective things:

- The jacket has gusseted shoulders, which I like because of the extra freedom of movement. Some people prefer no gussets because it makes the back look cleaner.
- It has a one-way zipper, which I'm not a huge fan of on double riders. Some prefer a one-way zip because two-way zips are a little clunkier to deal with.
post #15669 of 16655
Quote:
Originally Posted by notwithit View Post


I haven't handled their leathers - I could be wrong, but I don't think they do a ton of leathers - but IME Levi's M&C stuff is fine. They describe that one as lightweight, so it's probably going to be less rugged than other options in that style (not that level of ruggedness is necessarily a good or bad thing). Design looks pretty standard for a DR, more on the minimalist side.

IMO the fit on the model looks pretty bad. It's possible that he needs to size down one, or it could just be an unflattering cut for him. Note how much extra material there is around the midsection in the picture where it's zipped up. The shoulders also look a touch large on him, so it may be more a question of needing to size correctly rather than the jacket just having a boxy cut.

Two other really subjective things:

- The jacket has gusseted shoulders, which I like because of the extra freedom of movement. Some people prefer no gussets because it makes the back look cleaner.
- It has a one-way zipper, which I'm not a huge fan of on double riders. Some prefer a one-way zip because two-way zips are a little clunkier to deal with.

Thanks for your opinion. That is the current/new one they have out...I'm also looking at the older one, which is heavier weight. 

 

s-l1600.jpg

 

s-l1600.jpg

 

s-l1600.jpg

 

s-l1600.jpg 

post #15670 of 16655
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyc wid it View Post


The jacket you posted is pretty tame (and kind of overdesigned/weird pattern) relative to a lot of the other stuff in this thread... you glossed over all the Margiela, Rick and other things.

so I am looking over this thread and found this picture:

I think this is exact type of jacket I'd love to have (I am talking about shape itself). It's very simple and neutral. Is there a name for this jacket so I can search for it in future?

post #15671 of 16655
Quote:
Originally Posted by estranged View Post

I think this is exact type of jacket I'd love to have (I am talking about shape itself). It's very simple and neutral. Is there a name for this jacket so I can search for it in future?

That's a vintage design from Levis Vintage Clothing. I guess you could call it an early style of a cafe racer, which is a kind of close-fitting, zip-up motorcycle jacket. Most cafe racers wont' look like that though.

That one was made for Skyfall (the James Bond movie), so sometimes you'll see it listed online under that name.
post #15672 of 16655
Quote:
Originally Posted by dieworkwear View Post


That's a vintage design from Levis Vintage Clothing. I guess you could call it an early style of a cafe racer, which is a kind of close-fitting, zip-up motorcycle jacket. Most cafe racers wont' look like that though.

That one was made for Skyfall (the James Bond movie), so sometimes you'll see it listed online under that name.

good to know sir, appreciated!

post #15673 of 16655

That LVC jacket is called the "Menlo."  I previously owned one.  Decent jacket, but not great. 

post #15674 of 16655
Quote:
Originally Posted by estranged View Post
 

so I am looking over this thread and found this picture:

I think this is exact type of jacket I'd love to have (I am talking about shape itself). It's very simple and neutral. Is there a name for this jacket so I can search for it in future?

Like previous answers, this is in the LVC "Menlo" series.  It's actually, iirc, the first of that series, and is a version of the "halfbelt" styles that were common in the 1930s.  This one actually closelt resembles a jacket that Sears Roebuck made a lot of in the 20s and 30s.  

 

Aero does a version, called the "Hercules": http://www.aeroleatherclothing.com/product-detail.php?id=1406

post #15675 of 16655

Guys, I'm a newbie to leather jackets but I'd just thought I'd post this for you guys to take a look. 

I'd recently acquired a suede A1 flight jacket via a fairly new SF affiliate @CraftsmanCo after chancing upon their thread here. They are based in HK and I thought their product looked fairly good.

The order system is through email and was fairly quick and pain free. Responses were fast and informative. 

They have standard sizes as well as MTM options (at an up charge). I'd gotten in on their early bird offer that gave a discount off their normal price, and waiver of the MTM fee. 

I'd chosen the A1 model, in polo suede. Polo suede is actually not available normally (though there are numerous other suede color options), but they'd been able to get a special run of this from their supplier, after we'd managed to accumulate a number of interests. 

Customisible options (at no up charge) included hand warmer pockets, lining color (bemberg), ribbing colors, and suede covered snap buttons (vs horn buttons) for the bottom 2 buttons. 

Overall, I was very pleased with the product, the suede color was rich and vibrant, and the feel of the suede was great. Construction is very good and stitching was clean throughout. I liked the attention to detail, and felt that whatever was promised, was delivered. 

I am not an expert in leather jacket fit, so I've attached pictures for you guys to take a look. I'm open to critique. But overall, I'm happy with the way it fits.

Sorry about the lighting, didn't have time to take better pics, was in a rush to go to work. 

 

Disclaimer - I did not receive any perks for this review, and am in no way shilling.

 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Streetwear and Denim
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › Leather Jackets: Post Pictures of the Best You've Seen/Owned?