or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › Leather Jackets: Post Pictures of the Best You've Seen/Owned?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Leather Jackets: Post Pictures of the Best You've Seen/Owned? - Page 978

post #14656 of 16648
Quote:
Originally Posted by LA Guy View Post
 

I like Obscur and Ekam, but c'mon, they have less in common, style-wise, with ToJ (or now, Falcon) than Falcon and ToJ and my little project have to do with Schott, Vanson, Lewis Leathers, and the other "traditonal" leather jacket makers, which are the clear jumping off points for those.  

I agree there. I'm just saying I suspect I would have been coerced by jacket envy to jump on that bandwagon. I have a friend who jsut mentioned he is going to be a in the market for a more traditional biker style this winter so I'm taking note there too as an unsolicited style consultant. As you can see by my recent few pic posts, personally I'm still firmly in the SZ camp, less classic and more avant. You know, the kind of look that makes your Uber driver roll his eyes rather than the look that means you must ride a custom vintage cycle. 

post #14657 of 16648
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tfp1 View Post

If anyone can help find me this jacket you are the best lol

Search for "leather trucker jackets" and you will find a lot of similar designs. It's a bit odd with the epaulets but to each their own.
post #14658 of 16648
Quote:
Originally Posted by psydle View Post
 

I agree there. I'm just saying I suspect I would have been coerced by jacket envy to jump on that bandwagon. I have a friend who jsut mentioned he is going to be a in the market for a more traditional biker style this winter so I'm taking note there too as an unsolicited style consultant. As you can see by my recent few pic posts, personally I'm still firmly in the SZ camp, less classic and more avant. You know, the kind of look that makes your Uber driver roll his eyes rather than the look that means you must ride a custom vintage cycle. 

I don't think that Uber drivers care, one way or the other, as long as you don't look too dangerous, and let's face it, goth ninjas are generally in the class of people very unlikely to be dangerous, as are guys who wear traditional leather jackets with no patches.  I would say that, on the whole, goth ninja wearers are likely to be the less dangerous of the two, just from sizing conventions alone.  

post #14659 of 16648
Quote:
Originally Posted by psydle View Post

I agree there. I'm just saying I suspect I would have been coerced by jacket envy to jump on that bandwagon. I have a friend who jsut mentioned he is going to be a in the market for a more traditional biker style this winter so I'm taking note there too as an unsolicited style consultant. As you can see by my recent few pic posts, personally I'm still firmly in the SZ camp, less classic and more avant. You know, the kind of look that makes your Uber driver roll his eyes rather than the look that means you must ride a custom vintage cycle. 

There's always an element of herd mentality in these circumstances. TOJ did make some very nice jackets at prices where you wouldn't expect MTM. On the other hand, even though they are no longer an option, the choice in leather jackets, as it is in most consumer items, has never been greater. Once he decides on a style and price point he likes, he will probably have no less than 5 - 10 different options, especially in a traditional biker jacket.
post #14660 of 16648
Quote:
Originally Posted by LA Guy View Post

I don't think that Uber drivers care, one way or the other, as long as you don't look too dangerous, and let's face it, goth ninjas are generally in the class of people very unlikely to be dangerous, as are guys who wear traditional leather jackets with no patches.  I would say that, on the whole, goth ninja wearers are likely to be the less dangerous of the two, just from sizing conventions alone.  

My buddies and I (from my upscale Wisteria Lane golf course neighborhood) who ride have started our own "club", and by club I mean we ordered t-shirts from the web in black with a menacing red skull smoking a cig. We couldn't be any less menacing and the idea of patching our jackets with our logo is a total non-starter. We're just sticking with the hipster-like irony of the shirts. I think even if I patched a jacket it wouldn't fool anyone.
post #14661 of 16648
Quote:
Originally Posted by LA Guy View Post
 

I don't think that Uber drivers care, one way or the other, as long as you don't look too dangerous, and let's face it, goth ninjas are generally in the class of people very unlikely to be dangerous, as are guys who wear traditional leather jackets with no patches.  I would say that, on the whole, goth ninja wearers are likely to be the less dangerous of the two, just from sizing conventions alone.  

