or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › Leather Jackets: Post Pictures of the Best You've Seen/Owned?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Leather Jackets: Post Pictures of the Best You've Seen/Owned? - Page 1037

post #15541 of 16653
This collaboration between Schott and UO looks like it might be up your alley. I believe it's the 626 fit?

http://www.urbanoutfitters.com/urban/catalog/productdetail.jsp?id=36657054&category=BRANDS
post #15542 of 16653
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hill View Post

I'm looking to buy a leather jacket with a budget of $1k. Knowing nothing about leather jackets other than what I've read here, I was wondering if I could get some input on this Schott jacket. Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
https://www.schottnyc.com/products/cowhide-leather-motorcycle-jacket.htm

I will not be riding in the jacket and am looking for something I could wear in the Fall, Spring, and Summer. I'm leaning towards a lighter-weight, slim-fitting jacket with a softer, more supple feel than horsehide.

Also, I'm not sure if this is sacrilegious, but I don't care for the belt and buckle on many jackets in a similar style to the one in the link above. Is it possible to have the belt removed? Or, is there a similar style without a belt (but in my price range) that someone may be able to recommend? I've checked Aero, Himel, Real McCoy's, and Lewis Leathers (don't care for the logo on the outside of the Lewis), but they are either out of my price range, too heavy/stiff of a leather, or not the style I'm after.

Any thoughts on the Schott jacket and/or recommendations on other jackets in a similar style would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance for the help
.

Belt is attached to the sides of the Perfecto, but you can have a tailor remove it. TBH, I don't think it's that big of a deal when worn. You may want to try it at least in person before making a decision.

AFAIK, all Schott jackets are made from thick and heavy materials -- even the UO one (although it's softer than the mainline jackets). For a beltless DR made from a truly soft material, you might want to check The Arrivals (relatively new fashion brand), Beams Plus (available at Mr. Porter), and Falcon Garments (affiliate brand on this forum). You basically want to search fashion brands, not workwear labels like Schott, Aero, Real McCoys, etc.
post #15543 of 16653
Quote:
Originally Posted by dieworkwear View Post

The Arrivals

 

Tried on a couple jackets from these guys (both the Lautner and the Preston), and I found them both very solid, particularly for the price. Midweight, smooth leather (cow, but really nice cow) with a good hand, solid linings, and the construction was far from immaculate, but as good as most stuff I've seen in the $1000-$1500 range. They definitely fit their Direct to Consumer claim of hitting above their weight. Made in America too.

 

I didn't keep either one because the styles just didn't work for me (Preston was too gaudy, Lautner lapels looked massive on me), but the Preston is a busier riff on the L01 (more visible hardware, pads on the shoulders), and the Lautner is an un-cropped Acne Gibson with (great in theory, more questionable in practice) wool ribbing instead of suede on the back panels, and the originals are both plenty popular. Definitely worth considering if the designs resonate.

post #15544 of 16653
That Lautner jacket looked cool until I saw the knit back
post #15545 of 16653

It actually looks worse in person, especially the ribbing under the arms.

 

I like the concept...by putting something that stretches in the lower back and lower forearm, they can put a heavier taper on the body and the sleeves while keeping the patterns simple, and it'll still fit most people well. But the ribbing doesn't lay flat with the leather at the seam, so you've got this nice leather panel that gets interrupted by a big wad of fabric right at the edge. And the ribbing itself isn't that great. They seem like they're doing plenty fine financially because I think their women's side sells very well, but some of their designs - Lautner included - feel like they're trying too hard.

 

I also seriously question the longevity of a panel of ribbing that large.

post #15546 of 16653
Great stuff, thanks guys. Very helpful and much appreciated.
post #15547 of 16653
here's my new Mister Freedom Campus jacket bought on the forum here. Hat is from the master Art Fawcett.


post #15548 of 16653
Dave Matthews meets Tom Hanks?


(both compliments!)


Looks like a cool jacket but purely my opinion here, seems a bit 'shrunken'. Maybe wear it open? I dunno, honestly it just looks too small to my eye
post #15549 of 16653
jacket is way too short
post #15550 of 16653
Quote:
Originally Posted by dieworkwear View Post

Belt is attached to the sides of the Perfecto, but you can have a tailor remove it. TBH, I don't think it's that big of a deal when worn. You may want to try it at least in person before making a decision.

AFAIK, all Schott jackets are made from thick and heavy materials -- even the UO one (although it's softer than the mainline jackets). For a beltless DR made from a truly soft material, you might want to check The Arrivals (relatively new fashion brand), Beams Plus (available at Mr. Porter), and Falcon Garments (affiliate brand on this forum). You basically want to search fashion brands, not workwear labels like Schott, Aero, Real McCoys, etc.

schott > whatever "the arrivals" is.