Careful now. What they lack in physical strength, they make up for in their hurtful words. 

post #14662 of 16648
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tfp1 View Post

If anyone can help find me this jacket you are the best lol

Maybe I can be second best.  That jacket looks most like the Diesel "Luppyr".  It's not a 1:1 match, but it is related, and has many of the same designer details - Epaulet/Passants, the chest pockets, zip front, vertical handwarmer pockets.  Start with that in your google search, and you may find the descendant or ancestor jackets.  it's sorta like an Aviator jacket had a love child with a Type III jacket, while on crack.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisGold View Post

My buddies and I (from my upscale Wisteria Lane golf course neighborhood) who ride have started our own "club", and by club I mean we ordered t-shirts from the web in black with a menacing red skull smoking a cig. We couldn't be any less menacing and the idea of patching our jackets with our logo is a total non-starter. We're just sticking with the hipster-like irony of the shirts. I think even if I patched a jacket it wouldn't fool anyone.

I grew up in a town with a strong 1%er presence (it was the Outlaws), and so NO-ONE wore a double rider or a leather vest unless you were an associate or affiliate, or unless you just wanted to be beat down.  To this day, I wear Type III leathers, which were always less common and always associated with fashion, or a moto style jacket, since those were worn by "sport riders" and racers - dangerous only to themselves.

 

Some things you grow up with, you just can't get out of your head.  I also will never wear a white oxford with jeans.  I went to a high school with a uniform, and 100% of the time, if you wore a white shirt on non-uniform days, it meant that you were the dork who forgot.

post #14663 of 16648
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisGold View Post


There's always an element of herd mentality in these circumstances. TOJ did make some very nice jackets at prices where you wouldn't expect MTM. On the other hand, even though they are no longer an option, the choice in leather jackets, as it is in most consumer items, has never been greater. Once he decides on a style and price point he likes, he will probably have no less than 5 - 10 different options, especially in a traditional biker jacket.

Yeah, he'll do fine, whether he is looking for more traditional design and construction, or with a more "designery" take on traditional styles, like Falcon does or like I'm doing with Luxire.

post #14664 of 16648
Quote:
Originally Posted by LA Guy View Post
 

I'll talk to Luxire and see if we can do this.  The difficult thing would be to get a garment weight natural leather, (most of the stuff I see is made for belts, etc...), and then, finding someone who will dye it.  Maybe I could see if  @nicelynice or someone else in Japan will go to that indigo place again!  Of course, it would have to be horse or something that has a tight grain, or else there is no knowing how much it might shrink, and how.  maybe heavy steer would work.

Ah, to clarify I thought you were talking about a commission for yourself. If I had infinite monies I would be in, colored leathers are under appreciated. But...

post #14665 of 16648
Quote:
Originally Posted by LA Guy View Post
 

Yeah, he'll do fine, whether he is looking for more traditional design and construction, or with a more "designery" take on traditional styles, like Falcon does or like I'm doing with Luxire.

My buddy is more of the patches and spikes variety of leather wearer. He's an ex muay thai dude tho so his proportionals are practically triangular from the wide shoulders to the narrow waist. That is the reason I was trying to push towards something higher end where there would be more options for fit. It will eventually end up with paint, patches and spikes though so I dunno. Most of my friends are of that ilk and I'm the only one in Julius, RO and such.

 

More recently, I'm trying to minimize the street look of the typical "goth-ninja". This fall will be about slim fitting natural fiber trousers with leather jacket rather than knee length tunics and dropcrotch/guidi backzips. I think there is a standardized look for that and while I still default there for some of my casual, I'm trying to elevate to something more original and a little more grown up, albeit still weird. 

post #14666 of 16648
Quote:
Originally Posted by Louys View Post
 

Ah, to clarify I thought you were talking about a commission for yourself. If I had infinite monies I would be in, colored leathers are under appreciated. But...

It would be.  I was just thinking aloud what would need to be done.  Even with access to lots of resources, you often run up against wall, technically.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by psydle View Post
 

My buddy is more of the patches and spikes variety of leather wearer. He's an ex muay thai dude tho so his proportionals are practically triangular from the wide shoulders to the narrow waist. That is the reason I was trying to push towards something higher end where there would be more options for fit. It will eventually end up with paint, patches and spikes though so I dunno. Most of my friends are of that ilk and I'm the only one in Julius, RO and such.