Guys please don't buy those garbage jackets from arrivals with the ugly ass back panel. Thats just a cheap way for them to save on leather and compromise a classic jacket. There is a reason a good leather costs a decent amount, don't skimp and look at brands that no one talks about in this thread. The above in bold that dieworkwear mentions is good stuff, schott is cheapest of them all. No idea what beams plus is. I'd rather buy a used great jacket than pay full retail for something sub par.

TOJ/Falcon has a lot of stuff floating around on ahem gra@iled............

here is a link where member @Adroit gives a list of a lot of great leather makers: http://www.styleforum.net/t/71625/leather-jackets-post-pictures-of-the-best-youve-seen-owned/11505#post_7246707
post #15551 of 16653
Quote:
Originally Posted by sinnedk View Post

Guys please don't buy those garbage jackets from arrivals with the ugly ass back panel. Thats just a cheap way for them to save on leather and compromise a classic jacket. There is a reason a good leather costs a decent amount, don't skimp and look at brands that no one talks about in this thread. The above in bold that dieworkwear mentions is good stuff, schott is cheapest of them all. No idea what beams plus is. I'd rather buy a used great jacket than pay full retail for something sub par.

I don't care for the one with the knit panel, but from what the OP said, it sounded like he wants a fashion jacket. Boiling things down to "good" and "bad" misses the nuances of design. Aero, Schott, The Real McCoys are cut and made in a certain way, which makes them look like rugged workwear originals (which they are). You can style them differently, obviously, but if someone wants a jacket that's "soft," "lightweight," "slim fitting," "not something he'll ride in," "something he can wear three seasons" -- he basically sounds like he wants a fashion reinterpretation of those originals. That's like someone wanting something like MMM's five-zip lambskin cafe racer and you telling them "here, wear this Buco J-100 repro."

To the OP, another one I recently thought of: Golden Bear. Some of their mainline jackets are terrible, but they often manufacture for fashion labels and stores (where they slim up the cut). See the DRs they have at Club Monaco, for example. Those go on sale often, and might even work with their student discount.

Everything Adroit listed in that post is super workwear-y.
post #15552 of 16653
Quote:
Originally Posted by dieworkwear View Post

I don't care for the one with the knit panel, but from what the OP said, it sounded like he wants a fashion jacket. Boiling things down to "good" and "bad" misses the nuances of design. Aero, Schott, The Real McCoys are cut and made in a certain way, which makes them look like rugged workwear originals (which they are). You can style them differently, obviously, but if someone wants a jacket that's "soft," "lightweight," "slim fitting," "not something he'll ride in," "something he can wear three seasons" -- he basically sounds like he wants a fashion-brand reinterpretation of those originals. That's like someone wanting something like MMM's five-zip cafe racer and you telling them "here, wear this Buco J-100 repro."

To the OP, another one I recently thought of: Golden Bear. Some of their mainline jackets are terrible, but they often manufacture for fashion labels and stores (where they slim up the cut). See the DRs they have at Club Monaco, for example. Those go on sale often, and might even work with their student discount.

Everything Adroit listed in that post is super workwear-y.

i get it...
post #15553 of 16653
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hill View Post

I'm looking to buy a leather jacket with a budget of $1k. Knowing nothing about leather jackets other than what I've read here, I was wondering if I could get some input on this Schott jacket.

https://www.schottnyc.com/products/cowhide-leather-motorcycle-jacket.htm

I will not be riding in the jacket and am looking for something I could wear in the Fall, Spring, and Summer. I'm leaning towards a lighter-weight, slim-fitting jacket with a softer, more supple feel than horsehide.

Also, I'm not sure if this is sacrilegious, but I don't care for the belt and buckle on many jackets in a similar style to the one in the link above. Is it possible to have the belt removed? Or, is there a similar style without a belt (but in my price range) that someone may be able to recommend? I've checked Aero, Himel, Real McCoy's, and Lewis Leathers (don't care for the logo on the outside of the Lewis), but they are either out of my price range, too heavy/stiff of a leather, or not the style I'm after.

Any thoughts on the Schott jacket and/or recommendations on other jackets in a similar style would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance for the help.


EDIT: i just saw no hh... i think you can get something similar to the aero bootlegger made for you for under $1k, especially if not hh. i understand the guy at Johnson Leathers does great custom work for reasonable prices, i have one of their vintage rtw jackets and i'm a believer in their quality.

post #15554 of 16653
Quote:
Originally Posted by sinnedk View Post

jacket is way too short

it's definitely a cropped look, but not too short. look gets thrown off by the untucked polo. i typically wear it with a tucked in button down and it works.
post #15555 of 16653
Alexander Wang reversible suede/leather jacket:



2k... It's a shame his prices have been going up...
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Streetwear and Denim
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › Leather Jackets: Post Pictures of the Best You've Seen/Owned?