 

More recently, I'm trying to minimize the street look of the typical "goth-ninja". This fall will be about slim fitting natural fiber trousers with leather jacket rather than knee length tunics and dropcrotch/guidi backzips. I think there is a standardized look for that and while I still default there for some of my casual, I'm trying to elevate to something more original and a little more grown up, albeit still weird. 

A lot of my friends are like this as well.  It's like "Oh, great, you are going to wear an "American Fighter" shirt.  Terrific, really."

 

At 5'11" and 175-180 lbs, I am a pretty small/average guy in a group of guys that tend to be much taller and bigger (but I'm faster?)  So the fact that I fit into the largest MA+ jacket, makes me laugh.

post #14667 of 16648
Quote:
Originally Posted by LA Guy View Post

It would be.  I was just thinking aloud what would need to be done.  Even with access to lots of resources, you often run up against wall, technically.

A lot of my friends are like this as well.  It's like "Oh, great, you are going to wear an "American Fighter" shirt.  Terrific, really."

At 5'11" and 175-180 lbs, I am a pretty small/average guy in a group of guys that tend to be much taller and bigger (but I'm faster?)  So the fact that I fit into the largest MA+ jacket, makes me laugh.

Whatever happened to the new Type III from Aero?
post #14668 of 16648
Quote:
Originally Posted by LA Guy View Post
 

It would be.  I was just thinking aloud what would need to be done.  Even with access to lots of resources, you often run up against wall, technically.

 

A lot of my friends are like this as well.  It's like "Oh, great, you are going to wear an "American Fighter" shirt.  Terrific, really."

 

At 5'11" and 175-180 lbs, I am a pretty small/average guy in a group of guys that tend to be much taller and bigger (but I'm faster?)  So the fact that I fit into the largest MA+ jacket, makes me laugh.

ha no, this dude is the oldschool goth industrial archetype, no MMA/Affliction style stuff, just no high-end either. All of my friends are pretty deep, punk and metal scenesters who subsist as artists and craftsman, but this one also enjoys kicking people in the face and is 6' 3" 175 or so. I'm the only one who pretends to be a grown up for 40 hours a week and can afford this shit in exchange for my resignation to boredom. 

 

At 6', 145 lb I only perceived 2 options when I took the plunge into a curated wardrobe:

  1. YSL/Balmain "I'm not sure which one of these tiny pockets in these terribly skinny zipper covered jeans contains my heroin"
  2. Julius, old seasons RO, Obscur. "I'm an xs or J 1 in these". 

 

I chose 2. 

 

Like I said though, the plan is to remove most of the street element and just doing more old world materials, old world fits. I'll post more fits soon. I love the fall and winter. 

post #14669 of 16648
IRO MDR-ish looking leather. The ToJ version was popular, so maybe this will be of interest to some people.

http://www.iroparis.com/us_en/onome-16539.html

Personally dislike the belt, but it looks removable. Brand also looks very Hedi/ Kanye trendy, which may turn some people off.

CREATOR: gd-jpeg v1.0 (using IJG JPEG v80), quality = 90
CREATOR: gd-jpeg v1.0 (using IJG JPEG v80), quality = 90
CREATOR: gd-jpeg v1.0 (using IJG JPEG v80), quality = 90
Edited by dieworkwear - 9/7/15 at 3:55pm
post #14670 of 16648
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisGold View Post

Whatever happened to the new Type III from Aero?

It never got made, unfortunately.  The leather would have been just too heavy for the pattern, so I went with a half belt instead, which is super cool, but also very different.  I do wish that Aero did more leather types.  I've actually been looking at the rebranded Alexander Leathers, Simmon's Bilt, just because they have more leather choices.  My other idea is to get a really heavy denim jacket, probably overdyed, and then get the sleeves replaced with navy leather biker sleeves, and the yoke and top front panels covered with navy leather.  I asked Johnson's for a quote, and they quoted me nearly $750 for the mods.  The base jacket alone is $450 or so, so it'd be a costly product.  The natural leather dyed in indigo intrigues me.  The Luxire pattern for the stock 50Eu is based on my specifications, so if I could source the leather and if they could do it in that for me, that would be an awesome project as well.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Streetwear and Denim
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › Leather Jackets: Post Pictures of the Best You've Seen/Owned?